DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC - "Unsafe to Land"

Cookedinlh

Reactions
Just got me new best friend couple of days ago and been going through the various modes.
It's EVERYTHING I hoped to see and more . . . fantastic little bird, beautifully engineered and built, quiet, agile, a breeze to set up but . .

This morning (3rd flight) I activated "auto-land" and it came down nice and smoothly to about 3 feet and stopped. Controller beeped I think and it said something like " Unsafe to Land - Please take over manually" . . or words to that effect. . . but it was in the middle of a paved open parking lot with nothing around it but my car maybe 10 feet away. . . so I just pull down on the stick and it landed fine. . . but it was going nowhere until I took over. It just halted in a low hover and waited for me to do something.

Anyone else got any knowledge or experience with this?
Thanks

I'm still waiting for my bird, but it could be that on the initial take-off it didn't quite record an obvious Home Point, meaning that the underside cameras could not distinguish the actual zero-elevation-point, so it hovered when it got close. Maybe try taking off from some place that's not all gray, a grassy area, or a take-off mat with a big Target Bullseye on it? Just guessing.

I'm still waiting for my bird, but it could be that on the initial take-off it didn't quite record an obvious Home Point, meaning that the underside cameras could not distinguish the actual zero-elevation-point, so it hovered when it got close. Maybe try taking off from some place that's not all gray, a grassy area, or a take-off mat with a big Target Bullseye on it? Just guessing.

That could be why because I was asking it to land about 30-40 ft from where I took off but that should not have made a difference since I asked it to "Auto-Land" in a flat open space . . . not RTL

Page 51 of the DJI MP Manual states that if the Quad detects an unsafe surface to land, it will hover and wait for Pilot to land it....
Yes that's the issue . . it was perfectly clear, flat and dry pavement

On the vision settings page.
I don't see it maybe I have to have the Mavic connected. I don't see any setting for auto evaluating the landing surface.
I'll connect the Mavic up
Thanks for your help

Last edited:
It's called enable vision positioning
975417f735736b29846f0ca943942de9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: jamgabbi
Just got me new best friend couple of days ago and been going through the various modes.
It's EVERYTHING I hoped to see and more . . . fantastic little bird, beautifully engineered and built, quiet, agile, a breeze to set up but . .

This morning (3rd flight) I activated "auto-land" and it came down nice and smoothly to about 3 feet and stopped. Controller beeped I think and it said something like " Unsafe to Land - Please take over manually" . . or words to that effect. . . but it was in the middle of a paved open parking lot with nothing around it but my car maybe 10 feet away. . . so I just pull down on the stick and it landed fine. . . but it was going nowhere until I took over. It just halted in a low hover and waited for me to do something.

Anyone else got any knowledge or experience with this?
Thanks

Have never had a problem with the auto land but since I have done the recent update it has started doing that as well. I have found that mine won't land on dark concrete/asphalts but will on grey or lighter. Not sure why.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Have never had a problem with the auto land but since I have done the recent update it has started doing that as well. I have found that mine won't land on dark concrete/asphalts but will on grey or lighter. Not sure why.

Same here, only since the update, won't land on concrete, I figured it was because it was a little wet but I guess that's not it. I just landed it on my hand instead

Reactions: Chorusbluck
..in my case, it refused to land in on a slightly tall grass, which is where it took off.. not really an issue for me back then. btw, in most instances RTH to initial take-off point were within 5"..

. . . and I'm not using the Mavic AUTO-LAUNCH for now either. I've see several reports of what appears to be a software glitch that can cause it to misbehave immediately . . can't find the link right now but it's on this board somewhere. . . My new P4P+ arrives today. Can't wait.. . . oops sorry, wrong board.

FOUND IT . . . this is disturbing since there seems to be no clear cause or resolution.
Mavic dropped to the ground after auto takeoff

Reactions: jerryj
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys