DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC VIDEOS PLAYBACK PROBLEM

MrMavic

Reactions
I have been shooting some video to see which resolution is best for me. I ran into a problem trying to play back anything higher than the 2.7K.
When I record with the 4K resolutions and try to play it back on my iMac, it does the Herky Jerky crap and just jerks forward a step at a time instead of a smooth play.

I thought maybe it was a Preview problem, but then I loaded a short clip of UHD 4K 3840x2160 / 30fps into iMovie and got the same results.
I can't believe my beloved Mac won't play it.

Here's my processor. Is it just too darn slow?
Do I have to go out and buy a new Mac now to take advantage of 4K?
Maybe one of you Puter Gurus could give me some advice here.
What needs to be upgraded on my Mac?

Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 3.14.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 3.26.04 PM.png

Reactions: roflyer
No. I download the video to my desktop, sort through it to see what I want to keep, then load it onto a flash drive for use on iMovie. Also, I just checked and it plays the same from the desk top as it does from the flash drive.
However, the 2.7K video sample plays fine from either place.

I have been shooting some video to see which resolution is best for me. I ran into a problem trying to play back anything higher than the 2.7K.
When I record with the 4K resolutions and try to play it back on my iMac, it does the Herky Jerky crap and just jerks forward a step at a time instead of a smooth play.

I thought maybe it was a Preview problem, but then I loaded a short clip of UHD 4K 3840x2160 / 30fps into iMovie and got the same results.
I can't believe my beloved Mac won't play it.

Here's my processor. Is it just too darn slow?
Do I have to go out and buy a new Mac now to take advantage of 4K?
Maybe one of you Puter Gurus could give me some advice here.
What needs to be upgraded on my Mac?

View attachment 10070
View attachment 10071
I had the same problem, and I discovered that it only happens when I try to preview the video files while in "Cover Flow" visualization mode in Finder. When the file visualization mode is in "Icons" or "List" they play smoothly.... give it a try and let me know!

I had the same problem, and I discovered that it only happens when I try to preview the video files while in "Cover Flow" visualization mode in Finder. When the file visualization mode is in "Icons" or "List" they play smoothly.... give it a try and let me know!
Are you referring to icons on the desk top? That's where I import them to from the SD Card. they won't play. Also, I added a 4K video into my list of movies in finder and they don't play there either. Not sure what "Cover Flow is. Aren't either of these actually on the hard drive?

Reactions: roflyer
Are you referring to icons on the desk top? That's where I import them to from the SD Card. they won't play. Also, I added a 4K video into my list of movies in finder and they don't play there either. Not sure what "Cover Flow is. Aren't either of these actually on the hard drive?
Captura de Tela 2017-04-06 às 22.23.35.png I refer to the file visualization modes on Finder.

Captura de Tela 2017-04-06 às 23.08.35.png

When I hit the space bar to preview the file in this visualization mode (it's called Cover Flow), it won't play smoothly. If I choose the "Icon" or "List" option the play like a charm! Got it?

View attachment 10086 I refer to the file visualization modes on Finder.

View attachment 10087

When I hit the space bar to preview the file in this visualization mode (it's called Cover Flow), it won't play smoothly. If I choose the "Icon" or "List" option the play like a charm! Got it?
Oh, OK. I have never played the videos that way. I just double R Click on them to play them. Any way, The 4K does not play any way I have tried it.

I never thought about that. I thought I had a fast card though. Is this not fast enough? What is the best Micro SD Card for the Mavic without over killing?

IMG_2764.JPG

Last edited:
I never thought about that. I thought I had a fast card though. Is this not fast enough? What is the best Micro SD Card for the Mavic without over killing?

View attachment 10089

Supported SD CardsMicro SD™
Max capacity: 64 GB. Class 10 or UHS-1 rating required

• SDXC Data Storage Capacity
  • Class 10 Speed
  • Max. Read Speed: 80 MB/s
  • Ultra High Speed Class 1
sdcard10.jpg

Reactions: dougf
I thought my PNY Turbo Performance had a write speed of 90 MB/s. I must have gotten scammed on Amazon.

So I think I have it down to these 2 cards. Which one to get?
I didn't see anything about being good for 4K video on the Ultra, but I did on the Extreme Pro.

Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 12.27.32 AM.png

Last edited:
512 mb video card is the problem. 1GB is minimum for 4K. Says so in FCP X specs. I have the same Mac. But I am not going to upgrade til it breaks down. 4K is not necessary to me.

The video card specs are also shown in your very first post above. ATI Radeon.... 512MB. If you do upgrade your video card, shoot for *higher* than 1GB... Much higher if your wallet doesn't break.

The video card specs are also shown in your very first post above. ATI Radeon.... 512MB. If you do upgrade your video card, shoot for *higher* than 1GB... Much higher if your wallet doesn't break.

Not an option on that Mac.

Update; like most I'm importing to an external. When it was mentioned in this thread that there was a limitation on the transfer rate when doing Post, it hit me; that's the problem. Mr Mavic's problem must lie in the SD card, since he's downloading to his desktop on a computer like mine (iMac with 512MB Video memory), here's why; I went and shot cars moving on a busy thoroughfare and downloaded to my iMac Movies folder to a new library, and not a stutter to be seen. My SD is a SanDisk 64 Ultra. As I said, 4K doesn't lift my dress for all video, but it's nice to know if I want to use it, I can. When done editing, I'll send the media to my external. Here's the test video;

iMac video cards are not up-gradeable.

Update; like most I'm importing to an external. When it was mentioned in this thread that there was a limitation on the transfer rate when doing Post, it hit me; that's the problem. Mr Mavic's problem must lie in the SD card, since he's downloading to his desktop on a computer like mine (iMac with 512MB Video memory), here's why; I went and shot cars moving on a busy thoroughfare and downloaded to my iMac Movies folder to a new library, and not a stutter to be seen. My SD is a SanDisk 64 Ultra. As I said, 4K doesn't lift my dress for all video, but it's nice to know if I want to use it, I can. When done editing, I'll send the media to my external. Here's the test video;

1. OK, so you are saying now that it's my SD card after all. This is the strange part. Did you upload that to YouTube as 4K, because when I viewed it, the max resolution I could select is 1440P. It did play fine, but it wasn't 4K. Could it be my slow Video Card on my Mac that doesn't give me the option to view in 4K?

This card should be OK then, correct?61Qq2ib829L._SL1150_.jpgIf so, I'll order it from Amazon.

2. I was trying to find the option to download the video from the SD Card to my movies folder, but I did not see that option. I'll keep looking.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottyg2s