DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

National Parks.. How about State Parks?

PastyBoy

Reactions
It's well known that National Parks are off limits to flying.
Quick question does anyone know the rules on State Parks? Especially in California?
Cheers,
F

Reactions: mikeinbox
I also thought someone mentioned ca is bingo also. There was a recent thread about someone wanting to fly the coast and around San Francisco

Hawaii State parks are prohibited(which is half the **** islands), if you read their websites. Not sure if there is law, or if DNLR just says so is enough.

california state parks are drone friendly except where it is posted otherwise.

Thanks Steve.
Kenneth Hahn Park (in the middle of Los Angeles) is the closest wide open space I can find outside airspace to practice in.
It was good to finally practice active track and some other great features.
At early evening it's a great place with views towards downtown LA and the snow peaks behind, fingers crossed for clear air this week!
Cheers,
Fraser

Reactions: Troncat and SteveCA
The drone companies (dji) need to start sending out free samples to all the park rangers and officials making the laws so they can have some hands-on experience with modern sophisticated drones.

I am working hard trying to get our department to purchase a drone with FLIR for search and rescue and, resource management, and wild land firefighting. . They'll have one of it. Now I am trying to get donations from private companies to help fund the project to give us this life saving technology.
In the mean time I am using my own Mavic to scratch the surface of the capabilities of drones for us.
I've also thought about opening one of our open areas to the public as "drone friendly".

I wish we had more open minded people like you up here. I would think you could issue permits for use, maybe even require some type of insurance or a background check like a conceal and carry permit. I would happily comply with anything like that. But the only answer I get when I ask park officials at any state or local level is NO.

I recently visited the Oleta State Park in north Miami beach and I asked the officers responsible for the security if I could fly there. The answer was: "Check it online, if it says you can, go ahead".
I flew there for about 5 days consecutive with no issues, including the fact that I was seen by the security from the park and nothing was said.
So I guess it would depend.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580