DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Moiré / Aliasing in 1080p 60fps

Ed209

Reactions
I had posted this in a thread over in the general section but I think this deserves it's own thread here in the Mavic section since it isn't really "general". Mods, if you feel it should be deleted/moved, no problems.
I was sold but after i saw this.....

Here is what I said:

I'm not a pro videographer or even trying to be one but my amateur eye saw the difference right away. Having owned and flown the P3S, P3A, and P3P, the Mavic falls short in 1080p 60fps. I disagree with the notion of shooting anything below max quality is a waste. Shooting fast moving objects such as boats and cars and wildlife look much better in 60fps (IMO). I never had any issues with the P3A and P3P with 1080P 60fps. No aliasing/moiré at all. The P3S has a different sensor and it showed. The video was less detailed, more jagged on edges and trees for example. The Mavic in 1080p 60fps looks the same as the P3S to me. I haven't tried 1080p 30fps to compare but I may just do it for giggles. It is not a deal breaker for me since this is just a hobby and I have other birds to fly but if it was my only one, I'd be pissed. Here's a little comparison I did. I exported the video out of FCPX to Compressor at 45Mbps bitrate...And of course YouTube has it's way with recompressing. Irregardless, you can see the difference here.

Reactions: babyjocko
This has been covered a few dozen times. The 1080 60fps mode on this chip has moire. DJI has said that mode is for FPV. They should have advertised it as such up front but anyone who does a little research before purchasing will see it. If you must have 1080p @ 60fps, the Mavic is probably not for you. There are always trade offs when making something as portable as the Mavic is. 2.7K is the sweet spot for this chip.

This has been covered a few dozen times. The 1080 60fps mode on this chip has moire. DJI has said that mode is for FPV. They should have advertised it as such up front but anyone who does a little research before purchasing will see it. If you must have 1080p @ 60fps, the Mavic is probably not for you. There are always trade offs when making something as portable as the Mavic is. 2.7K is the sweet spot for this chip.

Apparently 2.7k/30 has a lower bitrate than 4k/30.....have you or anyone else tested both modes to see which indeed looks better? I haven't had a chance yet, but I plan to.

Thanks Samm, that's good stuff to know.

Bit rates are the same but less data to compress at 2.7k vs 4k. leading to less compression artifacts. Of course, if you just upload to youtube, their compression will pretty much overwhelm everything and you may not see much difference.

Bit rates are the same but less data to compress at 2.7k vs 4k. leading to less compression artifacts. Of course, if you just upload to youtube, their compression will pretty much overwhelm everything and you may not see much difference.

Are you certain? I thought I read somewhere that the bit rate for 4k/30 was 60Mbps while the bit rate for 2.7k/30 was only 40Mbps.

EDIT: ok, never mind....got confirmation that 2.7k/30 is indeed 60Mbps. I'm going to give that a try.

Last edited:
KztqY40.jpg

3R1aojg.jpg

8zt1ed7.jpg

Reactions: bigvice
2.7k has less moiré than 1920x1080 but I still see it. Especially on railings/fences. If I'm going to shoot 30fps I might as well shoot 4k then.

Reactions: babyjocko
2.7k has less moiré than 1920x1080 but I still see it. Especially on railings/fences. If I'm going to shoot 30fps I might as well shoot 4k then.
You should shoot at what ever looks best to you. The 2.7k mode will, in general, produce less compression artifacts than the 4k mode but at a lower resolution. There was a post somewhere that went into depth about this but I can't locate it right now. I'm surprised you saw any difference in moire between 2.7k and 4k. as they are filtered the same way. I'm still waiting on my Mavic so I'll take your word for it.

It's really disappointing that DJI said 1080 P 60 frames per second is for FPV. What a horrible excuse for an answer on their part when they've touted this drone as flat out having that capability and not just in FPV. Wow!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I'm not sure 2.7K 30 is better than 4K for the Mavic. I get the argument (resolution vs compression artifacts). But based on some fairly unscientific comparisons, the 4K footage is looking better to me.

Reactions: Bill Debevc

Do the latest Mavic Platinum drones have the same issue?
Don't they solve it with a new firmware?

This video says newer Mavic Pro models solved the problem

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO