Join Us Now

Nevada Model Airplane Tax???

FPVJunkie

Reactions
Interesting email I received today from the AMA:

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Dear Members:

Nevada Tax Commission is considering an unnecessary tax on all model aircraft/unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) weighing 55 pounds and less. We need your help to stop this proposed burdensome taxation.

There are numerous concerns, including no exemptions for "model" or "hobby" UAS in the proposed amendment. We feel as though the taxation is unnecessary for all UAS operations, but at the very least an exemption should be granted for those operating as hobbyists under section 336 of Public Law 112-95 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012.

The Nevada Tax Commission is holding a Public Hearing on December 5, 2016 at 9:00 AM at the Silver State Insurance Exchange, located at 2310 S. Carson Street, Suite 100, Henderson, Nevada. We encourage all AMA members in the area to attend this hearing, and voice their opposition to the proposed UAS tax.

For those who can't attend, please join us in telling Nevada's legislators that UAS taxation is a burdensome proposal that is unwarranted in our hobby.

Visit www.modelaircraft.org/stopthetax to learn more.

Kind regards,

AMA Government Affairs Team

Yeah, I'm sure it will be amended to not include hobbyist, especially since Nevada was selected as a sUAS testing state.
Appears that this will impact drones used for commercial purposes and not hobby fliers.

Even if not amended it would be nearly unenforceable for hobby fliers of sUAS.

For instance , I'm flying out in the wilderness and a BLM ranger rolls up and says "Hey, have you had that drone in Nevada for long and paid the tax.

My Answer: No sir just flying here temporarily and the drone and I shall be leaving the state soon.

No way to prove if my claim is legitimate or not. I could fly 10 miles away from that location the next day and would never bump into that same guy again.

I would assume that it would be on sales, don't think they could force it on previous purchases. IDK, either way I don't think it'll include hobbyist, so I'm not too worried about it, just thought I would share.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu