DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Neighbourhood busy bodies

Well, then.... In a golf masters competition, with, say, a half a dozen drones ( louder ones) following every step of the players, that would be considered a major crime, dont you think? Come on....
Are your critical thinking skills this primitive? Come on...

I expect with less than 60 seconds deeper thinking, you can see why your example is completely meaningless. Hint: Do you see any difference between a nationally televised tournament, and a random Saturday on the course with private parties playing a round?

If not, I can't help you.

Reactions: geevee
remind them of the good work drones are used for, here in Spain , they now spray mosquitos with them, the fire brigade use them to locate the source of forest fires quickly the Inspire 2 !, Amazon delivery parcels with them, ariel photography, motor racing, football, crowd control, the list goes on

I'm actually surprised I have not created some posts on my Nextdoor group. They go crazy about the most ridiculous things.

Ha! I have posted to next door many times here in our Neighborhood. My approach was to take beautiful pictures of our neighborhood Lake area and some of the docks and houses which line the shores, sunsets, etc..

My neighbors were so impressed by the beauty of our area and the way their homes looked from the lake looking in, that they have been fans of my Drones ever since . They now wait and ask for more pics all the time.

My approach is to show people the power of our hobby for good and they seem to fall right in line..Just my two sense..

2673af6448f2e36d108d3368fa2813cb.jpg
683210a685a7b2d49b40132dbdb83347.jpg
0c4964622e40c75082b26a4de98846d6.jpg
78c283fa5bc93968bdc2958768f8c8e3.jpg
f6f0e93c3fe71b7150a7347c8ada07c5.jpg

Nice shots abwRN! Yep I had exactly the same experience with someone I emailed a clip to, they proceeded to write a page about how they were all wrong about drones and think they will be a great thing for the world. :)

He probs means Feet

If he did, he's never corrected it despite multiple people pointing out that it's above the limit and although we use miles for distance on the road we tend to be metric everywhere else.

Edit - He did mean metres as I've been politely informed of below ;)

John

Last edited:
Reactions: geevee
Are your critical thinking skills this primitive? Come on...

I expect with less than 60 seconds deeper thinking, you can see why your example is completely meaningless. Hint: Do you see any difference between a nationally televised tournament, and a random Saturday on the course with private parties playing a round?

If not, I can't help you.
Sounds like someone needs anger management. Lol...

If he did, he's never corrected it despite multiple people pointing out that it's above the limit and although we use miles for distance on the road we tend to be metric everywhere else.

John
Nope I meant 300m you are quite right.. naughty me. I don’t usually fly that high but over a deserted golf course nowhere near an airport and for a couple of minutes I took a calculated and personal decision.. as we do everyday in life. Well all apart from you anyway Mr squeaky clean as you do love trolling folk on her slapping their wrists with your righteousness.

So untrue, ignorant, and mildly slanderous.

Case in point: Me.

I fly at altitude regularly. There is so much that simply can't be captured at 400ft.

I'm also the same person that seems to be the MOST concerned about golfers, their needs and interests w.r.t. their leisure activity, and the fact that the purpose of a golf course is to accommodate golfers, not drone pilots who find the imagery beautiful (which it is).

Want to find the people that don't give a crap about others? Just read those that responded to me.

Character/integrity has little to do with slavishly following rules. That's idiotic.

It's about judgement.

If 'mildly slanderous' wasn't amusing enough, 'mildly libellous' would be more apt.

Nope I meant 300m you are quite right.. naughty me. I don’t usually fly that high but over a deserted golf course nowhere near an airport and for a couple of minutes I took a calculated and personal decision.. as we do everyday in life. Well all apart from you anyway Mr squeaky clean as you do love trolling folk on her slapping their wrists with your righteousness.

I'm not sure if you've mixed up your quotes but I certainly do not 'love trolling folk and slapping their wrists with my righteousness'. I only rarely post regarding drone legalities and in your case I never gave any opinion about your flying, I simply stated the fact it was illegal and therefore not a good idea to post the video as proof the flight was legal instead you'd be adding fuel to the fire and a golden opportunity to those already critical of the flight.

Being a member of this forum for some time now means I'm fully aware of how drones are viewed by those who dont have them but I have been shocked to learn how just much. After visiting a friend in essex this weekend who has a large garden backing onto a golf course we took the mavic out for a quick 15 minute spin, over the course only and pretty high up 250-300m. This morning he has sent me a link to his community FB page already inundated with 200+ comments from scathing neighbours all wanting to know who it was and how dare someone fly "near their property with a spy drone"! I feel pretty bad for him now as these are his neighbours who will find that witch evetually but I think the world has actually gone mad. Do I post the flight path to this FB page to prove I was nowhere near anyones property or do you think that will stir the hornets nest?

Ignore !

I personally think that forums like these make us think that drone-hate is more rabid than it really is. You have to keep in mind that forums tend to lean towards all the negatives of anything rather than the positives.

In my personal experience... folks in my neighborhood are more genuinely interested in my drone and how interesting it is rather than thinking that I'm spying on them or something dubious like that. I've had many people walk up to me asking me all about the drone and how it works and I've never once had someone in my neighborhood get angry about it.

The ONLY time I've experienced even the slightest discord is while flying at Huntington Beach State Park in South Carolina. I launched from a beach access path and during my flight I had probably 10-15 people walk by me. I said good morning to each of them and I think 2 couples grumbled at me while everyone else was very friendly. I can SORT-OF understand why someone might not like the idea of me flying a drone there as it's a very peaceful natural place where people go to get away from the hustle and bustle of the world. But still... these people are likely the same ones that get agitated at the drop of hat anyway so I can't be bothered by them.

Long story short - I do think some people are concerned about drones but I also think that this forum makes the issue seem much bigger than it really is. My personal experiences do not match up to what I read about here. Not to say that the issues posted here aren't real (I believe they are) and not to say that my personal experience will match everyone else's but... you get my point.

That is my experience. I have had no issues, but people mainly seemed interested in my drone (it is the only nice one in the town). The only time I have flown over other people's property is if by permission, and I'm sure a lot of people understand that it is damaging private property and could be taken to court. I have had a lot of fun with my Mavic!

over the course only and pretty high up 250-300m.

Do I post the flight path to this FB page to prove I was nowhere near anyones property or do you think that will stir the hornets nest?

Gives that you're broken the air navigation order and admitted to a criminal offence it would seem sensible not to publicise that.

Its also why drones are getting more and more restricted - people cant be trusted.

I don't have had any negative experiance either here in the Netherlands.
Most people don't even look at what I'm doing. they just walk by and greet me friendly

Reactions: Pathogen
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada