DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic water recovery system

I am curious if there are other versions on the same principle of the "GetterBack"? I have some self inflating live vests that are water activated. I would need something that could inflate with enough buoyancy to lift the Mavic, because the water is much deeper than 100 feet in the Puget Sound where I fly. Has anyone seen anything that works on a water activated system that deploys a inflated float of some kind?

I wrote to the Getterback guy about this matter and the shortcomings of his existing product and he did say to stay tuned as he is working on a new version that should be more applicable for this purpose. Maybe a better float with a stronger and much longer line. He said to check back in early spring. We'll see what shows up. The places that I go to can be extremely deep so a line recovery system is probably not going to work better than one that is an automatically deployed flotation system.

Reactions: danieleforyou
I wrote to the Getterback guy about this matter and the shortcomings of his existing product and he did say to stay tuned as he is working on a new version that should be more applicable for this purpose. Maybe a better float with a stronger and much longer line. He said to check back in early spring. We'll see what shows up. The places that I go to can be extremely deep so a line recovery system is probably not going to work better than one that is an automatically deployed flotation system.
I found this online and don't know much about it but it was something along the lines I wanted in case I lost my drone in water for insurance reasons. I believe it's www.water-buoy.net
I can't find any US dealers for this "WaterBouy" Floatation device other than the Yacht Innovations Company which says they are out of stock on their website, and my email bounced back when I tried contact them? Has anyone seen these available for sale anywhere else in the US?

The getterback is not a good solution for the ocean. Chances are the current would run away with the Mavic and you'd play hell by the time it surfaces to find it

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I can't find any US dealers for this "WaterBouy" Floatation device other than the Yacht Innovations Company which says they are out of stock on their website, and my email bounced back when I tried contact them? Has anyone seen these available for sale anywhere else in the US?

Yeah there's a place in Annapolis, Md called Annapolis Performance Sailing that sells the water buoy. I purchased one a few weeks ago but after discussing with guys on here about it and watching a few videos I concluded that it will more then likely not work for what I need it for. Here's the website if you want to check it out...APS - Annapolis Performance Sailing | APS

Made something similar for my P3. These are for recovery only. Made these for the mavic. I fly quite a bit over open water. Mostly launch from the Aft hardtop on the boat out on the Great Lakes. Similar to the getrback concept but you don't have to worry about the depth of the water, will it deploy and waiting 15 minutes plus. Also trying to find a bobber that floats up out on open water.

Tested the mavic today for the first time. First without the flots then with them on. They do not interfere with the bottom sensors in that I can see a change in height on the app. I have not tested the bottom camera for the landing pic it takes. Not sure how you can access that picture if at all. Hand caught no problem. Just reach up from underneath.

It was 15 degrees today so just a short first flight to check the camera. Looks good thus far. No soft edges. Flew next to a brick school building to check. Didn't see any jello effects while flying as well.

I brought the osmo plus to film as I flew. I was going to use Autoframe by autopilot on the osmo to track the drone. (Airspace app links the two) Neat app but after a few minutes in 15 degrees setting that up I handed the osmo to my nine year old to film. Got some great shots of clouds and evething else but the mavic. Lol

Second flight was with the floats. I did not see any changes in flight characteristics. Second flight was a bit more agreesive to see if the floats got in the camera shot which they did not. Total weight is about 1.75 ounces. Tested them by adding 2# of weight on them in water. they are a bit past half way up as they floated in water. They should displace around 3#. The mavic weights a pound and a half but given it has vents on it and a hard crash water will get in increasing the amount of weight you need to displace. The floats are a bit aft of center mass so I would think more often than not it will actually find itself upside down in the event of a hard landing. I did not put them on and try and float it. It would get wet and these are not landing floats. Just recovery.

It's my mavic Life jacket. It will get wet but will not sink down to Davy Jones's locker.

I painted the rear tip black and the rest neon orange plastic dip spray. This I think will help with orientation from a distance. Two orange dots it is facing me. Orange ringes with black centers camera facing away.

I will do some more tests to see if this decrease performance but in a short flight on heathy drones I lost a couple of minutes of battery but then again my second flight with these on was much more aggressive.

These are just piece of mind and a way to quickly recover the drone in case it drops like a brick from the sky. I keep a bottle of denatured alcohol over 95% to quickly displace the water (after removal of battery) since I fly mostly over fresh water it is possible to negate water damage. Saltwater no way. Instant loss but with DJI refresh no drone no chance.

View attachment 3813 View attachment 3815 View attachment 3814

Hi I think you could probably reduce the size a fair bit, if it fills up with water the water itself ads nothing to the weight in the water in fact the Mavic itself will weigh less in the water than it does out of the water. Looks like a good way to go!

The water buoy is useless!!

Search YouTube for "water buoy drone" and see it yourself.
Yes,

I watched one YouTube video test that points out the limitation of the "waterbody" maybe the pool noodle floats are the best water recovery solution......

While I was making a couple for Doug I made a black version View attachment 4751 View attachment 4753 View attachment 4752
What would you estimate the cost to make these? My guess is you could sell lots of these. Owners would just want to have them in their Mavic kit for flights when bodies of water come into play. I would just keep a pair on my GB trawler to have for SJ Island flights.
If you would be interested in selling some more, let me know what a fair price is. Thanks!

What would you estimate the cost to make these? My guess is you could sell lots of these. Owners would just want to have them in their Mavic kit for flights when bodies of water come into play. I would just keep a pair on my GB trawler to have for SJ Island flights.
If you would be interested in selling some more, let me know what a fair price is. Thanks!
One pool noodle will make 3. Plus one can of plastic dip for the orange. A roll off Velcro is plenty for all three. That all comes out to $30 for material for three. Took a week to order the stuff. Of course in bulk you would save. About 4 hours to make all three. A decent profit would be around $40 a piece but I would think that would be a lot to ask.

One pool noodle will make 3. Plus one can of plastic dip for the orange. A roll off Velcro is plenty for all three. That all comes out to $30 for material for three. Took a week to order the stuff. Of course in bulk you would save. About 4 hours to make all three. A decent profit would be around $40 a piece but I would think that would be a lot to ask.

Where are you finding solid pool noodles? Or is there something I'm missing? The noodles in stores around me have the hole in the center.

Pool Noodle Swimming Pool Aid Fill Center No Hole 58"x2.5" Saffron Yellow https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007NKNWAK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_TmrHybFHTMBTE
Those are actually pretty common down here in Austin for our lakes, streams and rivers. The actual "thing", I believe, is called a "Fun Noodle", or that was the original name for them. The solid ones are smaller diameter and fit nicely inside the hole on the bigger ones, proving more flotation--especially for less buoyant swimmers, like the guy below (OMG)!

images-1.jpeg

Matt, could you post a detailed build description or maybe just make a time lapse video of construction?
Thanks!

Reactions: WAXMAN
I will see if I have enough material left over. I should find someone handy to make a few for anyone interested. They are kind of a craft project using the mavic as a template. The thing is going to be full of pen marks in that I use it to trace out the cut away parts and mark the the spots for the struts and such. I swear I am going to drop it one of these times. I have listed the material at the begging

Do you know were these attach? It was mentioned previously and i think it is a good idea is a snap on cradle on the belly with attachment like you posted to slide a pool noodle in. I think the pool noodle weight wise is your best advantage. 3d printed pontoons i would think would weigh much more that a pool noodle given resin and power are heavier than closed cell expanded poly. a 3d printed cradle would be much quicker to print out than hand cutting these to fit. But i would think they would be more prone to fly off on impact. you could with the cradle have it sit a little higher on the water so if it self lands it would stay dry. well at least till a wave hits it. So snug fit that cannot come off unless to fly it into a brick wall or a cradle that can keep it up off the water a little more?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike