DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Nasty mishap

pscott

Reactions
Ive flown my Mavic stead since receiving it from Santa and today had my first mishap...

Of course while showing it off to a neighbour... Anyhow upon take-off it immediately flew into me cutting my arm ..Not bad and i didn't need stitches but it f'ing hurt . The Mavic was sitting on a table in any open area and fell to the ground after hitting me.

My fault...I was standing too close (about 4ft) but why did it launch itself sideways ? .... I examined the logs with healthdrones and in my haste i didnt wait for it to acquire the home point...It had 8 sats but it doesnt make entire sense to me....Anyhow i wont do that again..

PScott

Reactions: Ghostvizer
8 satellites doesn't always give you sat lock... Sounds like full manual mode kicked you a little, it happens to everyone. I've flown in manual with 10 satellites that still wouldn't lock. If you don't want it to happen again, then make sure the bar not only turns green, but is staying green and that you have a good lock. It always drifts in manual :)

Reactions: Bikemonster
My suggestion if you want to hand launch, don't use the auto take off function without a full sat lock. that's my rule of thumb :)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tanin
Actually, until DJI fixes the issue with auto takeoffs I'd probably avoid auto takeoffs completely unless you want to risk a random crash from 4 ft up.

Reactions: halley
Actually, until DJI fixes the issue with auto takeoffs I'd probably avoid auto takeoffs completely unless you want to risk a random crash from 4 ft up.
I hardly ever use the auto take off, but what is the problem with it exactly?

Ive flown my Mavic stead since receiving it from Santa and today had my first mishap...

Of course while showing it off to a neighbour... Anyhow upon take-off it immediately flew into me cutting my arm ..Not bad and i didn't need stitches but it f'ing hurt . The Mavic was sitting on a table in any open area and fell to the ground after hitting me.

My fault...I was standing too close (about 4ft) but why did it launch itself sideways ? .... I examined the logs with healthdrones and in my haste i didnt wait for it to acquire the home point...It had 8 sats but it doesnt make entire sense to me....Anyhow i wont do that again..

PScott
Don't worry, that's part of the hobby :) I've gotten countless of cuts and bruises from the propeller hitting me... Always due to user stupidly. (Been flying multi for years now)

Since you didn't have enough satellites to acquire a steady 'GPS Mode' upon startup, it sounds like it was in OPTI mode (uses VPS for position stabilization only). When it took off, the VPS probably didn't like the terrain below which caused it to drift toward you.

I don't think this is related to the auto take off failure which results in your drone completely shutting all motors off immediately after launch

Reactions: pscott
Used the auto take off two times since I took ownership of my Mavic about a week and a half ago. No issues with it so far. However, haven't used RTH yet.

I suggest lots of open space if one flys indoors. 3 of my 5 fingers got beat up pretty good , after not having a green light on the app for gps flight.

After some observations, I feel like I've had error free manual takeoffs. The forward looking cameras sense objects 20+ feet out, so for me I like to have level, clear space about 15ft in all directions from the MP, just in case.

Safe flying!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: Andrew F
I try to make it a habit to ensure I have full sat lock and everything through the aircraft status tab is perfect before I take off. I have had too many past mishaps occur due to rushing through the pre flight check process.

There's been a few instances to be found on here where auto take off starts OK but just as it stabilises there's a total shut down.
On a soft surface with luck minimal damage but some have had cameras detach dropping onto concrete etc.
I've been using it for hand launching no problems but those who've experienced the shut down had also been OK previously.

Not really been enough reports to rule out other factors like maybe battery not contacting perfectly and voltage drop when put under load?

I haven't had many issues with the auto take off, but i'd rather just do manual though so that I can choose the height. As for the RTH feature, i'm not a big fan.. It's a neat idea, so that you don't end up with a lost drone, but i've always kept a pretty good eye on mine. I was forced into a RTH situation, as I thought the battery power would have lasted a bit longer. My battery ran low and went into RTH mode, and well tried to land though a nice big tree... long story short my drone is now in route the the DJI doctor :( lesson learned no more flying on getting low battery time, also no taking off where it cant land from directly above...

why would anyone rush past a full green status on all fronts? Its just not worth the potential hassles including a home point lock. Take the extra 30 seconds for the bird to get a gps fix. Note that most GPS systems take a bit longer if they are starting from a significantly different position as the last time they had a lock....so if you drive somewhere or move from last flight point expect it to take 20 seconds or so from startup to lock.

Oh I never move until I here the " Home Point Has Been Up Dated Check It On The Map " message is heard ..... and guess what ??? I check it on the map then take off :)

Waiting for the home point and checking it on the map is good advice.

I dont think it caused my mishap but this is what happens when you dont wait...

This is one of those times that you want to set the home point to YOU ie your mobile gps position that way this does not happen ..... ( hopefully ) :)

PScott

Another thing I do also is make sure to place the front of the Mavic pointing away from me as its........

A) Easier to understand orientation vs having to remember controls are reversed
B) In case Mavic does drop GPS, the hope is it will travel forward. I honestly don't believe I have ever heard of a Mavic traveling backwards towards the operator, could be wrong.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest