DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Airspace Restrictions

DodgeP

Reactions
Philadelphia, PA | Princeton, NJ | NYC, NY
fQyndtTn4-DRf0ZcwtiZeqw3CFvd4bCXZtc55PKmXE4a_9gkbkToY-7LLogyOurVaoIL4vrEE8mZZSyJ85dYw7Aiqd8TSurpU3IyWSeQESaDmjUUzdKUowZBmFTBFGfMkJtW4QkelmtNkM4DXBVaABxa5Npt3pFXgg=s0-d-e1-ft

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has established airspace restrictions over 133 military facilities to address national security concerns about unauthorized drone operations. The specific restricted locations are detailed in a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) – UAS NOTAM FDC 7/7137, and may be viewed online via an interactive map here.

The Agency is using its existing authority under Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) § 99.7 – Special Security Instructions – to establish these restrictions. The relief provided under § 99.7 is limited to requests from the Department of Defense and U.S. federal security and intelligence agencies based on national security interests.

U.S. military facilities are considered “sensitive” as they are vital to the nation’s security. The FAA and the Department of Defense have agreed to restrict drone flights up to 400 feet within the facility’s lateral boundaries. There are only a few exceptions that permit drone flights within these restrictions, and they must be coordinated with the individual facility and/or the FAA. The restrictions are effective on April 14, 2017.

Operators who violate the airspace restrictions may be subject to enforcement action, including potential civil penalties and criminal charges.

For more information about these restrictions, including frequently asked questions, please visit the FAA’s UAS website.

Not a significant amount of the world but it's bound to ruin somebody's day. I've spent a lot of time on a lot of US military bases. They range from quaint little college town style places to wide open nothingness. Some do indeed have "stuff" the military would rather not have anyone peering at too closely.

There's also a "security" threat against personnel that drones could bring... those operators probably won't follow the rules.

Reactions: DodgeP
When I first read about this thing, I was concerned it covered every Magenta MOA on the VFR maps. I don't live in one of those areas but I do know some people that do. After reading the Notam, it's very reasonable and pretty much limited to the areas directly around the bases where there's activity. Fort Dix/Mcguire MOA is huge in NJ and while I wouldn't fly in the MOA anyway, the MOA runs all the way to the Parkway on the SE side and I would fly there as we have a boat in a Marina down there. The Notam doesn't cover that area, so no biggie for me and it's outside of the class C SFC ring in Atlantic city.

Reactions: DodgeP and hammer73
What I don't want to happen is that these areas get expanded and we begin to see an even larger, blanketed restricted areas and NFZ's.

What I don't want to happen is that these areas get expanded and we begin to see an even larger, blanketed restricted areas and NFZ's.

I agree. I just hope we can self police enough to keep people from doing idiotic things. That said, ISIS and the like are only ramping up their use of small UAS, so chances are no matter what we do, those head hackers will ruin it for us anyway.

Keep in mind that this is not "new airspace restrictions" from the FAA. They have existed for years now. It's only not that the FAA is making somewhat of an attempt to make this information more easily to obtain. However, IMHO it's still extremely lacking. After years the FAA put out an app that would show people airports. No online map... just an app. It then took years to come out with this (terrible) map... and it's still lacking. There is not even the ability to view restricted airspace around prisons. Perhaps in another few years the FAA will get around to including that information.

Keep in mind that this is not "new airspace restrictions" from the FAA. They have existed for years now. It's only not that the FAA is making somewhat of an attempt to make this information more easily to obtain. However, IMHO it's still extremely lacking. After years the FAA put out an app that would show people airports. No online map... just an app. It then took years to come out with this (terrible) map... and it's still lacking. There is not even the ability to view restricted airspace around prisons. Perhaps in another few years the FAA will get around to including that information.

Is it only the responsibility of the FAA to outline these areas or does some of the responsibility also fall onto the operator? At some point people have to do a little work of their own. If you know these restrictions exist but they aren't shown on the FAA app that doesn't mean much. In many instances a 3rd party does a better job than the manufacturer at adding value to its product. Litchi, Hangar, ect.. just to name a few vendors that have added tremendous value to a product that we're all using.

I recommend AirMap Web App before you fly. I don't recommend relying on the DJI geo restrictions air map. You may get into trouble in the US. The airmap one is the most comprehensive one to date IMO.

Also while not fully functional, automated airspace authorization is being worked on: Automated Airspace Authorization is Here - AirMap

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+