DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Neighbourhood busy bodies

Rangers at Huntington Beach are cool. They say, "have fun just don't fly over other visitors."
Yea, I was flying over that castle and they didn't mind at all. I launched from the parking lot by the little store and they just drove by and waved at me.

Go to Google Street maps and copy some photos taken from the street. Post those to their FB page. Watch them freak out. Bet they get too busy to worry about their "drone" problem.

People don't expect privacy from the front of their home facing the street, but people sure do expect and derserve privacy over their property from a privately-owned camera drone.
Fly away from homes. Plenty of space to play without violating privacy.

Reactions: hibby
Why take your hobby and ruin someone else's? People who are playing Golf don't want to hear your drone overhead all the time. Take it somewhere else to fly.
Lol, it was dusk and no golfers around, i did make sure I was courteous of everyone I possibly could as always. But I also agree, I dont care too much for what a man wearing pastel colours thinks of my hobby so it wouldn’t usually stop me, give him something to aim at and impress me. My friend has actually stood up on the FB page and told them it was him and that he wasn’t directly over anyone’s property but to feel free to come knock on his door for a chat about it.. or to wind your necks in. Went pretty quiet after that amazingly

Wow.

And I constantly read in articles that folks in the US are paroanoid over drones and privacy.

My personal experience however has been glaringly different.

In many years of flying here, in the city, or out in the country, I've never had one single individual, object or even question my flight, other than genuine enthusiastic interest.

I find it's the more rural folks that are leery of drones. I have a couple of relatives that live far outside of town and I was talking with them the other day, they were saying "if I see one hovering above my house, I'll shoot the SOB".. I was like.. "might not be such a good idea"..... They are probably over 200' up and can't see anything anyway... "yeah well, if they are hovering just above my house... blah blah.." I just exited the conversation, you can't change some folks minds..

Being a member of this forum for some time now means I'm fully aware of how drones are viewed by those who dont have them but I have been shocked to learn how just much. After visiting a friend in essex this weekend who has a large garden backing onto a golf course we took the mavic out for a quick 15 minute spin, over the course only and pretty high up 250-300m. This morning he has sent me a link to his community FB page already inundated with 200+ comments from scathing neighbours all wanting to know who it was and how dare someone fly "near their property with a spy drone"! I feel pretty bad for him now as these are his neighbours who will find that witch evetually but I think the world has actually gone mad. Do I post the flight path to this FB page to prove I was nowhere near anyones property or do you think that will stir the hornets nest?
If me? I will make a nice editing with Kinemaster making the perfect freeze on each of them in their garden, circling in red with name caption and supposed activities "Marta, 6 boring road, lighting the bbq" "George, 8 ash Ave, picking roses".. Kind of nice diary :)

Reactions: hookalakupua
I've recently starting posting some videos I've made on a local Facebook group. People really seem to like them and ask if I could post pictures as well. I've only had one negative comment and it was the typical "shoot it down" comment.

When I go to public locations near me I've never had anyone approach me with any negativity and they are usually just curious (cost, is it easy to fly?) or it's kids who just think it's cool. I'm hoping that the more people see flying these things they understand that people aren't spying on them and they just want to take pictures/videos from a unique perspective and be creative.

Reactions: Stubey
Why take your hobby and ruin someone else's? People who are playing Golf don't want to hear your drone overhead all the time. Take it somewhere else to fly.
Who cares what people WANT to hear when they golf? It's not up to them. Do they wanna hear 767 noise? What about Harley Davidsons driving by? Come on... stop worrying so much about things that don't really matter.

Reactions: DeStuntpiloot
Who cares what people WANT to hear when they golf? It's not up to them. Do they wanna hear 767 noise? What about Harley Davidsons driving by? Come on... stop worrying so much about things that don't really matter.
The problem is extremes -- neighbors who expect that only their desires regarding the neighborhood, and the desired use of the airspace by the drone owner don't matter; or, attitudes like yours, that completely dismiss the reasonable expectation of golfers -- on a golf course.

Who cares? I do. You should too. That's how we live peacefully in a society together. Since the purpose of a Golf Course is facilitating playing golf, the owners/developers invest a huge amount of resources into creating and maintaining the course; patrons spend considerable time and money on the pasttime, dismissing golfer's concerns about what's going on over their course is simply antisocial and juvenile.

So for you to come along and expect that it should be available for your drone flying pleasure, the golfers be damned -- well, you are the problem. You are our problem.

You are the problem because it is people like you, with attitudes like yours, that are going to provoke society to constrain MY flying options, and MY ability to enjoy this hobby, even though I'M more than willing to consider other's needs and work with them, rather than spit in their face.

Yes, I do care what golfers WANT to hear while they're playing golf on a golf course. I think that, in a friendly, peaceful, cooperative culture they have a RIGHT to some peace and quiet in that setting and activity.

Golf course dumps more chemicals than you can imagine to keep course beautiful. Runoff to stream, then to lake. Huge algal bloom, beach closed. Vacation ruined.

Golfer enjoys cocktail while wearing stupid pants, never gave it a second thought.

Golf course dumps more chemicals than you can imagine to keep course beautiful. Runoff to stream, then to lake. Huge algal bloom, beach closed. Vacation ruined.

Golfer enjoys cocktail while wearing stupid pants, never gave it a second thought.
That post right there is bigotry, one of the ugliest failings in human beings.

The problem is extremes -- neighbors who expect that only their desires regarding the neighborhood, and the desired use of the airspace by the drone owner don't matter; or, attitudes like yours, that completely dismiss the reasonable expectation of golfers -- on a golf course.

Who cares? I do. You should too. That's how we live peacefully in a society together. Since the purpose of a Golf Course is facilitating playing golf, the owners/developers invest a huge amount of resources into creating and maintaining the course; patrons spend considerable time and money on the pasttime, dismissing golfer's concerns about what's going on over their course is simply antisocial and juvenile.

So for you to come along and expect that it should be available for your drone flying pleasure, the golfers be damned -- well, you are the problem. You are our problem.

You are the problem because it is people like you, with attitudes like yours, that are going to provoke society to constrain MY flying options, and MY ability to enjoy this hobby, even though I'M more than willing to consider other's needs and work with them, rather than spit in their face.

Yes, I do care what golfers WANT to hear while they're playing golf on a golf course. I think that, in a friendly, peaceful, cooperative culture they have a RIGHT to some peace and quiet in that setting and activity.
The reasonable expectation of a golfer is to not hear what amounts to the sound of a loud bumblebee? If I follow all rules, regulations and laws and you can hear the faint buzz of my drone, I'm the bad guy? Why? Because you don't like it? Come on...

The reasonable expectation of a golfer is to not hear what amounts to the sound of a loud bumblebee? If I follow all rules, regulations and laws and you can hear the faint buzz of my drone, I'm the bad guy? Why? Because you don't like it? Come on...
Not sure of your rationality, actually.

My Mavic, and Phantom 4, are far louder than a loud bumblebee. But that's beside the point.

You seem to have the very selfish attitude that golf courses are there for your flying pleasure. This is obviously not the case to, well, probably every other person reading here.

Since you either are unable -- or worse, unwilling -- to comprehend these concepts, there really isn't any point in trying to reason with you.

Rather, you're someone to make sure we have sufficient force to control. Thankfully, we, the rest of society, do.

You can complain and argue and protest and snark all you want -- we aren't listening. Disobey the reasonable rules the rest of us demand you follow to share space with us, and we will punish you. And you can't ever win this conflict against the rest of society. Our force is overwhelming, and our agreement that it is ethical to use it under circumstances that people like you create, is near universal. It's called an organized society.

Prisons are filled with people that have your attitude.

Reactions: firestars
I play golf with the guys a few times a month. If I was on the course and heard a drone I'd definitely look for it out of interest and curiosity. But would it affect my game or my enjoyment level? Hell no! I might not even hear it because we'll have the Bluetooth in the cart pumping out Zac Brown and Florida Georgia Line while enjoying cold beer.
My MP is nearly silent at 300 feet so yeah, sounds like a bumblebee.
If you look back at both of our post I think you'll see the complaining and "snarking", that was a good one, lol... was all coming from you my friend. I'm just not concerned with someone who gets their feelings all hurt over something so insignificant.
From here on out, I guess you and your overwhelming powerful society will just have to put your big boy pants on and deal with it.
Cause God knows I'll surely end up in prison flying my drone legally and responsibility.
I needed a good laugh today. Thank you sir!

Being a member of this forum for some time now means I'm fully aware of how drones are viewed by those who dont have them but I have been shocked to learn how just much. After visiting a friend in essex this weekend who has a large garden backing onto a golf course we took the mavic out for a quick 15 minute spin, over the course only and pretty high up 250-300m. This morning he has sent me a link to his community FB page already inundated with 200+ comments from scathing neighbours all wanting to know who it was and how dare someone fly "near their property with a spy drone"! I feel pretty bad for him now as these are his neighbours who will find that witch evetually but I think the world has actually gone mad. Do I post the flight path to this FB page to prove I was nowhere near anyones property or do you think that will stir the hornets nest?

Let it go, the damage has already been done. Apologize to your friend and hope the neighbors don't find out where it came from. Don't stir the hornets nest. This too shall pass.

You seem to have the very selfish attitude that golf courses are there for your flying pleasure. This is obviously not the case to, well, probably every other person reading here.
Golf courses may not be, but the air space sufficiently above them is public air space.

Rather, you're someone to make sure we have sufficient force to control. Thankfully, we, the rest of society, do.

"Sufficient force to control"? Wow.

Prisons are filled with people that have your attitude.
That is a huge leap.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair