DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My First Mavic Crash !!!!! Don't try this at Home.

Macmad

Reactions
I want to share my first Mavic crash with you all, but please don't expect anything too exciting, this was firmly down to my own stupidity.
OK here goes, I travelled from London to New York City, unfortunately due to the weather, I have not been able to fly my Mavic once since I have been here, now 4 days,
Today was a really hot and sunny day, I ventured out to a local park, but the wind was just too strong, I returned to the hotel room a little frustrated and decided to get my lack of flying hours back on track in the hotel room,
Big mistake !!!, I was showing the wife how stable the Mavic was while manoeuvring around the room quiet pleased with myself,
I left the Mavic hovering 1.2 M and was fiddling with the record buttons, when I could see the Mavic drifting to the right, so was heading towards a LCD panel which is wall mounted, now I have been flying for about a month now, but when you get in this situation, you do PANIC, I slammed the Mavic into the wall narrowly avoiding the LCD TV, I broke all the props, but other than the broken props and a few minor scratches to the wall, the Mavic looks like new.
Unfortunately having not had a chance to get near Manhattan with my Mavic, I thought I would share a picture taken firmly on the ground at the World Trade Centre site,

Attachments

• 191AE31B-5AC9-48D4-B39D-3915AA95B3D7.JPG
    191AE31B-5AC9-48D4-B39D-3915AA95B3D7.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 133
What's all people is saying all the time, millions of times: DON'T FLY INDOORS, only when you know what you are doing. Lolol great pic by the way . :)

Same thing here. My only crash was on an open air porch... I took off and it started to drift towards the sliding glass good..... it drifted for no reason and it ever drifts like that when in open areas, but whatever... I broke two props on the crash side. I don't know why it drifts so much "indoors" , but whatever. I won't launch in closed spaces anymore, not even in tri-pod mode. I just don't trust it anymore

Reactions: grizzard
What's all people is saying all the time, millions of times: DON'T FLY INDOORS, only when you know what you are doing. Lolol great pic by the way . :)
Same thing here. My only crash was on an open air porch... I took off and it started to drift towards the sliding glass good..... it drifted for no reason and it ever drifts like that when in open areas, but whatever... I broke two props on the crash side. I don't know why it drifts so much "indoors" , but whatever. I won't launch in closed spaces anymore, not even in tri-pod mode. I just don't trust it anymore

Yep nearly a very valuable lesson learnt today, I am sure we have all tried it and some of us will experience it, but it's simply not worth risking flying indoors.

Yep nearly a very valuable lesson learnt today, I am sure we have all tried it and some of us will experience it, but it's simply not worth risking flying indoors.

If you didn't bring spare props you can probably find them at Best Buy or Micro Center, if there are either nearby.

I got to tour inside the World Trade Center before they opened it for business. Not as tall as the old Towers, but impressive in its own right.

If you didn't bring spare props you can probably find them at Best Buy or Micro Center, if there are either nearby.

I got to tour inside the World Trade Center before they opened it for business. Not as tall as the old Towers, but impressive in its own right.

I have fortunately brought some spare props with me, and did the WTC 9/11 museum today, which is a real emotional visit, really well put together within the foundations of the former WTC site, well recommended.

I want to share my first Mavic crash with you all, but please don't expect anything too exciting, this was firmly down to my own stupidity.
OK here goes, I travelled from London to New York City, unfortunately due to the weather, I have not been able to fly my Mavic once since I have been here, now 4 days,
Today was a really hot and sunny day, I ventured out to a local park, but the wind was just too strong, I returned to the hotel room a little frustrated and decided to get my lack of flying hours back on track in the hotel room,
Big mistake !!!, I was showing the wife how stable the Mavic was while manoeuvring around the room quiet pleased with myself,
I left the Mavic hovering 1.2 M and was fiddling with the record buttons, when I could see the Mavic drifting to the right, so was heading towards a LCD panel which is wall mounted, now I have been flying for about a month now, but when you get in this situation, you do PANIC, I slammed the Mavic into the wall narrowly avoiding the LCD TV, I broke all the props, but other than the broken props and a few minor scratches to the wall, the Mavic looks like new.
Unfortunately having not had a chance to get near Manhattan with my Mavic, I thought I would share a picture taken firmly on the ground at the World Trade Centre site,

You left out the most important part. What did your wife say after you crashed it?

Glad it wasn't damaged too badly and still functional for the rest of your trip.

For those folks that insist on trying their luck flying indoors ( I also had to try it once against my better judgement), make sure at the very least to turn off landing protection. Also not a bad idea to turn off front OA, and set it to hover for lost RC Signal. Also make sure there is plenty of light so the downward sensors can help the Mavic maintain position. With GPS only, if you have a signal indoors, the AC will still drift a fair amount.

Turning off LP will allow you to land quickly if problems, without the delay where it asks for landing confirmation at .5 meters. The last thing you need is a delay as the Mavic is heading for a crash landing. With landing protection off, you can hover at 1 inch off the ground to get a feel for how the Mavic will behave, after taking off using CSC.

I certainly would discourage indoor flights, especially for the inexperienced. Really bad stuff can happen....and quickly. If boredom, monsoons, or just curiosity sets in and you must, maybe some of the suggestions above will help allow you to come through it unscathed.

Last edited:
Reactions: JLane
You left out the most important part. What did your wife say after you crashed it?

She called me an idiot, and said
She knew that would happen etc etc .
In all fairness she have been very good, it was a shame I could not fly it yesterday due to high velocity winds, off the East River.
But in hindsight, maybe if I had tried to fly it this could of ended much more worse.

But chin up, I am here to fight another day.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottyg2s