DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic's Lends Hood, not a good idea,

ElGuapo

Reactions
I just purchased a lens hood for my Mavic to help against sun glare, and that was a bad idea, it ruined my videos. Normally I do not write many reviews but I am going to write a 1 star review on Amazon, 0 stars if I could.

I am sharing my experience here with y'all hoping you do not make the same mistake, if you have not already.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 11.36.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 11.36.44 AM.png
    315.9 KB · Views: 327
The hood is meant to help if you have to shoot in the specific conditions that result in lens glare/prop shadow. If you have these issues you're shooting at angles where it likely won't obstruct.
I.e. you're supposed to put it on ONLY in these conditions, not always.

Reactions: Rbruz
yes I have filters but sometimes I want to shoot without a filter. In the video above I was using a Polar Pro 16 for the ocean water.

I use it to just protect the gimbal, and have had no an problems in my videos yet… I think only once did I see it , as I tilted forward Heavily.​

Reactions: Rbruz
I just purchased a lens hood for my Mavic to help against sun glare, and that was a bad idea, it ruined my videos. Normally I do not write many reviews but I am going to write a 1 star review on Amazon, 0 stars if I could.

I am sharing my experience here with y'all hoping you do not make the same mistake, if you have not already.

That is unfortunate.
Regards,
-d.

Yeah man, I have had the same problem with this. I think the only time this hood would be good is if you crashed. It might save the gimbal and camera. It does stay out of the way if you point the gimbal way down and are flying slow. Ok with still shots and not moving. Not much bang for your buck. [emoji107]

For me this only happens in Sports mode and is well documented in the Amazon reviews. If your doing fun flying then sports mode is great but if your trying to shoot really good video it's one of the worst modes to use. Sometimes sudden movements can cause the Jello effect and the video itself is not fluid like it is in the regular flying mode.

My point is that if you want to take the best video possible you need a hood. It cuts out the propeller shadows and it removes most of the side glare. If your going to be doing the best looking video possible you should not be in sports mode to begin with so I think criticizing it's performance in sports mode is not really fair.

For the price buy 2 and cut the other one if your just looking for a but of added gimbal protection. As for me I do not fly without the hood on. I loose too much good footage to side glare and prop shadows.

Rob

For me this only happens in Sports mode and is well documented in the Amazon reviews. If your doing fun flying then sports mode is great but if your trying to shoot really good video it's one of the worst modes to use. Sometimes sudden movements can cause the Jello effect and the video itself is not fluid like it is in the regular flying mode.

My point is that if you want to take the best video possible you need a hood. It cuts out the propeller shadows and it removes most of the side glare. If your going to be doing the best looking video possible you should not be in sports mode to begin with so I think criticizing it's performance in sports mode is not really fair.

For the price buy 2 and cut the other one if your just looking for a but of added gimbal protection. As for me I do not fly without the hood on. I loose too much good footage to side glare and prop shadows.

Rob
Well said… Some of these posts that issue "edicts" that "this is bad, or that is bad" really don't do a lot of news items justice. This hood is perfectly fine if you're like me and are using it to protect the gimbal, learn to fly, and taking occasional video and not a professional. A lot of things have merit, they May not have credibility and usefulness TO YOU, but in no way should statement be made that this is a bad product, universally.

Reactions: Brianna and Rbruz
Yes, they are cr4p....had mine on for 30 seconds, utter rubbish.

The Mavic's lens is a moderately wide-angle lens. Lens hoods usually provide very little benefit with wide-angle lenses because the opening of the lens hood has to be extremely wide in order to not block out the view of the lens as shown in your video. Lens hoods make much more sense with telephoto lenses because those lenses have a very small angular field-of-view and so a lens hood can be designed to block out all light except for the light coming in to the lens through the lens' narrow field-of-view.

If you want to use one of these Mavic "lens hoods" because it makes the Mavic look prettier, fine. But if you think that it's going to be an effective lens hood for the wide-angle lens on your drone then you're mistaken.

I bought it but yet didn't use it.. did this happen to him only cause he was recording while in sport mode? that's all? cause I do want to use it in "normal" mode..

I bought it but yet didn't use it.. did this happen to him only cause he was recording while in sport mode? that's all? cause I do want to use it in "normal" mode..

In my 30 seconds with it on it was in view as soon as i pitched forward in normal mode :/

Rob

Rob,

I agree with the above, however I was not flying in sports mode. If you look at the beginning of my video I was slowly picking up altitude to get to the POI ( The Jesus in the background ). Then I was flying slowly with the Gimbal at a -90 degrees position, do not remember, but perhaps hovering to capture the ocean waters over the coast.

Not sure if this had anything to do with it but I was shooting with my Polar Pro ND16, my EVO was at 0.

I was flying in normal mode, not even going very fast.

The Mavic's lens is a moderately wide-angle lens. Lens hoods usually provide very little benefit with wide-angle lenses because the opening of the lens hood has to be extremely wide in order to not block out the view of the lens as shown in your video. Lens hoods make much more sense with telephoto lenses because those lenses have a very small angular field-of-view and so a lens hood can be designed to block out all light except for the light coming in to the lens through the lens' narrow field-of-view.

If you want to use one of these Mavic "lens hoods" because it makes the Mavic look prettier, fine. But if you think that it's going to be an effective lens hood for the wide-angle lens on your drone then you're mistaken.
I bought it for protecting that fragile and expensive gimbal and have had little problem with it interfering with the video. As for making the Mavic look prettier, kind of like putting lipstick on a pig.

Lens flare is cause by light being reflected off of the elements of the lens so the more errant light you can keep out the better. I also wonder if re-calibrating the gimbal might help as the problem seems to be isolated mostly (after the initial clipping to the top) to the lower left of the frame.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3