DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Might have bought a stolen Mavic from Kijiji

01s0uljah

Reactions
Hey Guys!

A new first time drone flyer here! I met up with a friend I haven't seen in a while and he was flying a DJI Inspire 1 and instantly had the urge to buy a drone. He recommended a DJI Mavic for a beginner and I searched Kijiji. Ran across a few ads and found some brand new in box for 900 Canadian which is a huge discount from $1350 retail At first I was skeptical so I asked him where he got it from and for the receipt. He said it was a present and he already had one but it was sealed.

When we met up, the box was sealed and completely brand new, I went through the activation and did a quick test flight and all was good. Paid him and went on my way.

Before messaging this ad, I had messaged a couple of other ads and got a response after i made the purchase. Turns out to be the same guy using a different account and the same contact number. Turns out this guy has a bunch of brand new in box DJI Mavics.

If these are stolen (maybe from a store), what could I potentially run into here? Could DJI ground my drone? I'm feeling a bit crappy now thinking I was sold a stolen unit. Hard to say where got them from, but I messaged him under another account to buy a "few" units and he said he was able to get them..

Thanks and hope to see you guys around!

...Turns out to be the same guy using a different account and the same contact number. Turns out this guy has a bunch of brand new in box DJI Mavics.

Obviously not a truthful person, else there would be no reason to make up the "I got it as a present" lie. Interesting that he says he can get a few of them. He's probably doing something that he is not supposed to.

If you are feeling bad suspecting that you have received stolen goods, I think you can relax a little. Law enforcement would have an easy time finding him if they had been reported stolen. I don't think dji would ground you. Although I suspect that ability will be coming in the years ahead.

If that is not enough to clear your conscience, call the authorities and offer them what you know and what your suspicions are. I doubt they would be very interested but there is the possibility that it could be helpful to them.

Reactions: harryb and elliot29
HAHA thanks guys! The other part of me says.. Buy a couple more cause I know I'm going to crash one some day...

@Nikon1,

Unfortunately, no receipt provided....

Reactions: ZALEXANDERK
Just be careful folks!
I have heard of scam like this in the Ham Radio world. One guy gets a great discount and spreads the word. Soon a whole bunch of guys are contacting the forum member asking for info on how to contact the seller. A few days later several guys have sent the seller money and then no one ever hears from him again. Turns out the first guy is just used to bait the Trap

Rob

My guess would be it is an employee at a big box store who has an inventory adjustment code. To thine own self be true.

Also be aware that there are genuine people out there selling things cheaper than normal because they deal in bankrupt stock auctions. I have met a few and they are all very genuine and normally don't lie about where they get the goods. If you found someone that lied about the source it could be he's just being cautious about things or he's just a dodgy person. But don't worry, I've never heard of DJI disabling a drone for theft, although they could if they wanted or needed to I suppose? Buyer beware [emoji846]

Reactions: 01s0uljah
Wait a minute, I feel like I'm sensing that some of the posts are implying I may be the scammer. If not, ignore me. I'm obviously new to the drone scene but have RC-on toad experience. I just really wanted to know if there could be any issues flying a stolen drone from the store..

In Canada it will come down to whether or not you are a "bond fide purchaser for value without notice."

The facts you present suggest that you were aware prior to purchase that something might be off, a discount of 33% off retail before taxes for a sealed box should raise suspicion. You followed that up with questioning the seller as to where he got the drone and asked for a receipt. He told you it was a gift and he already had one.

You then proceeded to activate the drone and do a test flight, all of which is reasonable. You paid him and then took the drone and went on your way.

The question is at this point have you done your due diligence? It would seem that you have, unlike cars or most other forms of expensive personal property, I doubt a PPSA search would yield much, though you should always do this when buying higher value personal articles (vehicles, travel trailers, etc).

The potential trouble arises from your subsequent messaging sellers and realizing it is the same person. You can safely presume now that something questionable may be going on.

You also posted your doubts to a public forum which can be accessed by anyone. You should not in any circumstances purchase another drone from this individual as it may taint the first purchase.

This is not provided as legal advice and is merely an opinion. Should you require legal advice, talk to a licensed lawyer in your province.

In Canada it will come down to whether or not you are a "bond fide purchaser for value without notice."

The facts you present suggest that you were aware prior to purchase that something might be off, a discount of 33% off retail before taxes for a sealed box should raise suspicion. You followed that up with questioning the seller as to where he got the drone and asked for a receipt. He told you it was a gift and he already had one.

You then proceeded to activate the drone and do a test flight, all of which is reasonable. You paid him and then took the drone and went on your way.

The question is at this point have you done your due diligence? It would seem that you have, unlike cars or most other forms of expensive personal property, I doubt a PPSA search would yield much, though you should always do this when buying higher value personal articles (vehicles, travel trailers, etc).

The potential trouble arises from your subsequent messaging sellers and realizing it is the same person. You can safely presume now that something questionable may be going on.

You also posted your doubts to a public forum which can be accessed by anyone. You should not in any circumstances purchase another drone from this individual as it may taint the first purchase.

This is not provided as legal advice and is merely an opinion. Should you require legal advice, talk to a licensed lawyer in your province.
Well stated good Sir.

Reactions: marc r
Hey Guys!

If these are stolen (maybe from a store), what could I potentially run into here? Could DJI ground my drone? I'm feeling a bit crappy now thinking I was sold a stolen unit. Hard to say where got them from, but I messaged him under another account to buy a "few" units and he said he was able to get them..

Thanks and hope to see you guys around!

I would not worry about it. Could be some hijacked Mavics, but it's more likely these are gray market - not stolen, but originally intended for sale in a different country where the retail price is lower than in Canada. If DJI activated it, and will honor the guarantee, you are OK.

If you really feel bad, buy the Mavic Refresh and that will mean you are in the clear with DJI.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS