DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Missing Mavic features

oferlaor

Reactions
There are a few features that I'm really confused as to why they are missing on the mavic:

1. The system knows when it's going farther and farther away, up to the point where there is no reception. Why doesn't it have an option to stop moving away from the receiver BEFORE reception is completely down?

There's a distance limit, but it knows reception is almost below the minimum requirement, so why doesn't it offer an option to stop moving farther at that point?

2. Higher end drones have the option to return to home via the same way that it got there. That negates the need to go up (which in itself is problematic if there's something overhead, or if you haven't set up the RTH height setting properly, since it's hidden away inside the inner menus). Why not have the option to backtrack and do away with this nonsense?

3. The mavic has only one gesture, which seems to indicate it has the processing power to reproduce what the Spark does - a few key gestures that let you fly without the remote or cellphone. Basically, a gesture to follow and take a video would be great!

There are a few features that I'm really confused as to why they are missing on the mavic:

1. The system knows when it's going farther and farther away, up to the point where there is no reception. Why doesn't it have an option to stop moving away from the receiver BEFORE reception is completely down?

There's a distance limit, but it knows reception is almost below the minimum requirement, so why doesn't it offer an option to stop moving farther at that point?

I have never lost reception without it being quite obvious that I was about to, and could turn around or move to an unobstructed area. This would just be more restriction that most people do not want or need.

2. Higher end drones have the option to return to home via the same way that it got there. That negates the need to go up (which in itself is problematic if there's something overhead, or if you haven't set up the RTH height setting properly, since it's hidden away inside the inner menus). Why not have the option to backtrack and do away with this nonsense?

What high end drone does this? Straight line RTH is the only way to do it. Let's say I go out and do 100 figure eights as I travel forward. Do you really want the drone to backtrack your path when you want it home NOW? Or would you rather it turn around and head back while looking for obstacles.

3. The mavic has only one gesture, which seems to indicate it has the processing power to reproduce what the Spark does - a few key gestures that let you fly without the remote or cellphone. Basically, a gesture to follow and take a video would be great!

Buy a spark :)

It will never know exactly as that depends on conditions, so it would need a large margin. You'll get a lot of people moaning when the thing forces stop when you could still go 30% farther. Especially since losing connection isn't actually much of a problem in the first place.

2. Higher end drones have the option to return to home via the same way that it got there.
That could be a nice option that would be useful once in a while but not sure it would actually be in many scenarios (see answer above, you nearly never jsut do one trajectory that it would make sense backtracking).

3. The mavic has only one gesture, which seems to indicate it has the processing power to reproduce what the Spark does - a few key gestures that let you fly without the remote or cellphone.
The Mavic is above the size/weight "danger threshold" that I would (and DJI probably does) consider safe to operate by gestures only.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato