DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My highest speed so far.

Jaysjob

Reactions
I just wanted to pass along my fastest speed so far and state the conditions. So, I flew yesterday in 15mph winds with 35mph gusts in a very long open field. It's was a little hairy at times! Not surprisingly I achieved my highest AND lowest flight speeds to date. The high was with the the wind of course at 49.5mph. And the low, full out in sport mode against the winds was 22mph. Still not too bad considering.
Also my three battery times were 15, 17 and 16 minutes I'm sure because of the high winds. But the Mavic once again performed outstandingly! I couldn't be happier being a proud owner of one. I would be interested in hearing others speeds and in what conditions they were achieved.

Reactions: marky153
How many "Too High Wind Velocity" warnings did you have to clear :)

Hi! None actually. I just kept on flying. The RTH still worked but it didn't want to land. I had to do the last bit manually. [emoji106]

Oh man did they limit the top speed in the latest firmware update. I can barely hit 70km/h nowadays with a tailwind. I'm only flying at 5500rpm at full whack in a tailwind. It seems they have cut down on the max speed? I have to fly in a headwind to get over 8000rpm now.

Anyone else notice a difference?

Reactions: Jaysjob
Oh man did they limit the top speed in the latest firmware update. I can barely hit 70km/h nowadays with a tailwind. I'm only flying at 5500rpm at full whack in a tailwind. It seems they have cut down on the max speed? I have to fly in a headwind to get over 8000rpm now.

I haven't updated the firmware yet.

If true, it may save collisions. I know, speed governance is anathema to everyone.

The speed display in the latest firmware was finally fixed to display the correct speed. Prior to the fix all speed appeared in the app much faster then the aircraft was actually traveling. Only the remote controller display had the correct reading.

The speed display in the latest firmware was finally fixed to display the correct speed. Prior to the fix all speed appeared in the app much faster then the aircraft was actually traveling. Only the remote controller display had the correct reading.

Well my point was I think the rpms are way lower in a tailwind after the update. It's a shame the drone dat file has been overwritten otherwise I would check the precise rpm from my fast run. I wonder if I can get rpm data from the controller logs?

I spent some time analysing drone & phone log data. Unfortunately the phone logs don't contain rpm data. I can't really say if anything has changed based on my log analysis since I lack the drone logs from my fastest run. My guess would be, it was more windy that day compared to today.

Anyways what I can say is the drone top speed in general is definitely software limited because you easily hit 9000rpm flying into a headwind while you only get around 6500rpm max in a tailwind. I noticed my rpms decreasing as it approached 19 m/s.
But I don't know if they changed anything in the recent updates. I need to do some more tests when the weather is right :)

EDIT/ The closest data from a couple of weeks back that I could find showed 22.4m/s @ 5750, 6318, 6407, 6125 rpms. The rpms seem to be pretty close to what I got today, so nothing has probably changed apart from the weather conditions. I know this is nitpicky stuff, I just got curious...

Last edited:
Yes it's a fact that speed is limited. My max is just under 46mph in strong wind. I haven't noticed any reduction since applying the new 500 firmware though. It seemed exactly the same to me.

Yes it's a fact that speed is limited. My max is just under 46mph in strong wind. I haven't noticed any reduction since applying the new 500 firmware though. It seemed exactly the same to me.

I wonder what the top speed would be if you forced the drone into atti mode. Maybe there's a risk of the drone inverting? In any case I don't think I'm brave enough to try blocking the gps signal and strapping a gps tracker to it to check the speed. Would be fun to try though...

That is the conclusion I came to as well after researching flight data. They control the speed based on the flight pitch. The faster you could go, it begins to level. About a week ago I flew in wind gust that would have had the aircraft in the 80mpg range if fly the Phantom 2+.

Reactions: Nathan Hoover
I updated my firmware on the Mavic and I'm having a hard time seeing a difference in speed between P and S mode. Before the update it was a noticeable difference in speed. Now, not so much.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada