DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavmount alternative

Healeyho

Reactions
I like the mavmount setup but the cost was just a little step for me so I made my own for $17. I cut a piece of plexiglass that I had lying around but you could go to any craft/hardware store and get some or just use a piece of wood, I then ordered the tripod ball mount and iPad holder from Amazon.com. It works great, very sturdy and balanced, and light weight. With this iPad mount you can even leave a iPad Pro 9.7 in a case and it works fine.

6979d576f944be9cc8cc0e913dbb72be.jpg
f4dde549f3595da0709923486177fc53.jpg
d2cfb0d6d58a22a6527c161feafb8483.jpg
5a9c7e6d217bacb9c656c167adb85cd8.jpg
fb593715cc36d0d06b1f7b0374d6fde3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Excellent find!

It's probably lighter also but plenty sturdy for the application.

This would work good with some of the 3D printed holders.

Getting the idea from someelse here I built my own iPad mount using an existing
3d printed mount and modifying it.

Purchased a ball mount for $7.99 and a iPad mount for $8.59 both from Amazon.

This setup is more solid than the popular mounts you can buy and comes in
at 7oz instead of 12oz.

What makes it more solid is the front of the 3D printed mount is thicker
at the front so it does not rock or wobble in the RC.

I can put this 3D mount on Thingiverse if anyone interested.

2017-01-13 08.56.42.jpg

What is wrong with using the controllers mount and have it right below so you can view everything at once?

I see these custom mounts when using a ipad, while the ipad itself fits perfectly using the controller.

What is wrong with using the controllers mount and have it right below so you can view everything at once?

I see these custom mounts when using a ipad, while the ipad itself fits perfectly using the controller.

This setup fits a full sized iPad.....not just a iPad mini. Flying with a 9.7" screen is awesome.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: SkeeterHarris

Once you put a sun shield or a Hoodman like I use on the iPad Mini it makes it awkward to get to the control sticks.

Two good responses. Thanks for pointing that out.

I forgot to mention, I asked someone that posted a video showing all the new hardware he just got to use his ipad mini. When I mentioned to him about using the controller he had no idea his ipad mini would work without the hardware.

I forgot to mention, I asked someone that posted a video showing all the new hardware he just got to use his ipad mini. When I mentioned to him about using the controller he had no idea his ipad mini would work without the hardware.
I have been thinking of doing the exact build, but I could not find a good source for the ball swivel to go on. I like the use of plexiglass. Could you post additional pictures?

I'd also like to use a quick disconnect somehow. Like a GoPro mount.

Last edited:
How thick is the plexiglass? Are there different grades/strengths of plexiglass?

Reactions: Sndflea
I don't know why everyone is so caught up in being able to see both screens. The iPad shown you everything the RC screen does except RPM, and let's be honest, who ever looks at that? I flew the P3 for 2 years with just the iPad, and love it, besides, I find all of the info on the RC screen is just too squeezed together for fast reference in a situation where you need it "NOW". For best balance, with or without a neck strap the iPad will cover the RC screen, no big deal IMHO. I tried 2 different 3D printed mounts and both were way to flexible for me, wobbly so to speak, I find the MavMount solid as a rock and I can place the tablet pretty much wherever I want.

I don't know why everyone is so caught up in being able to see both screens. The iPad shown you everything the RC screen does except RPM, and let's be honest, who ever looks at that? I flew the P3 for 2 years with just the iPad, and love it, besides, I find all of the info on the RC screen is just too squeezed together for fast reference in a situation where you need it "NOW". For best balance, with or without a neck strap the iPad will cover the RC screen, no big deal IMHO. I tried 2 different 3D printed mounts and both were way to flexible for me, wobbly so to speak, I find the MavMount solid as a rock and I can place the tablet pretty much wherever I want.
Well, if you don't want to see both screens, just flip it over... Works both ways...1484340983924.jpg1484340988593.jpg

Sent from my LG-F350S using MavicPilots mobile app

PS! The Nvidia Shield does not fit in the Mavic controle... That's the reason for making an alternative...

How thick is the plexiglass? Are there different grades/strengths of plexiglass?

It's the same thickness as an iPhone. I had a old windshield laying around off my Polaris RZR...I just used that. It is plenty strong to hold the mount.

PS! The Nvidia Shield does not fit in the Mavic controle... That's the reason for making an alternative...
I think you misunderstood my post. I didn't say I did not WANT to see the RC screen, just that it is not necessary if you have a tablet. And as I use an iPad I also use an alternative to the Mavic holder, just that I found the MavMount to be the most stable, which is important with a 10" tablet, and hood when needed. All of the information you need is on the Tablet screen so being able to see the RC screen is a personal preference and not a necessity.

Reactions: Mavic of the North
I like the mavmount setup but the cost was just a little step for me so I made my own for $17. I cut a piece of plexiglass that I had lying around but you could go to any craft/hardware store and get some or just use a piece of wood, I then ordered the tripod ball mount and iPad holder from Amazon.com. It works great, very sturdy and balanced, and light weight. With this iPad mount you can even leave a iPad Pro 9.7 in a case and it works fine.

6979d576f944be9cc8cc0e913dbb72be.jpg
f4dde549f3595da0709923486177fc53.jpg
d2cfb0d6d58a22a6527c161feafb8483.jpg
5a9c7e6d217bacb9c656c167adb85cd8.jpg
fb593715cc36d0d06b1f7b0374d6fde3.jpg

Great idea can you post links to the ball mount and ipad holder? Thanks

I am adding a "hot shoe mount" so that I can quickly disassemble and transport.

41ZpKuOS9IL._SL500_SS75_SS75_.jpg

Camera Hot Shoe Mount to 1/4"-20 Tripod Screw Adapter,Flash Shoe Mount for DSLR Camera Rig (Pack of 2)
by Anwenk
Link: http://a.co/fSUllps

41isS-HR2jL._SL500_SS75_SS75_.jpg

UCEC 360 Degree Swivel 1/4" Screw Tripod Mini Ball Head for DSLR Camera, Camcorder
by UCEC
Link: http://a.co/9VPHV9Q

4181DfIGOLL._SL500_SS75_SS75_.jpg

Vastar® Universal iPad Tablet Tripod Mount Holder Adapter
by Vastar
Link: http://a.co/1OvpxWQ

Last edited:
Great idea can you post links to the ball mount and ipad holder? Thanks

Vastar Universal Tablet iPad Tripod Mount Holder Adapter with 5 Extra Friction Pads, 12.5-20 cm Adjustable Width for Apple iPad 2, 3, 4, iPad Air 1, 2, 3, iPad Mini 1st, 2, 3, - Samsung Galaxy Tab, Tab 2, Tab 3, Tab Pro, Tab S, Microsoft Surface, Google Nexus and more Tablets - Use on Tripod, Monopod, Selfie Stick, Tabletop Tripod Stand, and More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011XOUUOM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_J8uEybFYM55S4

Mini Ball Tripod Head Mount for Digital Camera / Compact DSLR Camera / Light Stand / Light House / Cell Phone / Monopod / Gopro -Aluminum House and Steel Ball https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GJ7BMO0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_H-uEyb9Y77VB4

I am adding a "hot shoe mount" so that I can quickly disassemble and transport.

41ZpKuOS9IL._SL500_SS75_SS75_.jpg

Camera Hot Shoe Mount to 1/4"-20 Tripod Screw Adapter,Flash Shoe Mount for DSLR Camera Rig (Pack of 2)
by Anwenk
Link: http://a.co/fSUllps

41isS-HR2jL._SL500_SS75_SS75_.jpg

UCEC 360 Degree Swivel 1/4" Screw Tripod Mini Ball Head for DSLR Camera, Camcorder
by UCEC
Link: http://a.co/9VPHV9Q

4181DfIGOLL._SL500_SS75_SS75_.jpg

Vastar[emoji768] Universal iPad Tablet Tripod Mount Holder Adapter
by Vastar
Link: http://a.co/1OvpxWQ

Good idea!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics