DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND Filters for Mavic

I had the PGY Tech ones in my hands in 48 hours... Amazon.ca had them for while, and shipped via Prime. No complaints... A set of Polar Pro cinemas up here will cost almost $200, and I the PGY ones cost me $59.99 to my door. They can be installed pre-calibration and work as described.

Just a thought.

The reason to fit ND filters is to slow the shutter speed down so as to introduce some motion blur relative to the frame rate for a more pleasant viewing experience when panning or having any fast movements.

The downside of ND filters are:
  • Filters have to be fitted before flight and changed if light/subject changes
  • Adds weight /wear & tear on an already fragile gimbal.
  • No way to adjust mid-flight
  • Extra glass in front of camera potently adding colour caste
So why not add motion blur in post production software? The cost is about the same as a good set of filters.

Something like ReelSmart Motion Blur - RE:Vision Effects

The upside would be:
  • Settings can be optimised post capture and changed mid-flight as lighting or movement demands.
  • Same software would work for different drones/cameras - only one outlay for Mavic/P4/Go Pro....
  • Using a high shutter speed would allow for sharp stills to be pulled from 4k video.
The downsides might be:
  • Need to spend more time in post
Has anybody tried using motion blur software? After all its how CGI movies do it in the cinema - and that the look we're after,

Last edited:
Reactions: DustyVisor
Just a thought.

The reason to fit ND filters is to slow the shutter speed down so as to introduce some motion blur relative to the frame rate for a more pleasant viewing experience when panning or .having any fast movements.

The downside of ND filters are:
  • Filters have to e fitted before flight and changed if light/subject changes
  • Adds weight /wear & tear on an already fragile gimbal.
  • No way to adjust mid-flight
  • Extra glass in front of camera potently adding colour caste
Has anybody tried using motion blur software? After all its how CGI movies di it in the cinema - and that the look we're after,

I think your downsides could be updated:
1. If lighting changes during flight you bump or lower Ev
2. There is zero quantitative data that filters add wear/tear
3. You can adjust mid-flight using the EV comp
4. Quality ND filters will not add any color cast at all

I personally think it is far easier to do everything in-camera rather than post.

-Jeff

1. If lighting changes during flight you bump or lower Ev

True, but you don't really want to fly with a big ND in place and then compensate with a high ISO thus giving more noise. Filming at high ISO is never a good idea with a small sensor. But I agree t can be done.

There is zero quantitative data that filters add wear/tear

I think its only common sense to look at how flimsy the gimbal is (pus the fact there is a clamp) to know there is a risk of damage or at least you have to be vary careful when doing it often.

I 4. Quality ND filters will not add any color cast at all

Agreed. I was only really referring to cheap filters - not like the quality ones you supply. Not a fair point on my part since the software is not cheap.

I personally think it is far easier to do everything in-camera rather than post. -Jeff

Yes, I agree. Its generally always a good idea to get it right at source. On a day with stable lighting conditions I'm sure ND filters must be the best way to go, making subtle exposure changes with ISO. .

But I would be interested to know if anybody has tried the software route along side the ND solutions? I would love to compare results but I haven't got any ND filters (Yet) or sunshine!!

Reactions: beldog41
It just comes down to personal preference.
I know myself and almost everyone in cinema gets their shutter speed where they want it in-camera with filters.

-Jeff

Right after we got our Mavic Pro we purchased the Y&C ND Filters online.

When these ND filters arrived from China they didn't allow the gimbal go through the start-up calibration because the filters hit the gimbal! The glass in these filters actually fell out of their housing during cleaning!

I also machined the aluminum housings down on the Y&C filters so they would allow for the gimbal set-up calibration to finish.

Soon after going through all of the difficulty with these terrible Y&C ND filters I found about PolarPro!

PolarPro ND filters are far superior to all of the ND filters for the Mavic Pro on the market today! Now we have every ND filter that PolarPro makes for the Mavic Pro.

These ND filters are the HOT setup for the Mavic Pro and PolarPro also makes other high quality accessories for the Mavic Pro!

Last edited:
It is a metal flexion coil, it may be a little tighter fitting on some cameras due to variance, but it is built for longevity.
Let me know if you have any other questions!

Jeff
Closeup picture!

We purchased the Y&C ND Filters for the MAVIC PRO. Each filter weighs 0.7g and five filters plus the case was $40.83

• Aviation Aluminum-Alloy, optical glass,
  • Double grinding optical glass, the multilayer coating,.
  • Top level of transmittance Ultra thin.99.5% light transmittance, ultra-thin no dark corners
  • Precision CNC Machined
  • High precision laser engraving. Anodizing
  • Sunnylife%20ND%20Filters%20for%20the%20MAVIC%20PRO_zpsozv3plmq.jpg
  • Sunnylife%20ND%20Filters%20for%20the%20MAVIC%20PRO%201_zpsxa6zifsy.jpg
Hopefully,everyone will read the review on this product before they buy!!!!

Reactions: CanyonRunVideos
Reactions: stratos
It just comes down to personal preference.
I know myself and almost everyone in cinema gets their shutter speed where they want it in-camera with filters.

-Jeff
ordered. Thanks,Jeff
(now says shipped) (pretty speedy)

I'm definitely no expert but I have the Taco RC non MC filters, and I'm 100% happy with them. By the same token, a friend of mine has the Polar Pro (Cinemas I think) and he is 100% happy with them. I've also tried the PP's and to be frank, to my uneducated eye, there is no real discernible different in the iq between the two, just the difference in putting them on and taking them off.At the end of the day, I reckon you'd be happy with any of the more prominent 3 (that you can leave on) it's just a question of what brand/price you want to go with.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Last edited:
All filters add a color cast. Typically warm.
Right. I'm just wondering how @PolarPro measures their filters to see how they stack up against their competition. I think this is a tough thing for a layman to discern, so it would be useful to see a test showing how good a particular manufacturer's filters really are.

Polar Pro holds in place with an insert, kind a coil. Not quite convenient to be changing it every day.
Taco filters are lighter and don't fit so tight.
I have the Taco kit of 5 filters that cone in a nice case. They seem to fit on on the camera fairly snug. Time will tell if they get lose with wear.

Fly often, be safe

Reactions: beldog41
I usually try all of the commonly purchased brands. That way I know what to recommend when people ask ;)

Hey msinger I was wondering what filters to get, just confused on what's good and not... I see some people want polarized filters and I'm seeing the tacos aren't? So I was wondering what is some good filters or the best ones thanks again.

I was wondering what filters to get, just confused on what's good and not
I own all of the filters listed here. All of them should work well for you. I'll be posting a comparison of all of them within the next week.

I see some people want polarized filters and I'm seeing the tacos aren't?
Unless you're going to be flying over water or other highly reflective surfaces, they probably won't benefit you that much. Plus, they have to be rotated just the right way for the polarization to work properly. Here are some videos showing how the polarization works:

Last edited:
I own all of the filters listed here. All of them should work well for you. I'll be posted a comparison of all of them within the next week.

Unless you're going to be flying over water or other highly reflective surfaces, they probably won't benefit you that much. Plus, they have to be rotated just the right way for the polarization to work properly. Here are some videos showing how the polarization works:

Thanks again, yeah if you can throw up a comparison video would be helpful

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N