DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic: Tropical Climates and Care Refresh.

BB23

Reactions
G'day all,
I'm planning on ordering the Mavic soon but I just had a few questions for those who already own them.

1) Firstly, I've flown quadcopters for most of my life but I still believe that DJI Care Refresh sounds like a great idea, do most people recommend it, and has someone had any issues with it?

2) Can anyone comment on the performance of the drone in tropical conditions? I live in North Australia so for most of the year the days are around 35 C with 40 - 80% humidity (Climate similar to Mumbai)

3) Are the Flymore Combo and Transmitter hood really worth the money?

4) Overall thoughts on the Mavic and whether it is a good introduction into proper photography drones?

Thanks in advance,
BB23.

I have taken the Care Refresh out as I do believe it is worth the money as it now covers water damage as standard. the only real issue with care refresh is you MUST recover your drone to be covered by any claim.

I also purchased the Combo pack and do not regret it at all I have found everything provided useful including the bag. I have not used a hood yet so I cant help with that one sorry.

Living in the UK we do have a lot of moisture in the air :) however I cant help you with the 35 deg's :)

The image quality on my Mavic is very good I have no complaints at all but we always want more :)

1) If your country offers it, people seem happy with it. Almost free replacement if your drone takes a swim. No secondary liability like fixing that neighbor's window, though.

2) Should be fine. Most owners are in the northern hemisphere so haven't had a chance to subject the Mavic to heat, but other Australians haven't been squawking.

3) Fly More Combo is worth it. Even if the money was exactly the same, getting the kit will be faster and easier to order. Many people don't use the goodie bag, but stash it away for next time you have to pack light.

4) It's a cell-phone camera (albeit a 4K camera filling up 6 GB of data per flight). It has serious limitations on lighting conditions, occasional focus issues, heavy compression of video, gimbal erratic eccentricities now and then, shadows and reflections in the scene, and yet... and yet... it does quite well enough to pull off some amazing footage.

I live in the tropics (Cairns, North Queensland) and have had no issues with operating the Mavic in the heat and humidity. In my opinion the Fly More pack is good value - at the very least I'd recommend a couple of extra batteries. I've also paid for the Care Refresh just to have some insurance in the event I total or severely damage my Mavic. I've also ordered the DJI branded ND filters and Controller Hood but have received advice that they are on back order so I can't rate yet.

Thanks for all the replies, still looks like the Mavic is the way to go, everyone's advice has helped a lot :)

Reactions: MalM61
I live in the tropics (Cairns, North Queensland) and have had no issues with operating the Mavic in the heat and humidity. In my opinion the Fly More pack is good value - at the very least I'd recommend a couple of extra batteries. I've also paid for the Care Refresh just to have some insurance in the event I total or severely damage my Mavic. I've also ordered the DJI branded ND filters and Controller Hood but have received advice that they are on back order so I can't rate yet.
Thanks MalM16, I'm in Darwin so I was a bit unsure about how it would handle the wet season, Now do you think we can get DJI to include crocodile damage in the Care Refresh deal? ;)

Thanks MalM16, I'm in Darwin so I was a bit unsure about how it would handle the wet season, Now do you think we can get DJI to include crocodile damage in the Care Refresh deal? ;)
Funny you mentioned the Croc cover I was actually thinking of seeing if I could capture a couple on the northern beaches next time I go out to the beaches.

Reactions: BB23
Funny you mentioned the Croc cover I was actually thinking of seeing if I could capture a couple on the northern beaches next time I go out to the beaches.
Wouldn't that look fantastic, I'd love to try it over one of the rivers up here but I'm not to keen on losing it to birds ect

Wouldn't that look fantastic, I'd love to try it over one of the rivers up here but I'm not to keen on losing it to birds ect
I've had a few birds check out the Mavic in flight but none have had a good at it. Watch out for dogs being walked - I had a couple of heelers come running out of nowhere when I was hovering about 1.5 - 2m off the the ground and had I not seen them in time and climbed rapidly they would have torn it to shreds. Owner said they are always chasing birds.

I've had a few birds check out the Mavic in flight but none have had a good at it. Watch out for dogs being walked - I had a couple of heelers come running out of nowhere when I was hovering about 1.5 - 2m off the the ground and had I not seen them in time and climbed rapidly they would have torn it to shreds. Owner said they are always chasing birds.
Haha, I guess Heelers are called land sharks for a reason, problem is usually the Pee Wee's up here, had a Parrot 2.0 wrecked because of them, the Wedgetails and Galahs will come and have a look but they wont come close, Plovers are another risk, especially out on the wetlands.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61