DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

'Morning from Cabo Frio, Brazil.

xfreelunch1

Reactions
I thought I would open my introduction with some of my 'noob' experiences. I bought my Mavic while visiting my daughter in Texas and had some relatively, non-eventful test flights around her very boring neighborhood...
I have flown in and out of Brazil many times and carried more 'junk' through customs than I care to mention without a problem...until this trip; 3 laptops, a desktop, iphone, and....my mavicpro. I got busted! A red face and a thousand dollars later..... I am sure you get the picture.
Finally, I made it to Cabo Frio and was amped to try out my drone, but I was very paranoid about attracting too much interest since Brazil is notorious for tourists getting 'items borrowed'...:). Eventually, I garnered up enough courage and tried to find a spot where I was somewhat hidden from the masses on the beach.
1st flight: Forgot to hit the record button.
2nd flight: Flight went well except I did attract a family of about 15 who wanted to wave at my drone...but they were cool. Got back to my apartment and was very excited to pop out the SD card and watch my stuff. I went to our balcony table and prepared to retrieve the card...FYI, I live on the third floor and have a nice balcony overlooking the ocean...well, I must have been excited or something; I think I pushed the card a little too energetically because it literally did 'pop' out of the slot like some overdone bread from an old toaster and did this little one foot ark, bounced off the glass table, did another trajectory, landed on the balcony floor precisely under the glass railing, and, finally, one more bounce took it sailing off the edge of the building. No, I couldn't find it. Luckily, I had been ingenious enough to buy a backup card (but not smart enough to check the speed requirements.)
3rd flight: Flight went great, but I forgot to check my focus and got 12 minutes of blur. Blame my forgetting things for feeling nervous every time I fly and, of course, for being an old fart.
4th-5th flights. I am getting better! I need: 1. A nondescript carrying case...using something that looks remotely like an equipment case makes me feel like I have a target on my back. I am thinking a large canvas beach bag with some home-made pockets. (Hum...maybe an idea for other pilots needing to be a little less obvious, eh?) 2: a landing pad since, even with extenders, I keep having problems with beach grass (not wanting to land on the sand). Again, in an effort not to be very conspicuous, I am leaning towards a door mat or some rubber floor tiles.

I hope I haven't bored you with my noob adventures. I am now working on video editing. Any suggestions on some inexpensive software?

Thanks!

Ed

Reactions: dirkclod
Reactions: xfreelunch1
Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Mavic Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for
current developments in Mavic quadcopter’s. If you’re new to RC aircraft be sure to read the manual a few times and watch lots of Youtube videos on the subject to give yourself a good start.
Enjoy! Thumbswayup

MAVIC MANUAL: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20170301/UserManual/Mavic_Pro_User_Manual_en_v1.4.pdf

Welcome to DronePilots newest forum . :)

I thought I would open my introduction with some of my 'noob' experiences. I bought my Mavic while visiting my daughter in Texas and had some relatively, non-eventful test flights around her very boring neighborhood...
I have flown in and out of Brazil many times and carried more 'junk' through customs than I care to mention without a problem...until this trip; 3 laptops, a desktop, iphone, and....my mavicpro. I got busted! A red face and a thousand dollars later..... I am sure you get the picture.
Finally, I made it to Cabo Frio and was amped to try out my drone, but I was very paranoid about attracting too much interest since Brazil is notorious for tourists getting 'items borrowed'...:). Eventually, I garnered up enough courage and tried to find a spot where I was somewhat hidden from the masses on the beach.
1st flight: Forgot to hit the record button.
2nd flight: Flight went well except I did attract a family of about 15 who wanted to wave at my drone...but they were cool. Got back to my apartment and was very excited to pop out the SD card and watch my stuff. I went to our balcony table and prepared to retrieve the card...FYI, I live on the third floor and have a nice balcony overlooking the ocean...well, I must have been excited or something; I think I pushed the card a little too energetically because it literally did 'pop' out of the slot like some overdone bread from an old toaster and did this little one foot ark, bounced off the glass table, did another trajectory, landed on the balcony floor precisely under the glass railing, and, finally, one more bounce took it sailing off the edge of the building. No, I couldn't find it. Luckily, I had been ingenious enough to buy a backup card (but not smart enough to check the speed requirements.)
3rd flight: Flight went great, but I forgot to check my focus and got 12 minutes of blur. Blame my forgetting things for feeling nervous every time I fly and, of course, for being an old fart.
4th-5th flights. I am getting better! I need: 1. A nondescript carrying case...using something that looks remotely like an equipment case makes me feel like I have a target on my back. I am thinking a large canvas beach bag with some home-made pockets. (Hum...maybe an idea for other pilots needing to be a little less obvious, eh?) 2: a landing pad since, even with extenders, I keep having problems with beach grass (not wanting to land on the sand). Again, in an effort not to be very conspicuous, I am leaning towards a door mat or some rubber floor tiles.

I hope I haven't bored you with my noob adventures. I am now working on video editing. Any suggestions on some inexpensive software?

Thanks!

Ed

For landing mat, go get a fold-able car wind shield cover......just a suggestion.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa