DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Motor Stop and Crash in Auto Takeoff Mode

flyNfrank - I am running the fw the aircraft came with and have been using Auto TakeOff (40 flights using ATO), no issues whatsoever to report.

flyNfrank - I am running the fw the aircraft came with and have been using Auto TakeOff (40 flights using ATO), no issues whatsoever to report.

Some pilots NEVer have these issues, where others do have them. A person can't just jump to conclusions and blame the A/C. It could be something related to someones Tablet, or SmartPhone for that matter.

Has this been narrowed down to a particular version of the software? I just installed the recent 12/26 update but have not flown yet.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

And to think you never experienced or heard of firmware issues with your now 2yr old P3. Dang it....you were on a streak too.... :eek:Thumbswayup
I didn't say I have had auto-takeoff issues on the Mavic, I haven't, but the possibility of motor shut off is a concern, my Mother didn't raise a slow kid, seems yours raised a wise guy. And don't put words in my mouth, I never said I had never heard of F/W issues with the P3, only that I never had any, you sound like a politician, making up stuff as you go. :)

Reactions: m0j0
I didn't say I have had auto-takeoff issues on the Mavic, I haven't, but the possibility of motor shut off is a concern, my Mother didn't raise a slow kid, seems yours raised a wise guy. And don't put words in my mouth, I never said I had never heard of F/W issues with the P3, only that I never had any, you sound like a politician, making up stuff as you go. :)
Sit down and relax, nobody calling you names. Btw, other post you acted as if you never heard of issues on the P3. Nuff said. Thumbswayup

Just started looking. Not saying it's a problem at this point, but one thing that jumped out right away was this flight started with 35% battery. 11.17 volts and dropped to 11.00 volts.

Yeah, This was at the end of a longer flight, started at 100%, wanted to try out auto take off before I went home. Not like I was about to go for a huge sport mode flight. Also, thats just under the nominal lipo battery voltage, should easily be able to lift off and hover. I wonder if this is more of a battery issue than a mavic issue?

DJI just received my mavic, hopefully I find out what their take is by the end of the day.

Just started looking. Not saying it's a problem at this point, but one thing that jumped out right away was this flight started with 35% battery. 11.17 volts and dropped to 11.00 volts.

Ok the next thing to stand out is....data says the IOC was unable to work, and it never registered the A/C off the ground.

Less the 1 second after it began liftoff it recognized a problem that displayed a disruption throughout several other areas of data.

Edit: "data says the IOC was unable to work, and it never registered the A/C off the ground." This is Normal and no problem here.

Last edited:
Yeah, This was at the end of a longer flight, started at 100%, wanted to try out auto take off before I went home. Not like I was about to go for a huge sport mode flight. Also, thats just under the nominal lipo battery voltage, should easily be able to lift off and hover. I wonder if this is more of a battery issue than a mavic issue?

Just so you know, I'm not saying you did anything wrong. I do know that one of the 1st things the techs look at when researching is if the flight starts with the DJI Recommended 100% full charge in the battery. Just so you know a head of time, in case of a warranty claim you may get something like..."of course it did because the battery wasn't near or fully charged".

On the flipside...I doubt this has to do with the battery unless, 11.00 and under is a red flag? I looked at a few other mavic files I have which both started with full battery which were well into the 12 volt range and they never were even close to 11.00 volts. I'll admit the mavic setup is new to me and I don't know what is and is not good, yet.

Just so you know, I'm not saying you did anything wrong. I do know that one of the 1st things the techs look at when researching is if the flight starts with the DJI Recommended 100% full charge in the battery. Just so you know a head of time, in case of a warranty claim you may get something like..."of course it did because the battery wasn't near or fully charged".

On the flipside...I doubt this has to do with the battery unless, 11.00 and under is a red flag? I looked at a few other mavic files I have which both started with full battery which were well into the 12 volt range and they never were even close to 11.00 volts. I'll admit the mavic setup is new to me and I don't know what is and is not good, yet.

Thanks, appreciate your help. The DJI go app also said I was well within the green time bar, and I think I had at least 5mins of flying remaining. I think if I was in the yellow or red they could say something, but I was in the green...

Has this been narrowed down to a particular version of the software? I just installed the recent 12/26 update but have not flown yet.

Others in this thread are reporting the ATO bug/issue after updating to ver v01.03.0000 - the latest at the time. It is not clear if the bug was present prior to the update. However DJI quickly released v01.03.0200, no word in the documentation if it contains the fix for bugs created by the previous update.

Ok the next thing to stand out is....data says the IOC was unable to work, and it never registered the A/C off the ground.

Less the 1 second after it began liftoff it recognized a problem that displayed a disruption throughout several other areas of data.
Thanks, appreciate your help. The DJI go app also said I was well within the green time bar, and I think I had at least 5mins of flying remaining. I think if I was in the yellow or red they could say something, but I was in the green...

I need the DAT to see what is more detailed data then the TXT. Let me try to explain one huge issue here that many do not know about. I know this can be explained better but, when the A/C Ascends at anytime it uses almost the most battery resources during that process. While in this process available voltage drops. Depending on the "overall" amount of battery volts the battery has, this process can actually drain down the battery below what is a "safe limit". If at any point you stop the process, such as climbing higher, the battery has what is called "recovery volts" meaning the volts will begin returning back near that starting voltage point.
So.....if you start off with a low battery from the beginning of a flight, and in cold weather temps, it will take no time for the "usable volts" to reach that point of "safe voltage". Btw, the safe voltage point is dictated by what the developer has set in the firmware.

What I say to others is, do not make the mistake of thinking is going to operate the way you think it should. Don't take it for granted. When it come to battery anything.....DJI has always been pretty adamant about fully charged batteries prior to takeoff.

Others in this thread are reporting the ATO bug/issue after updating to ver v01.03.0000 - the latest at the time. It is not clear if the bug was present prior to the update. However DJI quickly released v01.03.0200, no word in the documentation if it contains the fix for bugs created by the previous update.

Curious if the "quickly" update was released in the google playstore and itunes, or on the dji.com website, or both?

Edit: I bet you are referring to the assistant?

Last edited:
I need the DAT to see what is more detailed data then the TXT. Let me try to explain one huge issue here that many do not know about. I know this can be explained better but, when the A/C Ascends at anytime it uses almost the most battery resources during that process. While in this process available voltage drops. Depending on the "overall" amount of battery volts the battery has, this process can actually drain down the battery below what is a "safe limit". If at any point you stop the process, such as climbing higher, the battery has what is called "recovery volts" meaning the volts will begin returning back near that starting voltage point.
So.....if you start off with a low battery from the beginning of a flight, and in cold weather temps, it will take no time for the "usable volts" to reach that point of "safe voltage". Btw, the safe voltage point is dictated by what the developer has set in the firmware.

What I say to others is, do not make the mistake of thinking is going to operate the way you think it should. Don't take it for granted. When it come to battery anything.....DJI has always been pretty adamant about fully charged batteries prior to takeoff.

Cool thanks for the explanation. So say you take off with 100%, fly around for 10mins, decide to land with 55% because you want to move to a different location. That battery is done? You need to charge it to 100% before taking off again? What about another scenario, you take off with 100% and do a big flight, you are coming home with 35% and need to ascend to get above an obstacle, will the mavic drop from the sky because the battery voltage dropped?

Cool thanks for the explanation. So say you take off with 100%, fly around for 10mins, decide to land with 55% because you want to move to a different location. That battery is done? You need to charge it to 100% before taking off again? What about another scenario, you take off with 100% and do a big flight, you are coming home with 35% and need to ascend to get above an obstacle, will the mavic drop from the sky because the battery voltage dropped?

The results will be the same in both situations. If there is a difference, it would be between a old and new battery. The example I gave happens quicker with a older battery. Btw, what eats up the most power in a battery is when doing both flying full throttle forward (or backward) and climbing in altitude as I say together at the same time.

That sucks. I like the auto take off feature. Not enough to mess my Mavic up. There's no way to know if it will occur unless I do it.

Understand your point with voltage drop in a max load situation, but certainly there's no "published" limitation on battery percentage requirement for take off. With my P3P, I would fly to about 25 percent, return home and do hover work, landing and taking off to a hover again repeatedly. Although, I never have used "auto take off", I also never experienced any issues with power loss, even on a low battery.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa