DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mavic unstable and drifting on its own, whats wrong ?

networth

Reactions
Im using my mavic for 3 months now, its killer and super stable.
Im on .400 firmware.

I had not used it for last 11 days, as I was away. Just fired it up and I see two very weird things, for the first time.

1. The mavic is not stable, its moving left right front back on its own. Dont know, whats wrong.
Earlier, if I dont have the sticks touched, its simply used to be super 100% stable in the air, no matter what air.
Even im on a calm now today morning, it was moving here and there slowly, even without any sticks.

Earlier, I used to find this behavior, when I used to have VPS sensors off. But today, I checked VPS is even on, still its very unstable.

2. Earlier, when I engage the sticks up down for both left and right, the mavic used to fly front back very very fast and go up down very very fast. But today, it was like going in tripod mode.
WTH!
Even Im on normal mode, not even any tripod mode or whatsoever.
Also, im not on beginner mode.

Whats wrong ?

Whats to be done ?

shall I upgrade to latest .500 firmware and then reset all settings and calibrate again on DJI assistant 2 and again try ?

And shall I upload the video to show, what it was reacting ?

I would think this is very important information, you crashing in to a tree, that should have been in your initial post.

Given that it crashed it could be any number of things. I'd start simple and make sure motors aren't sticking. That they spin freely, I'd then redo IMU and CC calibrations....

The mavic had crashed to a tree last week, after which I havent flown.
Today was 1st day, after the last crash.

Here is the crash report and video,
How the DJI Mavic Pro Crashed & was Recovered

I would think this is very important information, you crashing in to a tree, that should have been in your initial post.

Given that it crashed it could be any number of things. I'd start simple and make sure motors aren't sticking. That they spin freely, I'd then redo IMU and CC calibrations....

Mo has just about covered it, let us know if it fixes it for you.

A hard knock like a tree will definatley be hard on the imu. You may have more going on but the imu plays a large part in the aircrafts control so I would definately start there and report back. Be sure its done well:) I did an imu once and it made it worse just because someone walked by when I was doing it... Enough vibration through the floor to mess with the calibration.

maybe stupid question but your not in sport mode are you?
edit: ii see your drone got confiscated. Surely it was it held at the airport until your return?

"It's a frisbee. You throw, catch it. Game!... "

Last edited:
Well my has started to do that after the new software update, it's flying all over the place!!! Would you know what to do? I lost 3 blades as due to this! I have done imu will test it also did compass and remote!

Well my has started to do that after the new software update, it's flying all over the place!!! Would you know what to do? I lost 3 blades as due to this! I have done imu will test it also did compass and remote!
Mine was acting freaky also, I was flying indoors hovering - moved it forward very slowing and it went fast like sports mode with the hard angle too. So strange and it doesn't hover to stay in place as well as before too.

So has anyone else got this going for them? I will do a test flight this weekend!

My mavic was behaving perfectly. Stable, no drifting whatsoever. Then, I updated to v1.04 on Sunday (3/5/17). Since then, it's been acting like it's possessed. Vertical drifting (several feet), horizontal movement, etc. It will not stay in one place - even in Beginner Mode/Tripod Mode. I've calibrated the IMU (twice) and the controller, and I'm not sure what else to do. The issue definitely started immediately after grabbing the latest firmware.

Last edited by a moderator:
My mavic was behaving perfectly. Stable, no drifting whatsoever. Then, I updated to v4.05 on Sunday (3/5/17). Since then, it's been acting like it's possessed. Vertical drifting (several feet), horizontal movement, etc. It will not stay in one place - even in Beginner Mode/Tripod Mode. I've calibrated the IMU (twice) and the controller, and I'm not sure what else to do. The issue definitely started immediately after grabbing the latest firmware.
Have you spoke to DJI I am waiting to have a word with support

I have the exact same problem with the latest firmware (.500). The most stable for me was .200. What should we do as .200 is no longer an available downgrade option?

I tested my mavic yesterday, after the FW upgrade (.0500). the bird flown nicely: no drifting, no lifting or any movements without stick touching. when I don't touch the controller, my mavic floated without any movements. are you shure, your problem because the latest FW?

I heard the DJI will send a firmware fix in few days, because the inconsistent problems.

(sorry for my bad english!)

Last edited:
I was also experiencing the same problems. The mavic used to be incredibly stable and had started to drift quite a bit, always to the right. As soon as the did firmware update my mavic was instantly more stable. I had almost forgotten has precise the machine could be because i had gotten so used to the drift.

I also noticed that i was not getting magnetic interference and losing gps indoors as often since the update.

I know this doesn't answer your question but I am interested to hear what other pilots have experienced with the update.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake