DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC vs GOPRO KARMA - One of them is the worst drone ever.

If the Karma were to be in the $250 - $300 or $700 with Hero5Black price range, it would have done a lot better.
I totally agree...the lack of technology in the Karma doesn't warrant a 1K price tag.

...looks like it's going to be a long week for GoPro.. i'd like to see a review with a GPH5.. i doubt it will subtract a lot of the issues, but it'll be a more honest rep of the offering.

Whats' the over/under on how long before GoPro declares chapter 11 -- my monies on 14 months.

Brian

Whats' the over/under on how long before GoPro declares chapter 11 -- my monies on 14 months.

Brian

don't be so dramatic.. GoPro is still the market leader in action cams. That's not changing.. Hero5 will likely be a very successful product.. they have a ways to go in terms of drones, but they will catch up. And that is a good thing for us. The more competition, the more innovation. The less monopoly, the better value we will have for future aircraft.

IphoneDo was the 1st "great" video I seen showing the Mavic Pro I think that was October 10th.... And he now has the 1st great video showing the Kruma..... Man is that thing UGLY and looks to fly the same way as it looks.

I should "short" gopro stock tomorrow..... as the Kruma is going to seriously hurt GroPro

don't be so dramatic.. GoPro is still the market leader in action cams. That's not changing.. Hero5 will likely be a very successful product.. they have a ways to go in terms of drones, but they will catch up. And that is a good thing for us. The more competition, the more innovation. The less monopoly, the better value we will have for future aircraft.

Well the post was made somewhat tongue in cheek in case you misread...

However, GoPro hasn't made any money in a year (4 qtrs) and they are no longer the only game in town for action cameras. They are being crushed at the lower end by the cheap Chinese knockoffs and some of the big names from Japan have competitive products on offer. Add to that I think the Karma is going to be a huge disappointment for them which should see them lose money for another couple quarters by which time the Hero 5 will be old news and most people upgrading will have done so. Looking forward there income/expense ratio isn't looking real good.

I have a Hero 3 Black and it does a good job for what it is. The suction mount they sell sucks big time and I had my Hero 3 fly off the car three times because the mount sucks. Beyond the mount issue I have not been a fan of the supper wide angle FOV and even though you can tell it to be narrower when you do that you lose pixels.

The upside though is that the little sucker takes a beating and keeps on working. As I said it's flown off my car three times at about 50mph and landed on the paved road and still works. It's a bit banged up but it still works.

Brian

Well the post was made somewhat tongue in cheek in case you misread...

However, GoPro hasn't made any money in a year (4 qtrs) and they are no longer the only game in town for action cameras. They are being crushed at the lower end by the cheap Chinese knockoffs and some of the big names from Japan have competitive products on offer. Add to that I think the Karma is going to be a huge disappointment for them which should see them lose money for another couple quarters by which time the Hero 5 will be old news and most people upgrading will have done so. Looking forward there income/expense ratio isn't looking real good.

I have a Hero 3 Black and it does a good job for what it is. The suction mount they sell sucks big time and I had my Hero 3 fly off the car three times because the mount sucks. Beyond the mount issue I have not been a fan of the supper wide angle FOV and even though you can tell it to be narrower when you do that you lose pixels.

The upside though is that the little sucker takes a beating and keeps on working. As I said it's flown off my car three times at about 50mph and landed on the paved road and still works. It's a bit banged up but it still works.

Brian
I wonder how much did thay lost on developing the Karma and how that will affect their profits for this year.

Yes. No piloting skills what so ever.
I think she's used to let the drone sort everything thing out on its own, unlike most of us who had some experience with rc helicopter back when there was nothing help keeping it in the air, like people these day would know what to do when ABS and ESP in car stop working.

I wonder how much did thay lost on developing the Karma and how that will affect their profits for this year.

I'm not sure what there development budget was/is but a bigger problem could be unsold merchandise if the Karma turns out to be the turd it appears. In addition, no matter if they sell 1M or 10 they are still going to have ongoing support costs and the fewer the number of units sold the greater the per unit cost is to them.

As I said, it isn't looking great for them...

Brian

Reactions: botasky
I think she's used to let the drone sort everything thing out on its own, unlike most of us who had some experience with rc helicopter back when there was nothing help keeping it in the air, like people these day would know what to do when ABS and ESP in car stop working.

Yes, exactly. I fly RC planes and helicopters. You have to do what you are doing to fly RC successfully. The only reason I have a drone is for photography. To fly it is actually quite boring, even in manual mode. The only reason it flies is because of pure horsepower. No aerodynamics here. So if you had a motor failure or lost a prop from say a bird strike ( I have been chased by angry birds before), there is no dead stick landings as with an RC plane or heli (helis can auto rotate to land dead stick).

One thing I don't miss about my helis though is all the maintenance and set up of servos, swash plates and back in the day, the fly bars. You were 90% mechanic and 10% pilot with an RC Heli.

I digress. The drone technology is too good that if you had a GPS, VPS or IMU failure, most people would be at a loss as how to control the drone. It would be a dangerous situation.

To be 100% fair, there are quite a few Karma videos out there that don't show crashes or significant problems. That said, though, the video quality does not look to be on par with the Mavic's, but all the videos posted so far are with GoPro 4s instead of 5s.

iJustine should not be doing first flights in that microscopic, walled-in yard. I know she said she's done it before, but that assumes everything's going to work fine. That's not always the case -- I watched a reviewer trying the new EHANG FPV drone* and the thing flew into a wall the first time, a tree the second time, until she took it to a park with a super-wide sky view. First flight should be in the biggest, least populated open area you can get to. Once you've determined everything works okay and that you have full control of it, then you can consider launching it from confined spaces.

I love how the conspiracy theorists said DJI paid her to crash it.

* This thing has the most boneheaded design ever: Designed to be flown with goggles, but doesn't have a remote controller, so you're somehow supposed to control it with an iPhone touchscreen while wearing VR goggles.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest