DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My First Mod for the Mavic Pro's Gimbal Lock

Bill Debevc

Reactions
Preformed my first mod for my Mavic today. Try to hold back the excitement.

You see, my beloved ground crew keeps forgetting to remove the gimbal lock from the camera. So I decided to take matters in to my own hands and attach a "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the lock.

fullsizeoutput_1e57-jpeg.4559

Cool Right.

Here are the steps. Preform the steps at your own risk.
  1. Purchase the Ribbon from Amazon
  2. Find some string.
  3. Get a drill and the right size drill bit.
  4. Remove the cover and the gimbal lock from the aircraft. (very important)
  5. Remove the key ring thing from the ribbon, save for future engagement.
  6. Carefully drill a hole in the rear side of the lock for the string.
    fullsizeoutput_1e63-jpeg.4561

7. Insert the left end of the sting in the gimbal lock hole. Insert the right end of the string in the ribbon hole.
  8. Tie using a great knot connecting each end of the string, here is a reference to find the correct knot.
  9. Carefully put lock back on the gimbal. Using great care to ensure your selected string and tied knot is not in the way, otherwise it will not fit and you will be sad.
    fullsizeoutput_1e54-jpeg.4560

10. Replace the gimbal cover.
  11. Sit back and rest assured that your ground crew will remember to remove the lock on the next flight.
I am sure there are other ways to get this done, but this is the way I choose for my Mavic Pro. Good luck and be careful out there.

Bill.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1e57.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1e57.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,359
  • fullsizeoutput_1e54.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1e54.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,314
  • fullsizeoutput_1e63.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1e63.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,335

You see, my beloved ground crew keeps forgetting to remove the gimbal lock from the camera. So I decided to take matters in to my own hands and attach a "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the lock.

Cool Right.

2. Find some string.

7. Insert the left end of the sting in the gimbal lock hole. Insert the right end of the string in the ribbon hole.
  8. Tie using a great knot connecting each end of the string, here is a reference to find the correct knot.
  9. Carefully put lock back on the gimbal. Using great care to ensure your selected string and tied knot is not in the way, otherwise it will not fit and you will be sad.

11. Sit back and rest assured that your ground crew will remember to remove the lock on the next flight.
I am sure there are other ways to get this done, but this is the way I choose for my Mavic Pro. Good luck and be careful out there.

Bill.
you're not the first but it's good to remind me!! Thanks

Would you like the blueprints in imperial or metric units. Pick one you can't have both. I'am not Burger King. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Brianna

Cool Right.

2. Find some string.

Bill.
I like your idea Bill I just order the label from Amazon.
Thanks for sharing this.

What about tying a fishing line from the gimbal lock to the bubble cover... you remove the cover and the lock gets pulled with it?

What about tying a fishing line from the gimbal lock to the bubble cover... you remove the cover and the lock gets pulled with it?

Then you won't have the option to fly with the gimbal protection dome on .
I always leave dome on unless doing a final video especially if setting up waypoints that are low and close to trees . One very small twig can rib the gimbal off . When I'm ready to film final cut I remove dome

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: Bunny Too
if u click the attached file you will see it that way. so if you pull the gimble long enough the lock will come with it. click on the attachment file and you'll see how

I would also like to know where you bought the Velcro strap you have around the props. I use a large rubber band but I don't like that. I would like to use the Velcro.
to tell the truth ...I don't remember....found them laying around the house one day. sorry

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake