DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Design for Lens Hood

Not to compete with @leenanj or anything but I have also created my own version of the hood, you can find it on Thingiverse (Mavic Pro Glare Shield by Motley74) and the source code for OpenScad is on Github (GitHub - motley74/MavicGlareShield: 3D printable object to use with the DJI Mavic Pro to prevent sun glare and protect camera/gimbal) for anyone that is interested in contributing. Takes about an hour to print on my FlashForge Creator Pro with no supports, some printers may require supports under the front of the hood.

I pulled the trigger on the 3D print on ebay. My only concern (from my test with taping the original cover) is fast turns. I was still able to see the tape while turning the Mavic quickly with my hand. Can anyone with the mod verify this? Also turning in sport mode?

Reactions: Drone Man Dan
I pulled the trigger on the 3D print on ebay. My only concern (from my test with taping the original cover) is fast turns. I was still able to see the tape while turning the Mavic quickly with my hand. Can anyone with the mod verify this? Also turning in sport mode?
Are you really going to be flying that fast with crazy turns when you are filming? I am still testing my 3D printed one that I designed/printed myself so will let you know when I finish that. You would be better off going to Thingiverse and finding a print there and ordering that through 3D hubs or something instead of paying the stupid high prices on ebay for these things.

I went ahead and paid the high stupid prices :oops: on eBay--mostly because I was confused by how Thingiverse works. I received this one very quickly from a seller in Canada and have done three flight tests since received, will do more when I see the sun again, which is the "norm" in Austin :cool:. It helps reduce side glare greatly and works perfectly. I do wish I had been a little more patient and supported one of the sellers on this site, not so much for the money saved, but just to support them--I assume they make a dollar or two on Thingiverse.

I'd be interested in following these developments. My grandson's "promised" to make one with his new Christmas present

I went ahead and paid the high stupid prices :oops: on eBay--mostly because I was confused by how Thingiverse works. I received this one very quickly from a seller in Canada and have done three flight tests since received, will do more when I see the sun again, which is the "norm" in Austin :cool:. It helps reduce side glare greatly and works perfectly. I do wish I had been a little more patient and supported one of the sellers on this site, not so much for the money saved, but just to support them--I assume they make a dollar or two on Thingiverse.
Well the way Thingiverse works is people create and upload designs that others are free to download, print, and use based on the license, most items are licensed as free to replicate and use but if displayed in public then attribution should be given to the creator. Attribution is as simple as a sign showing the owners name and link to the source. Most of us on Thingiverse do not make any money, we simply post things in hopes that it will help someone else out. Creators can tie a PayPal account to their Thingiverse account and receive "tips" from those that want to give them. Then there is the 3D Hubs integration as well as a couple of other 3rd party printing services. The way these work is that you select the item you want printed and then go through the service which will find someone local to you that has a 3D printer and it setup in their system. I have not set that up but my guess is the person doing the printing gets enough money to make up for the materials, time, and maintenance of their printer and the service gets a cut but this is still usually much cheaper than what people try to charge on Ebay.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: LakeTravis
Well the way Thingiverse works is people create and upload designs that others are free to download, print, and use based on the license, most items are licensed as free to replicate and use but if displayed in public then attribution should be given to the creator. Attribution is as simple as a sign showing the owners name and link to the source. Most of us on Thingiverse do not make any money, we simply post things in hopes that it will help someone else out. Creators can tie a PayPal account to their Thingiverse account and receive "tips" from those that want to give them. Then there is the 3D Hubs integration as well as a couple of other 3rd party printing services. The way these work is that you select the item you want printed and then go through the service which will find someone local to you that has a 3D printer and it setup in their system. I have not set that up but my guess is the person doing the printing gets enough money to make up for the materials, time, and maintenance of their printer and the service gets a cut but this is still usually much cheaper than what people try to charge on Ebay.

Hope that helps.
That actually helps great deal and thanks for explaining so succinctly... I get it now and feel less dumb, or perhaps more dumber (yeah, not a word, I know) because it seems rather simple, now that I gets it. And just for the record, I agree (and did before) they are stupid high prices on eBay!!

That actually helps great deal and thanks for explaining so succinctly... I get it now and feel less dumb, or perhaps more dumber (yeah, not a word, I know) because it seems rather simple, now that I gets it. And just for the record, I agree (and did before) they are stupid high prices on eBay!!
Yeah, I would not be able to live with myself if I charged $20 for something that took less than an hour and less than 50 cents in material to print. But I guess there is a premium for those that for whatever reason cannot print themselves.

For anyone that is interested I would recommend looking at your local libraries, I know 2 of them in the town where I live have been upgraded to provide some 3D printers for public use. Great way to learn more about them before jumping into a purchase which I must say I highly recommend. I love being able to print just about anything I want when I need it.

Yeah, I would not be able to live with myself if I charged $20 for something that took less than an hour and less than 50 cents in material to print. But I guess there is a premium for those that for whatever reason cannot print themselves.

For anyone that is interested I would recommend looking at your local libraries, I know 2 of them in the town where I live have been upgraded to provide some 3D printers for public use. Great way to learn more about them before jumping into a purchase which I must say I highly recommend. I love being able to print just about anything I want when I need it.
Thanks, something else I didn't know. I'm gonna check out some local libraries. Although I know that, like most people, I currently don't have the need for one, the moment I get one I'll start finding all kinds of cool things to do with it!!

After I received mine last night from eBay, I did some further modifications...filing away more of the hood to increase view when the camera turns. I'm still satisfied with the purchase considering I saved $10 (not buying spray paint) and shipping from Canada was good timing (flight tomorrow). I have a coarse file handy and managed to get the result I want. The PLA is black, no need for touching paint.

@Motley I printed your new revision but have yet to test it, mad props! Let us know if you upload anymore useful accessories to thingi!

Reactions: Motley
@Motley I printed your new revision but have yet to test it, mad props! Let us know if you upload anymore useful accessories to thingi!
Thanks, let me know if you have any suggestions via the comments on my design. I am making a modified rear extended landing gear to use for mounting some lights to make the Mavic more visible at night. If you want you can follow me on Thingiverse and you should get notified of my updates, I have a few other designs some not related to the Mavic.

Reactions: dmanisgnarly
dunno if this has been covered yet, but:

how much have ND/CP filters cut down on the flare and glare? I imagine it's not completely dealt with, but wondering if it's enough to pass on lens hood?

how much have ND/CP filters cut down on the flare and glare? I imagine it's not completely dealt with, but wondering if it's enough to pass on lens hood?
I honestly don't think the ND or Polarizing Filters will make much difference at all, perhaps the coated ones will reduce reflection to a greater or lesser degree, but I still think you need one of the lens hoods, it makes a huge difference when I'm flying unless I'm pointed at the sun.

@Motley

Great design! Version 4 printed perfect after adding a 4mm raft. Upon my first print attempt the print began to lift and the raft solved that big time!

I am now willing to charge stupid prices and send these to any members that would like them printed. :)

I ran a Litchi mission last weekend pretty much into the sun (maybe 20 degrees above) with a Polar Pro ND16/PL and could see noticeable glare on the lens. I think the hood would have helped.

Reactions: camfirstflyer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3