DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Neighbourhood busy bodies

There has been talk recently in my area (Australia) of the local council using drones to monitor pool fencing regulations, they are quite strict here and even temporary blow up pools if over a foot deep require safety fencing...
Under current laws in Australia I don't know how they could do that as they'd be in breach of CASA regulations themselves !!!!!

Reactions: geevee
If you ever want some entertainment, ask a golfer what a perfect game is. If he or she says par, then ask if anyone shot less than par. Keep it up until you explain to the golfer that by the rules a perfect game on an 18 hole course is 18.

If you ever want some entertainment, ask a golfer what a perfect game is. If he or she says par, then ask if anyone shot less than par. Keep it up until you explain to the golfer that by the rules a perfect game on an 18 hole course is 18.
That's an interesting way of looking at it!

And something that will never, ever be done... (we're excluding enhanced cyborg-humans from the future, BTW :p)

I have seen plenty of talk of drone hate on the forums. I thought it was just an American thing to be honest. Never encountered anything like it myself in the UK. What you're describing sounds as much like a Facebook issue as a drone one. Facebook breeds and encourages utter narcissism. Probably why these bunch of self obsessives believe you would have any interest in filming them. If it wasn't for putting your friend in a difficult position then I'd definitely pipe up and respond.
Don't do anything. It will bleed to death. ;)

Reactions: Auspete
Being a member of this forum for some time now means I'm fully aware of how drones are viewed by those who dont have them but I have been shocked to learn how just much. After visiting a friend in essex this weekend who has a large garden backing onto a golf course we took the mavic out for a quick 15 minute spin, over the course only and pretty high up 250-300m. This morning he has sent me a link to his community FB page already inundated with 200+ comments from scathing neighbours all wanting to know who it was and how dare someone fly "near their property with a spy drone"! I feel pretty bad for him now as these are his neighbours who will find that witch evetually but I think the world has actually gone mad. Do I post the flight path to this FB page to prove I was nowhere near anyones property or do you think that will stir the hornets nest?

Besides the other 50 odd states the UK can fit into Texas alone several times
so at least there must be some places where our compatriot Drone operators in the US can say `sod to the lot of you' and fly their Drones in open spaces away for their kith n' kin. Lucky devils! Cant open a packet of fags (Cigarettes) here without somebody tut tutting.

Would'nt bother about privacy in the UK, you cant have a private anything here. We have more `spy' cameras per person than any country in world....and we are supposed to be more liberally free than anyone.

Common land used to be where anyone could tread and enjoy the scenery, now you have to pay for parking, sometimes even pay for visiting and deal with wardens or nosey buggers demanding to know who you gave `the right to fly in a zone'. Apparently the air space above your head is yours and anyone or thing passing through are trespassing. Now you know why the term `F Off is now part of English (And American) language.

Reactions: ZALEXANDERK
Besides the other 50 odd states the UK can fit into Texas alone several times
so at least there must be some places where our compatriot Drone operators in the US can say `sod to the lot of you' and fly their Drones in open spaces away for their kith n' kin. Lucky devils! Cant open a packet of fags (Cigarettes) here without somebody tut tutting.

Would'nt bother about privacy in the UK, you cant have a private anything here. We have more `spy' cameras per person than any country in world....and we are supposed to be more liberally free than anyone.

Common land used to be where anyone could tread and enjoy the scenery, now you have to pay for parking, sometimes even pay for visiting and deal with wardens or nosey buggers demanding to know who you gave `the right to fly in a zone'. Apparently the air space above your head is yours and anyone or thing passing through are trespassing. Now you know why the term `F Off is now part of English (And American) language.

I don't know how the U.K. does it, but there are states in the USA where the air and/or water on your property are still gov't property. It causes stuff like not being able to catch water off your house to use in your own garden or not being able to erect wind farms because it blocks regular airflow.......or not being able to use solar because it might drain the sun dry!!

Part of all these "privacy" issues can be put on the media. Kind of like what they're doing to police officers and many other "news" events. One person does something stupid and they get national exposure for weeks and months. Whereas millions of people do what they're supposed to all day every day or even go above and beyond with nothing but *crickets*

We have our past times. They have theirs. Why not come together and put a flag on the drone?

You have to watch between 1-2 seconds for the hook shot to pass our Inspire LOL.
#Dronegolf #Wehavetheforcetocontrol #Wewillpunishyou #STNG #borg
That can not be real.

I don't know how the U.K. does it, but there are states in the USA where the air and/or water on your property are still gov't property. It causes stuff like not being able to catch water off your house to use in your own garden or not being able to erect wind farms because it blocks regular airflow.......or not being able to use solar because it might drain the sun dry!!

Yes we have that here too, though I imagine by past experiences that some authorities do charge for heavens water and some dont, they find funds elsewhere. Drones are a good opportunity to discover what they can charge for while restricting flight to virtually `own garden' air space. Dont over emphasis draining the sun.... my council are already considering that one.

Golf course
6cb241d6c00d1a74f7f93ec91439e6d3.jpg

I avoid residential property as much as possible - but it's impossible to do so 100% of the time. One area I fly from is close to residential property but I fly away from the houses towards the fields and lakes there. I've adopted a "departure/arrival" path routine where, after climbing to 10 m above the HP, I then descend and air taxi out at a few m above the ground until 50 m or more away. Then I start recording and go higher and further. On return, I descend to a couple m above the ground, 50m or so away, and then air taxi back for landing.

A few people come by and are more interested in what it is than offended.

Sometimes when flying low (10 m or so) out over the fields people taking a walk will wave at the drone. Give them a little wiggle.

Reactions: nzmikey
Had an encounter myself last week. I live in the s-ern part of Netherlands.

Situation: Flight from backyard for testing battery mod. Need to overfly 2-3 houses @50m to transit into farmland and test there. Before able to get there I chicken out because heavy winds, modify settings and return home.
5 min after flight a guy comes to my house (family guy type,father of some kid my son plays with, spoke him weeks before just neighbourly talk) and tells me he represents a group of people instantly complaining on facebook about this flight.
Note: I normally do not fly here. Just needed to test this time (did test before, direct transit). More drones fly in this area, all transit/sightseeing I guess . My Mavic is equipped with really bright strobes red/white so people see that I want to be seen and not sneaking around.
So dialogue as follows (shortened):

Guy: Was that your drone?
Me: Yes
Guy: I represent a group and I do not want you to fly your drone anymore over our houses, cannot sit in the backyard with you filming invades privacy.
Me: Let me explain. I was only testing a new battery and could not make it to the farmland, I never film here by the way, not need to worry about that.
Guy: Testing is your problem, do not make it my problem.
Me: Not doing that, as said I normally do not fly here. There are more drones buzzing around..
Guy: If I see it again I will shoot it out of the sky!!!
Me: By law you are not allowed to shoot stuff out of the sky around here so not smart to do that.
Guy: (walks off) If I see it again I will throw a brick through your windows!
Note: My wife and 4 year old daughter were around me all this time and the guy knew this. 2 more kids in the room hearing this.
Me: This is a threat, this will go to justice.
My wife: I agree!
Guy gets in car and leaves.

Reported this to the police. just now, 4 DAYS later I have to call them again. Seems they already spoke to the guy (who reported me because of the flight) and did not hear anything alarming from him EXCEPT MY DRONE!!! " we can understand why the man reacted the way he did....." WHAT????

Message to the drone haters: You are the kind of people that makes this planet a lesser place because you are proof devolution is a fact. You give away privacy in all forms online via your smart-devices and never complain that governments, criminals and other parties tap into your systems and know everything. You help the media create the " evil" around drones so the before mentioned parties have a good decoy and can do what they do best.
So come and harass drone pilots cause even the law is on your side.

(sorry good folks, lost my cool really. im so frustrated)

People who ignore the 400' high rule tend not to care too much about what people think, so why are you worrying?
So untrue, ignorant, and mildly slanderous.

Case in point: Me.

I fly at altitude regularly. There is so much that simply can't be captured at 400ft.

I'm also the same person that seems to be the MOST concerned about golfers, their needs and interests w.r.t. their leisure activity, and the fact that the purpose of a golf course is to accommodate golfers, not drone pilots who find the imagery beautiful (which it is).

Want to find the people that don't give a crap about others? Just read those that responded to me.

Character/integrity has little to do with slavishly following rules. That's idiotic.

It's about judgement.

Well, then.... In a golf masters competition, with, say, a half a dozen drones ( louder ones) following every step of the players, that would be considered a major crime, dont you think? Come on....

Being a member of this forum for some time now means I'm fully aware of how drones are viewed by those who dont have them but I have been shocked to learn how just much. After visiting a friend in essex this weekend who has a large garden backing onto a golf course we took the mavic out for a quick 15 minute spin, over the course only and pretty high up 250-300m. This morning he has sent me a link to his community FB page already inundated with 200+ comments from scathing neighbours all wanting to know who it was and how dare someone fly "near their property with a spy drone"! I feel pretty bad for him now as these are his neighbours who will find that witch evetually but I think the world has actually gone mad. Do I post the flight path to this FB page to prove I was nowhere near anyones property or do you think that will stir the hornets nest?
I have heard at my local home owners assoc. that "you know how powerful those cameras are now? They can be thousands of feet away and still see in the windows", so I am pretty sure that any one complaining, won't see a particular path safe.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242