DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Max Altitude Limit for USA

jerry2032

Reactions
Suddenly the Mavic won't fly above 400 ft whereas a few days ago I was able to fly well above that. Now suddenly it limits me to 120 meters max in the setting. When I try to raise it to say 240 it drops back down when the focus is moved to another field.

I live at the base of a mountain and plan on staying below 400 feet AGL but the Mavic limits me to flying 400 feet above my takeoff point. Shouldn't I be able to override the setting if we're talking about being 400 feet above ground level?

Everything altimeter-related on the Mavic is relative to the takeoff point (ATO), not the ground (AGL). Are you saying the Mavic won't let you change the Max altitude in the general setting?

Reactions: nomad33fw
Suddenly the Mavic won't fly above 400 ft whereas a few days ago I was able to fly well above that. Now suddenly it limits me to 120 meters max in the setting. When I try to raise it to say 240 it drops back down when the focus is moved to another field.

I live at the base of a mountain and plan on staying below 400 feet AGL but the Mavic limits me to flying 400 feet above my takeoff point. Shouldn't I be able to override the setting if we're talking about being 400 feet above ground level?

Make sure u make the change while the MP is turned on & connected to the controller and App.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Everything altimeter-related on the Mavic is relative to the takeoff point (ATO), not the ground (AGL). Are you saying the Mavic won't let you change the Max altitude in the general setting?

Correct. It drops back to 120 meters when I change it.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

When I try to raise it to say 240 it drops back down when the focus is moved to another field.
Did you press done/enter on the keyboard after entering the value?

FYI there is no altitude limit for US hobbyist flights. No FAA or other US legal altitude limit for non-commercial drones under 55 pounds. As per Public Law 112-95 Section 336, the FAA may not make any such rules applying to "model aircraft", and all common recreational drones fall within the definition of "model aircraft" under that law. For commercial drone flights the FAA altitude limit is 400 feet above the ground or above any structure within 400 feet of the drone.

FYI there is no altitude limit for US hobbyist flights. No FAA or other US legal altitude limit for non-commercial drones under 55 pounds. As per Public Law 112-95 Section 336, the FAA may not make any such rules applying to "model aircraft", and all common recreational drones fall within the definition of "model aircraft" under that law. For commercial drone flights the FAA altitude limit is 400 feet above the ground or above any structure within 400 feet of the drone.

Are you sure? I've never heard this.

What are the safety guidelines for sUAS recreational users?

Source: knowbeforeyoufly.org

Fly no higher than 400 feet and remain below any surrounding obstacles when possible.

Keep your sUAS in eyesight at all times, and use an observer to assist if needed.

Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations, and you must see and avoid other aircraft and obstacles at all times.

Do not intentionally fly over unprotected persons or moving vehicles, and remain at least 25 feet away from individuals and vulnerable property.

Contact the airport and control tower before flying within five miles of an airport or heliport. (Read about best practices here)

Do not fly in adverse weather conditions such as in high winds or reduced visibility.

Do not fly under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Ensure the operating environment is safe and that the operator is competent and proficient in the operation of the sUAS.

Do not fly near or over sensitive infrastructure or property such as power stations, water treatment facilities, correctional facilities, heavily traveled roadways, government facilities, etc.

Check and follow all local laws and ordinances before flying over private property.
Do not conduct surveillance or photograph persons in areas where there is an expectation of privacy without the individual’s permission (see AMA’s privacy policy).

And I wish people would limit themselves at 400' as posted in knowbeforeyoufly.org.

Do you know hard it is to see a Mavic when flying in a helicopter or airplane??!

I wish you would use common sense and stop talking out of your hat.

Do you know hard it is to see a Mavic when flying in a helicopter or airplane??
According to at least one person on PhantomPilots, he can see a Phantom at 2000' and know it's a Phantom. According to FAA records, at least one heli pilot can see a drone at around 1.5 miles.

Your wish is not anyone else's command, sir. If you intend to pressure people to do as you see fit, you are clearly in the right place. It seems that you are in the majority because you are willing to state your opinion as fact and pressure anyone who disagrees you.

And yes, it can be hard to see small flying objects when flying small aircraft, like birds. Piloting small aircraft is inherently dangerous and should not be done by anyone who is fearfful and cannot accept the risk and responsibility based in the real world, not the world where you are in charge and there are no challenges in your environment. If you want to pilot in totally unused airspace, you need to go to Antarctica. I'll buy you the ticket.

Oh please! We had a drone flying by us at 3500' AGL with less than 50 feet from the wingtip. Do you really think we can see one?

Heck, we can't even see other airplanes at times, which explain why we have midair every year. You guys are really expecting us to see you?

Sigh.

Ok. Fine. I will add the risks of flying with guys who will not hesitate to fly a drone over 500' AGL.

Got it. Thanks.

No, we are not. Nor do we expect you to always see every other target that might be within your visual range. That's your problem. We only expect that you be honest and explain that as a pilot you put your special interest desire for maximum clear airspace above the interests of recreational drone pilots regardless of whether that is balanced and makes sense in the larger picture. That is why we have regulatory agencies, to study all aspects of the issue and the public comments and make rules that balance everyone's safety and interests under the law. But I guess you would just have your personal wish be law and everyone who thinks differently is just a jerk.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000