DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND filters are amazing!!!

JoshuaCarlton

Reactions
I, like many of you on the forums have seen the numerous posts about poor video quality, (watercolor like video, soft or mushy video. noise). And was starting to think I my have a lemon as well. I was getting bad moire, as well as mushy footage especially with lots of trees. I was also getting grain/noise even in good light. I learned about shooting manually and doubling the shutter speed of my frame rate, I noticed a big difference when I did that but everything was super overexposed. So I ordered ND filters from Taco RC and BAM! Everything looks so crisp and clear now. It's solved all those issues and now I know that it wasn't a bad Mavic but me needing to learn to be a better videographer. Hopefully some of this information can help any of you that might be struggling with similar issues.

Last edited:
I, like many of you on the forums have seen the numerous posts about poor video quality, (watercolor like video, soft or mushy video. noise). And was starting to think I my have a lemon as well. I was getting bad moire, as well as mushy footage especially with lots of trees and even grain/noise even in good light. I learned about shooting manually and doubling the shutter speed of my frame rate, I noticed a big difference when I did that but everything was super overexposed. So I ordered ND filters from Taco RC and BAM! Everything looks so crisp and clear now. It's solved all those issues and now I know that it wasn't a bad Mavic but me needing to learn to be a better videographer. Hopefully some of this information can help any of you that might be struggling with similar issues.
Also I realize that some of you unfortunately do have faulty drones, but maybe some of you should try ND filters before sending them back just to check.

Also I realize that some of you unfortunately do have faulty drones, but maybe some of you should try ND filters before sending them back just to check.
I too have noticed a nice improvement with the filters. It really doesn't help with aliasing, but the motion blur looks so much smoother.

Reactions: grizzard
I too have noticed a nice improvement with the filters. It really doesn't help with aliasing, but the motion blur looks so much
I too have noticed a nice improvement with the filters. It really doesn't help with aliasing, but the motion blur looks so much smoother.
I find if I shoot 4k 30 or 24 it cuts out the moire, and noise. So happy to have finally dialed my settings in.

Reactions: grizzard
Do you use the ND filters all the time now or just in bright light?
Do you use them on a cloudy day?

I'm finding that my video is crystal clear, but the colors are not true.

Reactions: skychatham
Do you use the ND filters all the time now or just in bright light?
Do you use them on a cloudy day?

I'm finding that my video is crystal clear, but the colors are not true.
I just recieved them today, however I will use them anytime I can't double my frame rate with the correct exposure.

I, like many of you on the forums have seen the numerous posts about poor video quality, (watercolor like video, soft or mushy video. noise). And was starting to think I my have a lemon as well. I was getting bad moire, as well as mushy footage especially with lots of trees and even grain/noise even in good light. I learned about shooting manually and doubling the shutter speed of my frame rate, I noticed a big difference when I did that but everything was super overexposed. So I ordered ND filters from Taco RC and BAM! Everything looks so crisp and clear now. It's solved all those issues and now I know that it wasn't a bad Mavic but me needing to learn to be a better videographer. Hopefully some of this information can help any of you that might be struggling with similar issues.
Exactly

Well said, ND filters are turning out to be a "Must Have" for the Mavic. I have experemented and proven this myself. May I ask, Do you still see occasional moire and Aliasing (shimmering around objects in 1080 50p or 60p) when recording on sunny days, blue sky.

Exactly

Well said, ND filters are turning out to be a "Must Have" for the Mavic. I have experemented and proven this myself. May I ask, Do you still see occasional moire and Aliasing (shimmering around objects in 1080 50p or 60p) when recording on sunny days, blue sky.
I have not had a chance to check yet. I can edit 4k files on my iPad Pro so I am going to stick with that. I was very surprised just how much ND filters help.

Reactions: stu15
Interestingly the Hangar panorama app specifically says NOT to use lens filters in its instructions. I supppose this might be a still image vs video thing.

Also there's an app called filmmaker pro, that can edit 4k and do basic color correction and grading,

i just saw the price of those filters.. woaw! seems expensive to me ! anyone of you has got a video with 2 footage one with nd filter and one without?

I just recieved them today, however I will use them anytime I can't double my frame rate with the correct exposure.
Joshua, can you give an example of that with Mavic menu settings?
I know it may sound natural to you, but I'm typically a "trust the camera with Auto" shooter and want to take advantage of these adjustments with the Mavic. (adjusting frame rate based on exposure) I have seen it mentioned in a video but even then I was going...wait, what? when? ;)

Thanks!

Joshua, can you give an example of that with Mavic menu settings?
I know it may sound natural to you, but I'm typically a "trust the camera with Auto" shooter and want to take advantage of these adjustments with the Mavic. (adjusting frame rate based on exposure) I have seen it mentioned in a video but even then I was going...wait, what? when? ;)

Thanks!
Sure, I can tell,you what works for me, please keep in mind, I am not any sort of pro, but I am getting what I consider really nice results. I found my best settings are as follows, 4k 30 frames per second, I set my white balance to cloudy or sunny whichever looks best that day, this also keeps the white balance constant throughout the flight instead of it changing when I transition from ground to sky. I keep the ISO at 100 and use ND filters so I can set my shutter speed double my frame rate, so my shutter speed is set to 1/60th of a second. I shoot with the color style set to none and the profile set to sharpness +1, The rest are set to 0. I have found that instead of tapping to focus I have much better results setting my C1 button to center focus, I line up the shot and pres C1 and gently fly the shot.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biggej