DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic Fly Away Yesterday...

Reactions
I don't know what happent with my mavic Yesterday, I've done compas Callibration, Flight with GPS mode, and accidently Mavic got interference on its flight only after few second take off.

IMG_9503.PNG

Can you describe a bit more what happened?? Seems like you were flying it close to a lot of metal, that might have caused some interference. You got so lucky not hitting that power line during take-off!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Where did you do compass calibration? If you did it on the roof, then that's what caused the problem... There's too much metal/interference on that roof to calibrate your compass. You need to go to a wide open field without anything within 30-50 feet...

Have you ever flown that route before? I'm also curious what the lens blockage is at 0:19, gimbal come out of the tabs?

Omg stop with the compass calibration stuff... seriously ENOUGH! Someone here did major test on calibration and metal in the area had almost zero effect on it. The only thing the guy could find that would cause a problem was the magnet in his cell phones speaker. The roof would have been fine to calibrate on.

Looks like you clipped the power line!

I used to fly in this area oftenly without any problem and also with callibrating compas on the rooftop. This is the video my inspire 1 flight in the same area wihtout any problem. As it shown on video bellow on 04:30.

In this case, there's no any warning before take of, but the warning appear after few second flight...

And also with this Phantom P2V fly in the same area:

Last edited:
Can you describe a bit more what happened?? Seems like you were flying it close to a lot of metal, that might have caused some interference. You got so lucky not hitting that power line during take-off!

That day I would like to test how stabil the camera without plastic cover, so I record the fly once it take off. Before I take off, as usual I'll wait until it ready to fly, and as you see we have 16 GPS signal that's good enough to fly. After home point recorded Im taking off... I move forward slowly, I realize it start out of my control when it move forward faster. Actually I'm really scare if it will hit the cable or trees, because it move forward it self. This is really out of my control I try to increase the height to avoid any obstacle, and try to take it back the direction to me. Its lucky I still can control and land it without any crash.

That day I would like to test how stabil the camera without plastic cover, so I record the fly once it take off. Before I take off, as usual I'll wait until it ready to fly, and as you see we have 16 GPS signal that's good enough to fly. After home point recorded Im taking off... I move forward slowly, I realize it start out of my control when it move forward faster. Actually I'm really scare if it will hit the cable or trees, because it move forward it self. This is really out of my control I try to increase the height to avoid any obstacle, and try to take it back the direction to me. Its lucky I still can control and land it without any crash.

In my opinion you clipped the cable with front right arm/prop, yawed clockwise accordingly, and successfully recovered after that. Gimbal lost alignement due to the impact as well. i don't see magnetic interferences here, just g forces.

I agree that for the most part, compass calibration is over-diagnosed here.

I don't think you hit the cable but the high electrical current inside the cable creates a strong magnetic field. You were very close to it, so it definitely got confused about compass heading.

Reactions: sonof40
I think DJI is aware of some Mavic's that have critical flight issues. I think a secret recall is behind the delayed shipment

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Let's not start some new conspiracy theory, please.

Ok. Just look up secret product recalls. Many companies do it. I'm sure there is an acceptable percentage rate for device failures before a company like GoPro pulls their product off the shelves.

DJI hinted at having manufacturing issues when people were complaing about shipment dates. There are a handful of videos on YouTube with unexplained loss. One recent post states that it was an issue with the "motherboard". No conspiracies. Just assessed interest. I think it's the best drone on the market for consumers. I'm not blind though. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Omg stop with the compass calibration stuff... seriously ENOUGH! Someone here did major test on calibration and metal in the area had almost zero effect on it. The only thing the guy could find that would cause a problem was the magnet in his cell phones speaker. The roof would have been fine to calibrate on.

Looks like you clipped the power line!

Just because one guy did a test does not make it ok to calibrate around metal. All seasoned drone pilots and DJI themselves state not to calibrate close to metal or near concrete which is riddled with it as the roof would have been not to mention all the metal objects on the roof itself. The thing is you will not always get a calibration error as the bird will not necessarily know that there are other influences at work. You will only find once it is too late and this could be 100th flight you have in the same area.
Why risk it, the manufacturer states not to do this, people with years of experience state not to do this, I have never done it and not had a single flight issue.

However in this case all I can see is that the cables effected the compass and the IMU as they were flown under but who knows what would have happened had the compass been calibrated somewhere else, may have even been worse...

Some of us pushing our luck with drones, there places,and I'm not talking about NO FLYING ZONES ,we R not suppose to fly and expose our drone ,I got my Mavic for almost 3 months flying everyday ( almost ) and I got NOT a single issue with .

Giving up is the only sure way to fail !!

Reactions: Larry
It does look that it either clips the power cable or passes so close that the field around the cable has an affect on the Drone .... I think in this location my take off would be straight up to 10 meters then fly out .... I would be staying as clear as possible from those cables.

However I think id be looking for a more open space to take off fly and land :) ( but then I am quite new to drones )

Last edited:
Some of us pushing our luck with drones, there places,and I'm not talking about NO FLYING ZONES ,we R not suppose to fly and expose our drone ,I got my Mavic for almost 3 months flying everyday ( almost ) and I got NOT a single issue with .

Giving up is the only sure way to fail !!
Almost three months? You got yours in September before they announced it?!?

Reactions: ___ and Kilrah
I don't know what happent with my mavic Yesterday, I've done compas Callibration, Flight with GPS mode, and accidently Mavic got interference on its flight only after few second take off.

View attachment 2144
This looks like a type of incident that happens with the P3. Basically, the launch site is geomagnetically distorted causing the compass to have an incorrect value. The FC uses this incorrect value to initialize the Yaw value. Shortly after launch the compass becomes correct because the AC is far enough away from the cause of the geomagnetic distortion. But, the Yaw value doesn't become correct because it is determined mostly from the gyros. The error condition you see in the Go App is because the FC realizes there is a difference. As a result of the error the P3 would switch to ATTI and then, without stick input, just hover. It seems the Mavic doesn't always switch to ATTI, and when it does switch to ATTI, may try to navigate anyway.

If you could provide the .DAT (which is on the Mavic itself) we would know what happened. To retrieve a Mavic .DAT file use DJI Assistant 2 and go to the Flight Record tab. After confirming that it's OK to put the Mavic in Flight Data mode a list containing the recent flights will appear. Select just the Flight Control File of the incident flight and then press Save To Local. Ultimately a file with a name something like DJI_ASSISTANT_EXPORT_FILE[2016-10-27 22-40-28].DAT will be created.

It'll be large and can't be attached to a post here. Most pilots use Dropbox or Google One drive and then post the link.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair