DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

National Trust NO GO

sir.knight

Reactions
Hi everyone
I have just received my mavic, with a view to going out into the scenic areas of the the uk to capture some photos and videos, being a considerate operator I have looking at the rules etc of where I can fly a drone, I now find that a lot of my countryside is out of bounds The National Trust don't allow it.
Of the various reason they quote is -
"Some sites may have wildlife or agricultural animals, or animals which are sensitive to disturbance, such as birds and deer herds, which could be alarmed or stressed by the presence of drones, especially at breeding times"
I live near to the peak district where if you are a bird on national trust moorland you can be shot ! but not stressed by a drone.

My other half has recently been trying to get me to pay out to join the National Trust I now have a valid reason to say NO.

I would love to hear any views on this.

As a British citizen and relating to that anedocte about the frog and the boiling water pan, you're just being shock-awaken to a reality I, as a visiting foreigner, took imediate notice this last summer, while on photography-oriented trip to the Lake District:

That the NT "owns" those places.

Together with the amount of very large lakeside private properties strictly enforcing "no trespass" provisions, the omnipresence and prohibitions-oriented overbearing of the NT on the place, made me feel something I never felt anywhere else in the world and that took me a while to fully understand what it was:

The very unpleasant feeling that I was not actually visiting a location but rather being "allowed" to be there. :(

MK

Last edited:
Reactions: sir.knight
covert operations........... is the key word here.. I bought my mavic so I could be in and out with anyone discovering my where abouts.
the mavic is smaller and quieter than my inspire and P4...
and all this fits into what could be a camera bag...

Looking forward to some decent weather now

Remember this.. It is better to beg forgiveness... rather than ask permission

They have a point about upsetting wildlife etc but they don't control the airspace over their land any more than other landowners.
They can stipulate you may not take off from the site but can't stop you over flying from outside it.
As hinted above the way to do it is 5am on a summer morning when no-one is about.

They have a point about upsetting wildlife etc but they don't control the airspace over their land any more than other landowners.
They can stipulate you may not take off from the site but can't stop you over flying from outside it.
As hinted above the way to do it is 5am on a summer morning when no-one is about.
++
most of my video's are early morning shoots .. nobody about

I had hoped to publish some videos on youtube to encourage other people to visit some of the excellent scenery we have in this country.
but will now have to exclude anything associated with the national trust, unless I fly in from outside their "owned land".

Do not loose heart.. just be smarter than they are.. that's what I do
Most of my video's on youtube, are taken over somebody's domain.. whether it be Naional TrustT or National Heritige
Be smart in the video title etc

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60