DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Canadian flight restrictions

MarcKyr

Reactions
So, the Canadian government announced strict new constraints on recreational drones

Seems to me there is not much new. No flying within a 9 km radius of an aitport, but they are restricting flight height to 150m ??

Any further info ?

So, the Canadian government announced strict new constraints on recreational drones

Seems to me there is not much new. No flying within a 9 km radius of an aitport, but they are restricting flight height to 150m ??

Any further info ?
They have a height restriction of 90 meters.

Here's more.
  • Higher than 90 metres.
  • Within 75 metres of buildings, vehicles, vessels, animals or people.
  • More than 500 metres away from the user.
  • At night, in clouds or somewhere you can't see it.
  • Within nine kilometres of somewhere aircraft take off or land, or a forest fire.
  • Without your name, address and phone number marked on the drone itself.
  • Over forest fires, emergency response scenes or controlled airspace.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarcKyr
These restrictions will be brought in by others, in the US and Europe, as there are HUNDREDS OF IDIOTS who want to publish their 'I lost control' videos or 'bummer - I hit into a skyscraper whilst flying over the city, just outside the airport (after I disabled NFZ settings) and nearly killed someone - but boy, I got close to that airline!' videos.....

These restrictions will be brought in by others, in the US and Europe, as there are HUNDREDS OF IDIOTS who want to publish their 'I lost control' videos or 'bummer - I hit into a skyscraper whilst flying over the city, just outside the airport (after I disabled NFZ settings) and nearly killed someone - but boy, I got close to that airline!' videos.....

Agree. They are in the same field as the unboxing videos. People get a drone to "test" and usually ending in a crash. They're just overloading JoeTjoep with stupidity.

All that space in Canada...wasted. I think Sweden banned any drone with a camera. They have strict privacy laws.

Reactions: MarcKyr
All that space in Canada...wasted. I think Sweden banned any drone with a camera. They have strict privacy laws.

As in Holland and Belgium, privacy laws are imminent. Big part of my license requirement next week.
Anyway... biggest difference as always is between commercial and recreational use. Commercial use is not just selling but even putting an image of a license plate or a photo on JoeTjoep.
This can only done AFTER approval of that person. Usually by a contract. Commercially, you need to be clearly recognizable. By sign and for example with a high viz vest.
Same goes for most of Europe.
If you fly with a license, you should know and respect the rules. If you want to fly in a A1 fly zone (like above a city) you need clearance after calling the local authorities and recorded in your mandatory logbook.
So, flying your Mavic below 10 meters altitude (agl) is fine (also in Sweden). Flying the same with an Inspire 1 or 2 requires a license at all time because it's > 1kg.

Not a big deal

Amazing that people can really be that stupid

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser