DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND filter stops required for Winter Snow

jimmylee

Reactions
hi guys

i am travelling to Tromso region in march. from what i know its likely to be partial cloudy and lots of sunshine.

i am waiting for my dpi 3 piece filter set, which has a highest nd of nd16. will this be be sufficient to cut the glare and reduce my shuttle see to 1/50 typically?

i was thinking if i should get an nd32 from Taco too.

Jimmy

If its very sunny, you might need the 32, especially with the snow. You might get away with the 16 but have to go up to 1/120 which isn't terrible but not ideal. I have the 6 piece Taco set with multicoated glass and they work very well. I can highly recommend them.

I haven't tested the non-coated ones for Mavic but have a lot of experience from photography/videography. The multicoat ones reduce internal reflections. They also significantly limit or, in most cases, eliminate color casts that can be introduced with the cheaper ND filters.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: jimmylee
I haven't tested the non-coated ones for Mavic but have a lot of experience from photography/videography. The multicoat ones reduce internal reflections. They also significantly limit or, in most cases, eliminate color casts that can be introduced with the cheaper ND filters.

Thanks . It good to hear from experts like you.

I certainly would not call myself an expert. Just an amateur who knows enough to be dangerous.

Glad I was able to help.

I shot yesterday over the frozen snowy lake in sunny conditions with an ND16 from polar pro and thought it was still a little bright. Then again, honestly I dont know what I am doing!

Indeed since a filter won't change image brightness the slightest, only the shutter speed that's used to get it.

Reactions: Squamer
Sunny snowy landscape is where you might be happy to have an ND64.
Definitely. I was getting 1/6000 to 1/4000 shutter speeds when shooting in snow on a sunny afternoon with no filter. ND64 would put it in the right ballpark.

Here is an App to help you

Know how, when and which ND Filter to use. The App supports

ND4, ND8, ND16, ND32, ND64, Long Exposure Timer and ND Filter Guide For Drones, AFPV, Action Camera, DSLR and Mirrorless Camera. This App will also helps you Estimate the panning speed and Time to Reduce Judder or Jitter in any camera.

DOWNLOAD NOW ON APPLE STORE

‎Cineshot Pro

GOOGLE PLAY STORE

Cineshot Pro - Apps on Google Play
Which app? Is this is a link (applesore) it’s not working. Thx

Definitely consider 32 or 64 for best results. The glare off the snow is next level when the sun is out.

Which drone do you have? Some have a fixed aperture and others have variable, and this can influence what density of filter you need. The Mini3P has a F1.7 fixed aperture so would likely need ND32 or ND64 to keep the shutter speed sensible in bright sun and snow. I've seen shutter speeds of 1/2000 when shooting medium green foliage in direct sunlight on my Mini3P (no ND filter).

Last edited:
I’ve the M3. Variable aperture. I doubt I’ll need a higher than a 32 in any situation unless I want to do long exposures a sunny day.

hi guys

i am travelling to Tromso region in march. from what i know its likely to be partial cloudy and lots of sunshine.

i am waiting for my dpi 3 piece filter set, which has a highest nd of nd16. will this be be sufficient to cut the glare and reduce my shuttle see to 1/50 typically?

i was thinking if i should get an nd32 from Taco too.

Jimmy
Keep in mind the function of that 1/50 (assuming you're shooting 25fps) is to provide motion blur. Motion blur is, however, really not a thing when your drone is 250 feet over ground. When you bring your drone down to 5 or 20 feet and you're moving along nicely then getting some motion blur is a thing. When you are filming cars traveling along then maybe an ND filter might be useful even at 250 feet....dunno...but in general you don't need ND filters for high flying. I use ND filters for my Avata as a matter of course since I'm almost always down low. On my Mavic 3, not so often. What you MIGHT need is a 1000 or 2000 if you want to do hyperlapse and have motion blur with a 2 sec exposure, particularly if your drone has a fixed aperture. With my Mav3 it's easy to put an ND filter on and dial the aperture to make things right...with my Mini3 Pro there is no dialing to be done so the ND filter has to be perfect (I keep the ISO at 100 at almost any cost ).

Keep in mind the function of that 1/50 (assuming you're shooting 25fps) is to provide motion blur. Motion blur is, however, really not a thing when your drone is 250 feet over ground. When you bring your drone down to 5 or 20 feet and you're moving along nicely then getting some motion blur is a thing. When you are filming cars traveling along then maybe an ND filter might be useful even at 250 feet....dunno...but in general you don't need ND filters for high flying. I use ND filters for my Avata as a matter of course since I'm almost always down low. On my Mavic 3, not so often. What you MIGHT need is a 1000 or 2000 if you want to do hyperlapse and have motion blur with a 2 sec exposure, particularly if your drone has a fixed aperture. With my Mav3 it's easy to put an ND filter on and dial the aperture to make things right...with my Mini3 Pro there is no dialing to be done so the ND filter has to be perfect (I keep the ISO at 100 at almost any cost ).
Yup. What he said…

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851