DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic vs Apache Gunship confrontation (Literally!)

What would you do?

• Land the drone immediately wherever?

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Let it hover until the last minute to try and wait it out?

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Just bring it back home to land with no regard for the helo?

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters

Edslittleworld

Reactions
I had a weird situation, today. I live in Tucson, AZ...and decided to drive (off-road) to extreme BFE on the desert BLM public lands to fly my Mavic. I was bringing my Mavic back home and out of nowhere...comes an Apache helicopter flying no more than 100 feet high. He literally starts circling me less than 1/4 mile away. My Mavic was still round 1/2 mile out and at 35% battery life, so I had to bring it home. As the helo passes in front of me, I held up my controller and pointed to it. He just continued to circle, but eventually understood and took off. Questions:

1) What would happen if he would have ran into my Mavic?
2) Would I be responsible for any damage?

Here's what I was doing before the Apache shows up:

Attachments

• Apache Gunship.jpg
    Apache Gunship.jpg
    356 KB · Views: 475
Last edited:
Interesting problem, I would have done anything to avoid an accident even if it meant a hard landing. If the Apache had flown over the Mavic the prop wash would cause the Mavic to crash.

I wouldn't think that it would be an issue out in BFE, unless you were close to a military air base.

Mavic vs Apache.. something tells me the Apache would have taken it out on a headon collision. :)

I'm not sure what to tell you, but wow, what a neat experience! Wonder if the Mavic was on his radar and went to check it out?

Reactions: Edslittleworld
If not land I would've dropped altitude in a hurry and hovered just off the ground. Once he left would've went right back home, packed up my ish and shagged as* out of there!

Having grown up out there, I gotta wonder exactly what area you were in. There is a lot of land out there that is not exactly public land, just free of fences.

unless you were close to a military air base.

There is Davis Monthan Air Force Base on the south end of Tucson, as well as the Air National Guard. Pretty much the whole USA southwest is a big training zone for all manner of military aircraft.

Reactions: USPilot
As the helo passes in front of me, I held up my controller and pointed to it. He just continued to circle, but eventually understood and took off.

They probably were on a routine flight and noticed you and thought it would be fun to put on a little show. I think when you pointed to the remote and they realized a miniature aircraft was in the area they probably got more scared than you were!

I think they moved off quickly because they were scared of a collision with an object that was basically invisible to their systems.

And BTW if it had hit into your Mavic and damaged the helicopter they would have had a lot of explaining to do to their superiors as to why they were so low to the ground and circling a civilian. That's assuming you were not flying on land that you should not have been on. In any case I think a miniature aircraft in an unknown location was the reason they left quickly.

Rob

Can't find anything that says it's restricted airspace. Years ago I had a similar event at the sand dunes flying a kite.

I call BS. Where's the shot of the Apache? No picture it didn't happen

Here's sort of proof. One of the landing Apache and the other of my Xterra (same as in the vid in the OP). You can see the two odd mountains in the background of each picture. Of course, anything can be faked...eh?

Attachments

• Proof 1.jpg
    Proof 1.jpg
    404.3 KB · Views: 308
  • Proof 2.jpg
    Proof 2.jpg
    835 KB · Views: 302
Also evergreen airport just north is the training facility for a bunch of those whirlybird things. See them all the time when i'm on I-10.

Reactions: Edslittleworld
You must yield to all manned aircraft, responsible to see and avoid them, even if you think the helicopter was reckless, still must yield, up to grounding it if he were to approach you MP. I've seen some incidents involving helicopters claims of remote pilots coming close to their aircraft, when they were actually piloting the helicopter at the direction of the remote aircraft. You don't want to be the next big news story.

Thanks for sharing your story, very cool that you got some pictures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You must yield to all manned aircraft, responsible to see and avoid them, even if you think the helicopter was reckless, still must yield, up to grounding it if he were to approach you MP. I've seen some incidents involving helicopters claims of remote pilots coming close to their aircraft, when they were actually piloting the helicopter at the direction of the remote aircraft. You don't want to be the next big news story.

Thanks for sharing your story, very cool that you got some pictures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks! I can land on my landing pad via FPV goggles, but I've never remotely landed. Has anyone here done that??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike