DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My drone dropped from the sky - why?

HVACOracle

Reactions
Mavic Pro was flying for 8 minutes at 90 meters and disappeared from view. I hit the RTH and got a weak signal warning and then the drone was gone. It dropped on to fairly soft ground, surprisleing little damage. Gimble cover has disappeared and the Battery was found a few feet away, with a 75% charge.
This is a brand new unit, going back to the store for warranty - soon.
I see others have had the same thing occur, just thought I'd share.

This is by far the coolest toys I have ever owned and will defiantly be flying again but Dropping out of the sky at random is going to be a problem.

I suspect the battery disconnected in flight and pop off completely on crashing.

If you'd like people to review your flight logs, please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here. Also, please retrieve your DAT flight log (like this), upload it to dropbox.com, and post a download link back here.

If the battery came off, it maybe wasn't properly attached in the first place...?

Reactions: stratos
Where you said "Gimbal cover came off" I thought, maybe it overheated. Since that cover obstructs the airflow into the front vents. Just a thought - I never fly with gimbal cover, as I use it only for photography

I cannot find the DJI Assistant 2 - When I search the App store I only get " DJI Assistant " and that program does not recognize the the Mavic Pro. Not sure what is up with that, has it been released in Canada? I need it to retrieve the DAT file
I did find that the battery can be installed and power the drone and appears to be clipped in place but in fact is not.

I cannot find the DJI Assistant 2 - When I search the App store I only get " DJI Assistant " and that program does not recognize the the Mavic Pro. Not sure what is up with that, has it been released in Canada? I need it to retrieve the DAT file
I did find that the battery can be installed and power the drone and appears to be clipped in place but in fact is not.
Mavic – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads
right column

...maybe it overheated. Since that cover obstructs the airflow into the front vents. Just a thought - I never fly with gimbal cover, as I use it only for photography

I don't fly with it on either but having it on will NOT cause it to overheat. This has been debunked several times, not to mention dji shows it flying with it installed.

Finally got the Assistant 2 install on my desk top, was not able to see any log files, but I think they are on my iPhone.
The unit does fly but Gimble is not work. camera works.

I looked closely at the battery and one side of battery is swollen, lump on the bottom plate. It appears that one battery has expanded. I suspect , It would have pushed up on the battery and dislodged the clip in flight. Battery still has 75% charge from flight.

Reactions: Anthonyk
Finally got the Assistant 2 install on my desk top, was not able to see any log files, but I think they are on my iPhone.
The .DAT is on the Mavic. Look here to see how to retrieve it.

The unit does fly but Gimble is not work. camera works.

I looked closely at the battery and one side of battery is swollen, lump on the bottom plate. It appears that one battery has expanded. I suspect , It would have pushed up on the battery and dislodged the clip in flight. Battery still has 75% charge from flight.
DO NOT CONTINUE USING THAT BATTERY. IT WILL EXPLODE AND HARM YOU AND ANYTHING ELSE AROUND IT. FIND A WAY TO SAFELY DISPOSE OF IT.

Where you said "Gimbal cover came off" I thought, maybe it overheated. Since that cover obstructs the airflow into the front vents. Just a thought - I never fly with gimbal cover, as I use it only for photography

Yet another post about the untruth surrounding the gimbal cover.

The bubble doesn't make you're Mavic overheat. It's been proven again and again.

I've done extensive testing in the hot 100+ degree heat. The change is less than a few degrees of at all.

Reactions: stratos
I will be sending it all back to DJI - Thier pros should look at it closely.
This seems to be a one off occurrence, but there will be a reason. Has anyone had negative experience with their warranty returns?

Its been proven time and time again the the Gimbal cover DOES NOT cause any overheat and DOES NOT obstructs the airflow.

This sounds more like the battery was not properly attached

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada