DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My new favorite Mavic decal

RallySoob

Reactions
An absolute must for me while I get used to the process of taking off the gimbal lock before flight

Yes I do a pre flight check list now but still

bddcab05f2412282e0eb433498e65585.jpg

The first two times i started it i left the lock on. No issues luckily i caught it fast both times and shut it down before removing it

Never again

...i ordered a really cool tether setup for it too that should help

4c16c611f1183ef4c294387180b5c93c.jpg

Pretty sure im going paint my clear plastic camera cover the color Red. Spray it on the inside so it looks nice n super high gloss on the outside. The 2 times i did that i had actually forgot to take off the lock & clear cover together so the red color will better alert me to remove them. Ill paint the lock & order a red silicone top cover too

Could 3D print one in red if you don't want to mess up the original but that said I have the same "Remove before Flight" stringer on the way that I will attach to mine.

Reactions: limbows and clmate
Can the gimble truly be damaged if we forget to take this off?. So far I did it twice out of 15 flights. I got a message about gimble motor overload or something. Sounds very scary and critical.

Can the gimble truly be damaged if we forget to take this off?. So far I did it twice out of 15 flights. I got a message about gimble motor overload or something. Sounds very scary and critical.
If it happens a lot I am sure it will wear out the motors of the gimbal eventually, that is why it is critical to have a pre-flight checklist and even modify the clamp to be more visible so it catches your attention.

No offense friends, but if you had a checklist and used it prior to flight, you wouldn't have to have that "beautiful" sticker on it...

No offense friends, but if you had a checklist and used it prior to flight, you wouldn't have to have that "beautiful" sticker on it...

I agree but...
Sometimes people just turn them on to calibrate stuff or mess with the camera settings. Pre-Flight to me means that you plan to fly.

Reactions: MavicMo
A checklist is the best method whether you are going to fly or just maintenance start ups. It will always pay off in the end!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: mavic air
When I was flying real airplanes, I diligently used checklists. I also had remove before flight streamers in various locations. You can't be too careful...

I have one on my gimbal lock. And yes, I also have a checklist.

Reactions: F6Rider
When I was flying real airplanes, I diligently used checklists. I also had remove before flight streamers in various locations. You can't be too careful...

I have one on my gimbal lock. And yes, I also have a checklist.
Exactly, always have a backup instead of relying on a single solution.

So if I'm just turning on the mp with controller to do update or something just sitting on the table, the gimbal lock still needs to come off right?

absolutely. LOCK OFF -> POWER ON .... always

Hi!
What hapens if one forgets to unlock?
I forgot twice already (I'm a noob, just got a MAVIC and that's my very first drone).

What happened was that the aircraft status on my phone told me some inconsistency between the firmware. It even told me that the gimbal couldn't be (indeed) tested. When I saw that (it was writen in red) I instantly thought that I had forgotten to remove the clamp. So I removed it, the status updated on my screen and I was ready to fly.

So is there a risk like for the MAVIC itself? Or for the gimbal's motor? Or... for what exactly?
Or is it just because you won't be able to move it to shoot (obviously) once airborne?

As the product is new, nobody has reported any outright failures however if you consider that the gimbal is motor driven, upon power up the Mav does a gimbal initialization that rotates those motors on all axis and if locked down, it will not only fail the init but you will be stressing those motors (probably more like servos than motors). Considering the cost of a replacement and the ease of removing the lock, I don't want to be the first to report that I burned out a gimbal motor because I did not remove the lock.

Yeah, I will be attaching my streamer from Amazon with some kind of string or fishing line or something. But as @SkyRider said as long as it gets your attention that is what matters, it is not like you will be showing that part off or flying with it. :)

And keep in mind that the clear dome still has to be able to snap on, which it would not with the thicker cloth 'before you fly' tag I had, the ribbon is nice and thin.

Is it necessary to have the gimbal lock on your Mavic when you are not using it?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato