DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Firmware & FAA reg number?

m4v1c

Reactions
Hello all,

I haven't gotten to fly my Mavic for over 1.5 months (early May) now and haven't really kept up to date about the drone community. It appears some major changes have occured and would love some clarification.

1) This recent DJI update, does it restrict all DJI owners to 50m (distance) & 30m (altitude) if you don't update? What's the reason behind it? Why wouldn't/shouldn't update? How does this impact drone usage in general--esp for a nature/landscape droner who flys outside of the city.

2) Do I have to sign into my DJI account everytime I fly (after I do this update)? I use an iPad WIFI only thus don't have access to data/internet, thus can I not fly beyond those restrictions if I don't login in (since logging requires data/internet right?)? I fly when i'm out on a hike with no internet source

3) So is it official that ALL drones do NOT require a registration #? Is everyone removing their reg # from their drone now?

Thanks, I'll continue to update myself with the current drone news

For now FAA registrations is not a requirement due to a recent court ruling.
App/FW updating is optional, it's all up to you.

1) This recent DJI update, does it restrict all DJI owners to 50m (distance) & 30m (altitude) if you don't update? What's the reason behind it? Why wouldn't/shouldn't update? How does this impact drone usage in general--esp for a nature/landscape droner who flys outside of the city.

2) Do I have to sign into my DJI account everytime I fly (after I do this update)? I use an iPad WIFI only thus don't have access to data/internet, thus can I not fly beyond those restrictions if I don't login in (since logging requires data/internet right?)? I fly when i'm out on a hike with no internet source
The following video explains these points in great detail:

For now FAA registrations is not a requirement due to a recent court ruling.
App/FW updating is optional, it's all up to you.

Caveat: for recreational use. The ruling doesn't apply to the commercial path, eg, part 107, you should still register your drones if you're going that path.

Reactions: rstekeur
The following video explains these points in great detail:

• I hate to ask this but I'm confused. I currently fly with a Nexus 7 II tablet that is wifi only. I understand that you have to log in again with Dji once your update is completed, here is where I'm confused.
  • Since my tablet is wifi only, will I be able to use it once I get to where I want to fly?
  • What happens if I need to change batteries at the same location?
  • I guess I'm also asking will I have to log in on every flight as this will be problematic using a table with no cellular service. I guess I can use my iPhone but rather not. Sorry again for asking as I know this seems to be covered a lot. I just can't find my answer.
Thanks,
Theron

• I hate to ask this but I'm confused. I currently fly with a Nexus 7 II tablet that is wifi only. I understand that you have to log in again with Dji once your update is completed, here is where I'm confused.
  • Since my tablet is wifi only, will I be able to use it once I get to where I want to fly?
  • What happens if I need to change batteries at the same location?
  • I guess I'm also asking will I have to log in on every flight as this will be problematic using a table with no cellular service. I guess I can use my iPhone but rather not. Sorry again for asking as I know this seems to be covered a lot. I just can't find my answer.
Thanks,
Theron

You should only need to log in once, so long as you don't log out.

I have exactly the same setup, and have flown multiple batteries with the Nexus 7 without data more than once since updating to .800. Try it out where you have wifi to make sure it all works, but, so long as you stay logged in, you'll be fine.

Reactions: Memphis_Mavic
You should only need to log in once, so long as you don't log out.

I have exactly the same setup, and have flown multiple batteries with the Nexus 7 without data more than once since updating to .800. Try it out where you have wifi to make sure it all works, but, so long as you stay logged in, you'll be fine.
Thank you!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929