DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic tried to kill me! Please, help reading the logs.

Reactions
Hi all,

I'm pretty new in the forum but I have one very interesting case to share with you which happened 2 days ago with my Mavic.

The Mavic was in Active Track (Profile) mode and suddenly it accelerated towards me and my wife. Luckily it missed us and nobody was hurt. I was able to pull the sticks Up and Backwards which forced the Mavic to stop otherwise it would have crashed into us or in the trees.

Here is the Flight Log (issues occurs around 7th min): Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
Here is the DAT file (updated): FLY055.DAT

Here is the Video from my phone of the actual accident (50s):

I didn't press anything on the remote or in the app, and according to the logs there were 13 satellites and no problems with the battery or compass. However, maybe I missed something in the log which caused this strange behavior. Please, give it a look and let me know what could cause this spontaneous change in the flight of my Mavic.

This was the second battery that day with no issues. I flew it the day after with no issues again but didn't try the Profile mode :D If you are interested, here is the video from the same day before the accident:
And soon I will post a video from the following day skiing with my friends.

Regards,
Dimitar

Last edited:
Don't you think it's strange that both distance and elevation don't change while you fly around before activating active tracking...?

Reactions: Robbyg
Don't you think it's strange that both distance and elevation don't change while you fly around before activating active tracking...?

Yes very odd. I wish the guy would upload the DAT file.

Snow, Snow, Snow. It's odd what happened but snow and water can throw the Mavics sensors off. That's my guess. It probably got a little confused.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Pablo Reynaldo
oh, first of all the title of the thread is alarmistic, so please correct it. A mavic will NOT kill you ffs.

Now it looks the image recognition got confused , its funny that you did something on the controller before it actually sped up.
Did you by any chance pushed the sticks or something?

Is quite weird that it dived like that.

Reactions: PowerT1998
Hi all,

I'm pretty new in the forum but I have one very interesting case to share with you which happened 2 days ago with my Mavic.

The Mavic was in Active Track (Profile) mode and suddenly it accelerated towards me and my wife. Luckily it missed us and nobody was hurt. I was able to pull the sticks Up and Backwards which forced the Mavic to stop otherwise it would have crashed into us or in the trees.

Here is the Flight Log (issues occurs around 7th min): Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Here is the Video from my phone of the actual accident (50s):

I didn't press anything on the remote or in the app, and according to the logs there were 13 satellites and no problems with the battery or compass. However, maybe I missed something in the log which caused this strange behavior. Please, give it a look and let me know what could cause this spontaneous change in the flight of my Mavic.

This was the second battery that day with no issues. I flew it the day after with no issues again but didn't try the Profile mode :D If you are interested, here is the video from the same day before the accident:
And soon I will post a video from the following day skiing with my friends.

Regards,
Dimitar

What app are you using to record your screen?.

Snow, Snow, Snow. It's odd what happened but snow and water can throw the Mavics sensors off. That's my guess. It probably got a little confused.

Yeah I agree, somehow the sensors got confused, based on the logs there was a spike on the speed from 2mph to up-to 12mph before loosing the subject. Interesting.

oh, first of all the title of the thread is alarmistic, so please correct it. A mavic will NOT kill you ffs.

Now it looks the image recognition got confused , its funny that you did something on the controller before it actually sped up.
Did you by any chance pushed the sticks or something?

Is quite weird that it dived like that.
Could kill you, what if it hit your neck and sliced your jugular vein.. Just Joking..

Reactions: stratos
Your incident may have something to do with the bottom visual sensors/camera. Snow and water confuse the system. I would disable that feature when flying over terrain such as snow, water or anything ground without distinct patterns or features.

Check out Tom's Tech Time on flying over water. He mentioned erratic behavior with the sensors on over water:

Could kill you, what if it hit your neck and sliced your jugular vein.. Just Joking..

Not far from reality, for those who buy carbon fiber props.

A guy made the news in the Caribbean, he sustained a laceration in his forearm trying to hand catch a Phantom equipped with Carbon Fiber propellers. At high speed Carbon Fiber props will slice flesh like if it was butter. Some countries are strict about such things, they only want you to use the plastic props.

Reactions: CC Rider
My thoughts would be towards the many dark spots in with the snow that the mp just got confused. Glad no haircuts on the better half.(or you)

@Dimitar Stoimenov how do you hand catch it? It looks like you have that dialed. Just curious what method works for you.
I haven't got the nerve to try it yet based on the horror stories I have read about it's fight for flight when you get a hold of it.

Reactions: CC Rider
Not far from reality, for those who buy carbon fiber props.

A guy made the news in the Caribbean, he sustained a laceration in his forearm trying to hand catch a Phantom equipped with Carbon Fiber propellers. At high speed Carbon Fiber props will slice flesh like if it was butter. Some countries are strict about such things, they only want you to use the plastic props.

I had an RC heli, with carbon fiber blade. They were like 30 cms long, they meant business.
But mavics, well yeah they will scratch you, yeah you will bleed, yeah they might cause some injury but they blade are quite fragile TBH

My theory is that it was the fault of Obstacle Avoidance. Mavic sensed some obstacle to its left, and so it made the decision to preserve itself at the potential expense of its operator.

And thus the raise of the machines began...

Reactions: KiterTodd

Based on the map, it looks like the Home Point was 130m to the right of the Mavic, pretty much 90 degrees to the direction that the Mavic was pointing. As he moved it closer to himself, the Mavic's distance to Home Point would not change very much, which is why the distance reading shows only a small change in value.

As for the elevation, it looks to me like it definitely is changing as the Mavic descends.

My theory is that it was the fault of Obstacle Avoidance. Mavic sensed some obstacle to its left, and so it made the decision to preserve itself at the potential expense of its operator.

And thus the raise of the machines began...

Mavics don't have sidewards OA... Or were you being sarcastic, given your comment at the end? :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa