DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND FILTERS

What yall think

d3733ec9b6964772e2ba8b3a79cb53c0.jpg

They're nice.
I use the PL filters a lot, like what they do to the colors. When using the filters I like to lock the EV and adjust this manually between shots if needed. Be careful not to pinch them too much when putting them on/ removing.
Never had gimbal issues either, just have one on all the time (except dusk/dawn).

Reactions: kingbrad22
I have pgytech filters, which don't include polarizing. How do you use the polarizers? Fom traditional photography I know that their effect critically depends on the angle against the sun, and you have to turn them the correct degree for them to be effective at all (to remove reflections on water and foliage), and to avoid darkening half of the sky with wideangle lenses.

So, how can you control that on a drone?

I have pgytech filters, which don't include polarizing. How do you use the polarizers? Fom traditional photography I know that their effect critically depends on the angle against the sun, and you have to turn them the correct degree for them to be effective at all (to remove reflections on water and foliage), and to avoid darkening half of the sky with wideangle lenses.

So, how can you control that on a drone?

Trial n error. You need to twist the thing around to find the correct position.

Haha used to fly with pl filter all the time without thinking about the orientation of it. Last week I replaced it with an nd filter when flying in bright sunlight. Put the cpl on without thinking and upon coming home found that the upper right corner of the sky was a beautiful dark blue, as opposed to the rest of the pic... lesson learnt!

Reactions: Rbruz
So conclusion for this would be that polarizing filters are more likely to give a bad result instead of improving your image?

Normal ND filters would be the best option?

They're nice.
I use the PL filters a lot, like what they do to the colors. When using the filters I like to lock the EV and adjust this manually between shots if needed. Be careful not to pinch them too much when putting them on/ removing.
Never had gimbal issues either, just have one on all the time (except dusk/dawn).
I have been testing them out every chance i get. The PL ones are prettt good. I am experimenting more with those

I have to say that I don't like using them. When I have them on and sometimes are panning or moving the camera up/down, it causes the video to go dark. I don't know why this happens.

Look at this video. From 6 seconds thru to 15 seconds, you can see how with the ND filter on it goes from dark to light.

Last edited:
I have to say that I don't like using them. When I have them on and sometimes are panning or moving the camera up/down, it causes the video to go dark. I don't know why this happens.

Look at this video. From 6 seconds thru to 15 seconds, you can see how with the ND filter on it goes from dark to light.

Do you use the PL polairizing filters? Or Just the regular ND's?

Frank, l think you make a standard mistake here and that is the wrong adjustment of your settings. First, your image is far too dark. What ND filter did you use?
As you can read on many forums around the internet.... Shutter speed is twice the frame rate (24frs = shutter speed of max 1/50), then set ISO as low as possible (100 for a crisp image). Then your lighting should be between -0,7 to + 0,7.
When you fly with a lot of shade, use more shots (with different ND filter). If you don't want to do that, put ISO on auto to cover.
This effect what you have is walking into a room with your sunglasses on. And for the use of polarising lenses.... they are not for shading. Its to take flare away from your image. Like sun reflects in water etc. Use lenses correctly... if not, this is the result

Last edited:
Reactions: frankiez

A polariser on a drone is going to do this every time since it is a given refraction that determines the strength of the polarisation, unless the shot you are taking is static or static to the horizon and light-source angle...which of course it won't be if you're flying a drone.

Reactions: frankiez
A polariser on a drone is going to do this every time since it is a given refraction that determines the strength of the polarisation, unless the shot you are taking is static or static to the horizon and light-source angle...which of course it won't be if you're flying a drone.

Thanks, Ziggy. So how do I keep this from happening with the polarizing ND filters?

Frank, l think you make a standard mistake here and that is the wrong adjustment of your settings. First, your image is far too dark. What ND filter did you use?
As you can read on many forums around the internet.... Shutter speed is twice the frame rate (24frs = shutter speed of max 1/50), then set ISO as low as possible (100 for a crisp image). Then your lighting should be between -0,7 to + 0,7.
When you fly with a lot of shade, use more shots (with different ND filter). If you don't want to do that, put ISO on auto to cover.
This effect what you have is walking into a room with your sunglasses on. And for the use of polarising lenses.... they are not for shading. Its to take flare away from your image. Like sun reflects in water etc. Use lenses correctly... if not, this is the result

Thanks for your help. Other than making sure my settings are correct, do you suggest I get away from the polarizing ND filters? I live near the water and thought since I am filming over the water I need them.

That is correct. But don't use them as regular ND filters. Try to limit the length of your shots and use the appropriate filter. Always keep your eye on the light settings when using manual setting. You can find the light setting in the remote control. If your number says 07 and up, your ND is too low. Simple indication. (0 is best)

Ok so my conclusion is to continue using the regular ND filters, because polarizers seem impractical to me.

I'm used to using polarizers from DSLR still photography, and of course those have two separate planes which have to be turned against each other to achieve the effect, and the angle against the sun and sky is critical. Slight changes have large effects, and it will turn out right only within a very narrow margin of the correct angle. And even if I had the correct angle for a shot, I would be restricted to pretty boring shots without much yawing.

So, as long as there is no control for this on the remote, and no motor on the polarizer to do the turning, it doesn't make sense to me.

Ok so my conclusion is to continue using the regular ND filters, because polarizers seem impractical to me.

I'm used to using polarizers from DSLR still photography, and of course those have two separate planes which have to be turned against each other to achieve the effect, and the angle against the sun and sky is critical. Slight changes have large effects, and it will turn out right only within a very narrow margin of the correct angle. And even if I had the correct angle for a shot, I would be restricted to pretty boring shots without much yawing.

So, as long as there is no control for this on the remote, and no motor on the polarizer to do the turning, it doesn't make sense to me.
Correct (DSLR camera's are usually static. So a polar filter has use. Not on a drone)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851