DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Max flyable altitude?

soloDP

Reactions
I hike high peaks in colorado 14000+.
Can anyone comment on the maximum flyable altitude? (I'm not asking about the legal limit... 400' More like the service ceiling.)
Thanks for any information!

Can't think of a better use of the Mavic than taking it up some 14'ers! Hope you post some videos when you do.

Reactions: YoshiK1
Wait... just curious.. there's no way to go higher than 500meters?

Wait... just curious.. there's no way to go higher than 500meters?

Wait... just curious... it seems you've been around this site for a while... this is news to you?

The Mavic system measures all altitudes relative to the takeoff point.

The default setting for maximum altitude in the controller/aircraft may be something like 120 meters ATO; this means it won't accept a command to rise higher than 120 meters (400 ft) above the takeoff point. You can change this limit however you like, up to a maximum of 500 meters ATO.

Some jurisdictions' laws may specify a ceiling of 400 ft AGL (above ground level) as the US currently does. This may include a reduced ceiling across canyons or a raised ceiling around buildings and mountains. The Mavic has no idea where the ground is, unless it happens to be hovering within about 2 meters of some object. It does not understand geographical dropoffs or hills at all. Your compliance with the 400 ft AGL rule is entirely on your own mental calculations.

The Mavic actually has an internal barometric altitude device, and the GPS/GLONASS receivers, both of which measures altitude relative to the average sea level. Thus your hometown may be at 2000 ft AMSL (above mean sea level) and the Mavic would use that measurement at the time of takeoff. However, NOWHERE on the controller screen nor the DJI Go app screen will you see altitude described this way. This is only used for internal calculation.

By the way, many people have flown Mavic above 14000 ft AMSL (by taking off from locations high in the mountains). Aerodynamically, propeller thrust gets weaker as the air gets thinner, so beware of underpowered flight if you try to go much higher than this.

If you stand on the top of a skyscraper, or in the bottom of a canyon, all of these measuring systems may clash. Your country or the country you visit may have different rules that include buildings, airports, population density or other hazards to avoid. It's up to you as a pilot to be aware of these and fly safely.

I hike high peaks in colorado 14000+.
Can anyone comment on the maximum flyable altitude? (I'm not asking about the legal limit... 400' More like the service ceiling.)
Thanks for any information!
Just watched some videos of a Mavic Pro at Everest base camp. The highest flight being at 5840m! So it can go even higher!

Here is a guy who flew in Nepal. As high as 18,192 feet.

EXCERPT: The shots at :33 [seconds] are from Kongma La Pass, 18,192ft, the shots at 1:36 are Renjo La, 17,536ft and at 1:42 is the top of Gokyo Ri, 17, 575ft.
Here is a link to his web page:
Flying the DJI Mavic Pro in Nepal | Youtube Download MP3 | MP4

And here is a direct link to the YouTube video:

Reactions: jointeffort
This year I flew a couple times above 5000 m AMSL with my Mavic, taking off from mountains or volcano peaks in Peru and Chile. I flew above 5600 m (~18400 ft) in moderate to strong wind for about 10 minutes without issues. Mavic looses some speed, time of flight and agility in that conditions, but it responds a lot better than I expected, remembering that air resistance to propeller spin is smaller too. It is important to have your batteries in your pocket before flight, to maintain them warm enough, if you're flying in very cold weather. As a personal tip, I would put a small piece of cotton fabric in the same pocket to prevent some condensation on the battery.
Also, I always fly upwind first in position mode, to check the conditions and to recover it more easily in case of battery overcurrent, overheating or maximum propeller speed. If the drone struggles to accelerate and climb, I switch it to sport mode and bring it back immediately.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa