DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mountain Top Flight up thru the clouds

RichieFromBoston

Reactions
I have to say, a few slight probs aside and several pairs of new props, this thing is outstanding. I live in Boston and its winter, Yet Ive flown this across the ocean 4 miles round trip several times, Ive flown it in snow, in very cold weather and just recently launched it from the white mountains off the peak of a 4000 mile summit and sent it up thru the clouds. Its amazing, its my first drone, picked it up in december off ebay and its a beast Crashed it in the house, outside at 45 in sport mode and again yesterday in sport mode. And its fine, nary a scratch sans a few new sets or props(more on the way) what nan amazing piece of tech, only thing that bothers me is the fact if we have these imagine what the militaries of the world have, swarming tracking un escapable swarm bots.
RFB

I have to say, a few slight probs aside and several pairs of new props, this thing is outstanding. I live in Boston and its winter, Yet Ive flown this across the ocean 4 miles round trip several times, Ive flown it in snow, in very cold weather and just recently launched it from the white mountains off the peak of a 4000 mile summit and sent it up thru the clouds. Its amazing, its my first drone, picked it up in december off ebay and its a beast Crashed it in the house, outside at 45 in sport mode and again yesterday in sport mode. And its fine, nary a scratch sans a few new sets or props(more on the way) what nan amazing piece of tech, only thing that bothers me is the fact if we have these imagine what the militaries of the world have, swarming tracking un escapable swarm bots.
RFB
video will up on this YT channell, if any are interested.
Top 5 Reviews

You state "several pairs of props"...what was the cause of the props having to be replaced? I only asked because I have yet to replace mine since receiving it in October.

Richiefromboston where abouts are you flying it? I also am from the area and haven't found a place outside of Logans airspace to fly it. I have been heading south towards the cape to get my distance flights in. All in all though I agree the drone is awesome! and gets great shots of the area.

A 4000 mile summit!!! Wow that's high! [emoji6]
I'll correct this as you already probably know ahaha tallest mountain in this region is Mt Washington, just over 1 mile. 4000 foot is what some of the White Mountains are. Those who can ski the White Mountains although they are not huge can ski anywhere! We're bred skiing sheets of ice unfortunately!

You state "several pairs of props"...what was the cause of the props having to be replaced? I only asked because I have yet to replace mine since receiving it in October.
first set was in the house, it wasnt calibrated correctly smashed into a chair, then I hit the house at 45mph in sport mode, and then backed into a tree at 30, so its all pilot error, not the Mav, its an amazing machine, mines been out to sea up in the mountains above the clouds at 8K feet.

How cold a temperature have you flown in? I live in the prairies of Canada and I'm a bit Leary of damaging it in the cold

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

ICK
Do you have any concern over being a hazard to aircraft at that height?
I live near Logan airport, but when i do these high up flights first I get the waiver, second I stay below the highest peak. I would love to go all out but cant for just the reason stated in your question.

How cold a temperature have you flown in? I live in the prairies of Canada and I'm a bit Leary of damaging it in the cold

Ive flown it 4 times in under 32 degrees and twice at 11 degrees and 14 with 40 MPH winds, the mavic dosent scare easy, no probs. Only issues Ive had were all pilot error

Reactions: Tomcat
Richiefromboston where abouts are you flying it? I also am from the area and haven't found a place outside of Logans airspace to fly it. I have been heading south towards the cape to get my distance flights in. All in all though I agree the drone is awesome! and gets great shots of the area.
Ive gone north, up to the white mountains almost zero air traffic, plus in the mountain range you can get serious height all while staying below the highest peak whick equals no planes at all.

Reactions: Prop_Nut
Ive gone north, up to the white mountains almost zero air traffic, plus in the mountain range you can get serious height all while staying below the highest peak whick equals no planes at all.

I have seen the Vermont Air National Guard fly through Franconia Notch... Way below 8000 feet.

I have seen the Vermont Air National Guard fly through Franconia Notch... Way below 8000 feet.

They do quite often. I use to hear them rip over my house in ac130s. They still run drills between there and Pease in Portsmouth. The Issue is you'll never know when!

Reactions: Prop_Nut
I'm curious here. I see many descriptions of people flying in the U.S. at great distances and into clouds, etc.. FAA regulations require all UAS pilots whether hobbyists or commercial pilots to maintain visual line of sight with their aircraft at all times and can't be aided by things like binoculars or the FPV. So, am I missing something here or are all of these pilots just ignoring the law?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I'm curious here. I see many descriptions of people flying in the U.S. at great distances and into clouds, etc.. FAA regulations require all UAS pilots whether hobbyists or commercial pilots to maintain visual line of sight with their aircraft at all times and can't be aided by things like binoculars or the FPV. So, am I missing something here or are all of these pilots just ignoring the law?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Majority are ignoring the law. Anyone you see flying out a mile + is not following line of sight in my opinion. The laws make owning this quality of a drone worthless in my opinion and I don't foresee people following the laws until they are either enforced and loosened up.

What fun is it having a drone that will fly 2-3 miles if you never take it 2-3 out? That's like owning a Vette or a Porsche and never driving it faster than 65 mph.

Sent from my SM-N920P using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: kyle9602

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123