DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My perspective on the economics of Mavic ownership

To the OP
You must be new at drones(flying camera) I have more than that in other drone's that don't perform as well as mavic (solo for example big fan upgrades are endless ,and you will do everyone that may benefit you)
I spent years roadraceing sport bikes my last race bike I had over 20 grand in , sold it for 8,000 consider myself lucky to get that
Then started building customs and I go overboard Everytime and barely make a profit. Point is it's a hobby and will cost money!

You buy what you want to spend on what you want to have.

Fly more combo gives you everything you need to fly. Anything else becomes what you WANT to have but is not a necessity

I wanted IOS instead of android so i bought an iphone. i wanted a spare drone so i did not have to cart my one to Thailand every 5 mins so i bought another one.

Then i wanted something that would play the video and edit it at a level above what i actually need.

i even bought some extra batteries and 5 spare sets of props, I thought i would crash it far far more than i actually have. (only just on second set after a very minor bush landing).

add to that i decided it would be very nice to upgrade my camera for some groundwork that could also shoot 4k (which is not far from the cost of the camera).

DId i need any of that to fly and enjoy it? No of course i did no,t and honestly i can say i enjoyed flying it as much without all that stuff i bought (and most of it i am crap at using anyway)

i bought it because i could and i wanted too. not because i had too.

Add up my bill and did i get value for money, No but i have had a huge amount of fun learning experience and at 100 flights in still say i do not need any of what i bought to enjoy flying it.

If you take a fly more and nothing else at all its a bargain.

If you have no interest in it for its camera abilities you could have got a much cheaper drone to play with,

But it would not be a Mavic.

The true cost of ownership can be as limited or as expensive as you WANT to make it.

To the OP
I spent years roadraceing sport bikes my last race bike I had over 20 grand in , sold it for 8,000 consider myself lucky to get that
Then started building customs and I go overboard Everytime and barely make a profit. Point is it's a hobby and will cost money!

I heard that . 20 grand in a bike is still not counting $400 tires that last one race maybe , entry fees , fuel , tire warmers , generator etc , plus a nice truck and trailer to haul it .

Let's not even discuss the cost when you crash :)

Gary cato- You're right. I haven't played around with RC airplanes since I was a kid, back in 1960. But I wanted a flying camera and after lots of research decided to wait a couple of years for something that was easy. Then I wanted light and small to travel well. I kept watching each year at NAB, but they remained big and complicated. When I saw the mavic Pro it seemed to be the right fit for all my needs, but decided to wait for the reviews. After about 6 months I decoded this was the one and bought the Fly More kit that is perfect except for one useless to me item which is the bag. I would have rather had any number of other accessories because the Mavic Pro and controller, extra batteries and charger fit in my other gear mag with other cameras.
In a few weeks of flying I became disappointed in flying with my iphone 6+ Basically it wasn't bright enough for outdoor. I tried the sun shade and they were awkward. Vinally decided to switch to using an ipad air 2 which I had already anyway. That worked really well but I had to make a home made bracket which worked great but in bright sun it still was too dark, so I had to buy another mount that worked well with a sun shade. I'm still not real pleased with the sunshade because it is not real easy to attach and then the kit is beginning to grow into a monstrosity and take two long to set up. I'm back to my simple home made bracket that folds up very small and I cast a shadow over the ipad with a ball cap. Need to wear one anyway to keep the sun off my head.
So those accessories all were a waste of money. I did buy extra props too because the fly more only came with 2. All the stories of the experts crashing I decided it was important for this novice to own extras. Well, haven't broken any yet in over a hundred flights. But I watched the videos and decided the people crashing and breaking props fly fast and loose with precaution, doing dare devil stunts, often violating local laws too. I'm not into that, just want a flying camera that takes nice video as a non-professional.
I bought a few other accessories very cheap, such as an open camera dome that is black to cut lens glare. Excellent $6 spent. A couple of $8 leg extenders to land in high grass. Put them on and leave them on. Bought a 5 filter kit for under $37 that works really great, thanks to all the excellent videos explaining the benefits of the ND filters.

Most of my accessories are for making flying easier without adding to the bulk and cost by a great deal.

One very simple accessory I had to fabricate is a bracket to carry another small camera piggyback. Hose clamp bent to the shape of the Mavic plus a quarter-20 bolt to mount the extra camera. So far I have tested a Giroptic360 on the Mavic Pro and it handles the camera nicely. Now I can shoot forward 4K high quality plus 360° spherical video as well. I'm hoping to get this to work for a VUZE 3D 360° camera later this summer when that preorder arrives.

Very excited about the Mavic Pro and it doesn't break the bank, rather as a flying camera, gives me many more shooting options for a real bargain.

BTW- I have already perfected a flying technique that allows me to shoot 3D video from the Mavic Pro's single camera. The method only works for a pan side shot but it does give excellent 3D depth. I do lots of 3D video with my projects so this method will be used often in my 3D projects.

Reactions: Nikon1
OP you forgot to factor in the gas to get to your location, food you eat along the way, opportunity costs (you could be working and making money instead of flying or reading forums), relationship costs, clothing (cant fly out in public naked), electricity costs, etc.

According to my calculations all of the expenses over the lifetime of a Mavic will cost you $1,000,000.

Im selling my bird tomorrow....

I heard that . 20 grand in a bike is still not counting $400 tires that last one race maybe , entry fees , fuel , tire warmers , generator etc , plus a nice truck and trailer to haul it .

Let's not even discuss the cost when you crash :)
OP you forgot to factor in the gas to get to your location, food you eat along the way, opportunity costs (you could be working and making money instead of flying or reading forums), relationship costs, clothing (cant fly out in public naked), electricity costs, etc.

According to my calculations all of the expenses over the lifetime of a Mavic will cost you $1,000,000.

Im selling my bird tomorrow....
Still cheaper than roadraceing for 10 years
Why is my wife still complaining?
Rydfree so true brother! But it was the greatest moments of my life ( excluding my three kids )

OP strikes me as one of those people that goes to a car dealership and lets them talk him into the next model up, tons of accessories, an extended warranty, and a maintenance plan then complains about how the dealership ripped him off.

With the exception of some collectibles there are very few hobbys that can be considered an investment in anything more than the joy it brings you. I can't think of a single hobby I have, hiking, biking (road and MTB) photography, or my Mavic that has any real monetary ROI. It's all about the experience I get from doing it. With the Mavic something myself and most people I show footage to really enjoy is being able to see things from an angle usually reserved for birds. I also have found that if I want to make a video to show someone at work or play for friends if I just save the 2.7k video to a USB drive and plug it into a PC or my 65" TV it looks great without any of the Youtube compression.

People can complain as much as they want about the video quality but I challenge them to find a drone that takes better video, has better battery life, is at least as portable as the Mavic for a similar price. I looked for quite a while before buying and have no regrets about my decision.

Reactions: ronzer
If it ever starts flying beyond visual range and I need to bring it home, sometimes it is hard to see which way it is pointed, so I use a crude form of "dead reckoning" by looking at the distance range, and then slowly turning the Mavic around in a circle (yawing with rudder) as I monitor the distance to see if it is headed in the general direction back home.?
It really is easy. There is a video around somewhere that can teach you in about 5 minutes how to bring your Mavic back manually without telemetry as long as you can see it no matter how far away it is. Practice.. practice.. practice

Yes, but my concern is the skewed ratio of sticker price to actual Total Cost of ownership.
Imagine if you went to a car dealership and bought a $25000 car later to find out it actually costs $100000
Except that really isn't true. You can go to a dealership and buy a base model for peanuts.. you can add options to that vehicle that can add to the price significantly. Not much different here. You bought a stripped down model for 799.00 ummmm you knew it didn't come with a controller or extra batteries. Your choice.

I knew I would want extra batteries. Knew I would want a car charger. Knew that I wanted to fly with a TX not wifi. Knew that I wanted extra props. Knew that I would want a case. So I bought the optioned model for 1299... I actually consider the price to be an absolute steal considering I paid substantially more when the P3p was released and I got essentially a TX a bird and one extra battery. It's been said already.. you get what you pay for..

So you didn't not buy DJI Care? Is so add another $99. Since DJI Care by itself without a premium doesn't activate, and is useless, for cost accounting you have to add at the very least the FIRST premium which is $79.
that is another $178, so no one would ever be able to make any claim under DJI Care for less than $178, then the $99 is misleading.
I'm going to disagree with this point as well. You don't need care refresh. How do you get it cost 178.. It just doesn't. It cost 99 bucks that's it. Just like most insurances including car insurance there is a deductable. They didn't hide it. IF you want just standard insurance you can get that for around 60 but really you don't need either.

Not really sure I'm getting the original post or the point of it, but anyway
I'm quessing it could technically be classed as one of the three 'F's' so
If the op is concerned about the cost of ownership, maybe consider rental of a manic by the hour :)

My Setup:
Mavic Pro $999
2 Extra Batteries $178
2 Sets of Propellers $18
TOTAL: $1195
Yes, plus 8% sales tax, but I got 10% rebate so the real cost is actually less than that.

Will I be spending more money in the next few months? Possibly. But as far as I'm concerned, the ADVERTISED PRICE of a Mavic Pro was always $1299 (the Fly More package), not $799 as OP suggests. I've been reading up on the Mavic Pro since before its release, and I had never seen the $799 price tag. The body was always $999. But I also knew that would be barebones and that I'd need a few hundred more to get it where I wanted it to be (same goes when you buy a computer or any electronic hobby).

Let's compare that to two hobbies brought up in this thread. Cars & Golf. These are REAL LIFE examples from my cousin and me.

CAR:
About 7-8 years ago, my cousin used to drive the Nissan GT-R and go racing every other weekend.
Car (stock): $80,000
After mods: $135,000
Tires (per month): $2,000
Brakes & other maintenance: $$$$ I have no idea, but I'm sure it was a lot
It got too expensive that after 2 years, he sold the car and bought a Subaru BRZ (when it first came out; sticker was around $25K).
He still has the Subaru BRZ and he still races 1x-2x a month.
He spends at least $1000/month in maintenance alone (plus racing fees, gas, etc.).
On the GT-R, the initial $80K cost ended up being over $200K.
On the BRZ, sticker was $25K but easily outspent $100K in the last 5 years.

GOLF:
In 2010, I picked up golf. Clubs were advertised to be under $1000. I somehow got some great clubs for under $1000 (retail $2000).
New set of TaylorMade clubs (irons & wedges) = $800.
TaylorMade Driver & fairway wood = FREE (I was friends with the TaylorMade rep).
Scotty Cameron Putter = $100 (sticker was $300; friends with Scotty dealer).
TOTAL initial cost: $900
Then I spent $100 on bag, $100 on shoes, $100 in balls, $80 for gloves, $200 in apparel. Played 2-3 rounds a week at $20-$150 per round. Occasional lessons ($40-$100).
TOTAL first year cost = over $10,000.
My handicap was 31 and I never broke 100 once (shot exactly 100 just once).

Check out OP's other posts....Not sure why he/she even bothers owning any dji products.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S