DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Moisture?

jake94

Reactions
Does anybody have any thought's on flying the Mavic in colder temperature, I have noticed that this bird gets hot and unlike my previous Phantom 3 it has the internal fan that comes on and off to cool itself. My question would be because of the heat being generated, if you fly in colder weather what are the chances of condensation occurring inside the unit.

Keep in mind official "rating" from DJI is for 0 degrees C (freezing).

Flying below that could technically be considered a way to void your warranty, or "Pilot Error" at the least.

That said, it apparently handles quite well in cool temperatures (not too cold). Though condensation is a concern, obviously flying in lower humidity is a good idea. Bigger issue in higher humidity in cold temps would be ice buildup on leading edge of the props causing a sudden failure. Or cold temps effects on the batteries.

Flying in cold does require warming the battery before flight.

Also big issue with returning the mavic indoors for example, after being cold. Like any electronics, has potential to build up condensation all over external and interior surfaces, which could cause damage.

Here is a link to a youtube channel of a Canadian (called Cruising Off Duty) who flew his mavic through the winter, did a fair bit of testing of flying in cold temps:
Cruising Off Duty

Has a bunch of great info in his videos about cold weather flying.

So long story short, it's possible as long as it's low humidity, not too cold, and you take certain precautions. However regardless of how "possible" it is, it may have implications on your warranty with DJI.

I've flown in 20-ish Fahrenheit light snow, before. Brought it in at 40% battery, made sure it didn't have a chance to cool down much from being indoors before takeoff, and stayed safety-paranoid. (Well, as much as possible. It was mid-December, my Mavic just arrived the previous day, and it was my birthday, so... had to try.)

To my knowledge, flying your Mavic in reasonably cold temps is not a problem, for me or for other pilots. I've often flown in temps in the 20sF at all altitudes and in various weather conditions, including in foggy and misty weather, and never had a problem. However, you will notice a marked decrease in battery life when flying in the cold due to the chemical makeup of LiPo batteries, which is unavoidable.

Just to be on the safe side, I usually follow a very cold flight by downloading my video footage immediately after the flight (via the USB port connection) and then clearing my sd card, which allows the Mavic's internal fan a chance to help remove any moisture/condensation that may be present. The Mavic's heatsink and fan do a good job of drying out the bird's internal components in quick order. Just give it breathing room as you go about this so it can do its thing efficiently. Good luck!

I flew mine in extremely cold and dry temps and no issues at all ! Flawless ,battery life was not as good as normal but still very impressive !
Northern Ontario Canada in feb.DJI_0012.JPG

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Captain_Rick