DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My first Mavic crash

LostRogue

Reactions
Stupid pilot error.

I was trying to manually take a slow circling shot of my motorcycle form about 8-10 feet up. I had my face buried in the iPad watching the shot, when Brain said "There's a tree nearby. Perhaps you should look up and see". I did that, and the Mavic was drifting into the branches. Mild panic set in, but did I just let go of the sticks so the Mavic would stop? Noooooo. Brain said, "Move stick left to slide left away from tree!!!". However, since the Mavic was facing me, Physics said, "Nope...move stick left, Mavic goes right". Which it did, right into the tree.

It's scuffed up, I broke 3 props, and scratched my ND 16 filter, but other than that it seems fine after some careful test flights. I had to "reclip" the gimbal under it's mounts, and I had a definite tilt to my shots AND a slow gimbal drift when hovering, but after doing a full gimbal calibration those issues seem to have gone away. Video is fine as well. I have the refresh plan, so maybe if it's still flying at the end of the year, I'll send it in so I can get a clean, un-scuffed body and gimbal housing.

Glad to hear you didnt do too much damage to your Mav. Low and slow is the hardest way to fly and easy to lose orientation. You were smart to use an ND filter when flying, it probably saved your OEM lens from getting scratched which would require you to get an expensive new one or send it in for a refresh.

Are your motors making any whining noises when you fly? You might turn each one by hand to make sure they spin freely. Also check to make sure all the motor temps are about the same after you fly.

Reactions: MrsTreat
And I had a terrible crash last saturday, but until now i'm not understanding what happened. I have already travel the drone to cancun, farm, city, already at 500m height. Not much experient - i imagine about 15 flights. But saturday, i was flying not high (15meters), and passing in the middle of two buildings with a lot of space (about 20 meters). When i was passing by, about 15m heigh, and 20 meters distance from me on the ground, i stopped to see the configuration of camera that i'll probably use, and without any commands, my mavic starts to fly to the left (without responding my commands to not go there) and crash against the wall. for my lucky, it didn't enter through some window and hurts someone. But I'm still thinking, what happened? Could happen again in some worst situation? (like above the sea or lake, or when it's miles away from me)...??? it broked one wing, and one propellers pair. But the rest i tested and seems ok. I'll send to a authorized store to change the back/left broken wing.

Sounds like a lucky escape. I'm with thunder BTW - I recently started flying with a UV filter when I don't need an ND purely because I saw the cost of replacing the front glass of the camera which is quite expensive.

Glad to hear you didnt do too much damage to your Mav. Low and slow is the hardest way to fly and easy to lose orientation. You were smart to use an ND filter when flying, it probably saved your OEM lens from getting scratched which would require you to get an expensive new one or send it in for a refresh.

Are your motors making any whining noises when you fly? You might turn each one by hand to make sure they spin freely. Also check to make sure all the motor temps are about the same after you fly.

They sounded fine post crash. I flew through 3 batteries and all behaved well. I did not check the temp of the motors though. I will.

Just in case you're not aware there's a pause button on the controller which when pressed the Mavic will immediately try and stop where it is so if it's quickly strafing along if you hit the pause button it will aggressively brake to try and stop itself quickly. It's worth trying out a few times and get a feel for it so if you're in a situation where it might help, you can just hit it in a panic and hopefully save the drone.

Reactions: RobP62 and DUGHINI
Just in case you're not aware there's a pause button on the controller which when pressed the Mavic will immediately try and stop where it is so if it's quickly strafing along if you hit the pause button it will aggressively brake to try and stop itself quickly. It's worth trying out a few times and get a feel for it so if you're in a situation where it might help, you can just hit it in a panic and hopefully save the drone.

Yeah.....I know. It was just an instinctual reaction. My fingers moved the sticks before I even thought to do anything. I'm actually in the frame of the video as I glance up, and I can see my fingers moving before I even show a reaction on my face.

I have crashed mine into trees/brush twice now. Both times due to pilot error... Broke some props and have some scratches but I was impressed that no major damage occurred. The scratches sucked at first but they give me stories to tell. Plus I've accepted that I bought this thing to have fun so while I've learned to be extra careful and diligent while flying, I try to relax and have fun. My State Farm policy helps too. ;)

how would you check the motor temps? what is the correct motor temps? thanks

Maybe DJI should change that button name from 'pause' to 'panic'. My first instinct is to let off the sticks as well. I'm gonna have to try that panic button and see how she reacts. Thanks...

I caught your Q. On the motors whining and need to ask, my motors seem to be louder than normal with a "whine" or whistling when I give it any stick, for just a quick second, but noticed the db's seem much higher. Thought it was new blades but old ones are just as loud almost like hitting paper. This is the reason for the motor sound question - what could cause this?
Thanks
SGM

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonkyBroxy