DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New iPad Pro: 600 nits!

kona

Reactions
I noticed that it has 600 nits, compared to the 400 nits of the current, already bright, screen. Like the current Pro it also has really useful anti-reflective coating -- I read in bright light a lot.

So I'm thinking of upgrading in part to use it for flying my Mavic.

yeah wish they would of kept on upgrading mini lineup. iPad mini 5 with 600 nit screen w/ anti reflective coating would of been nice.

10 inch is a bit big

I know. It's big. It's also impressive to see the stream that way though, almost immersive. The biggest issue is how unwieldy the RC becomes with it, and that the iPad covers the information on the RC's screen which I sometimes find useful (like when the app crashes).

383024d7a4fbeedcda81c93e86561991.jpg

9a00053300fb3eda36ada7567fafda08.jpg

I built this holder, which works very nice and doesn't cover the remote.

pre-ordered today, merchant tells me I'll have it the 14th, we shall see. physically the size is very close to the 9.7 pro, apple has just moved the screen edges closer to the frame edge, little brighter, A10, I might have to retire my S3 tab and use this at work too.

pre-ordered today, merchant tells me I'll have it the 14th, we shall see. physically the size is very close to the 9.7 pro, apple has just moved the screen edges closer to the frame edge, little brighter, A10, I might have to retire my S3 tab and use this at work too.
Interestingly it's quite a bit bigger actually: 1 cm longer and 0.5 cm wider.

Are you nitpicking? ;)

I don't think so. The screen diagonal is 0.8 inches larger but the iPad is 1 cm longer and and 0.5 cm wider. Increasing the screen diagonal by 0.8 inches while keeping the bezel size the same would increase the length would only be 1.6 cm bigger and 1.2 cm wider. So yes, the bezels shrunk but half of the screen size increase went into increasing the footprint.

It would need a mount for the Mavic, obviously, but sadly it also needs a mod to the mounts on P4P, I2 etc. as it is slightly too big for them.

On an iPhone 7 the high nits are only reached on auto brightness if sufficient ambient light is hitting the sensor. I wonder if the new iPad pros let you go to 600 nits all the time.

Another thought - even if it's exactly the same nits as iPhone 7, it will still be more visible because of the bigger size.

Reactions: kona
I don't think so. The screen diagonal is 0.8 inches larger but the iPad is 1 cm longer and and 0.5 cm wider. Increasing the screen diagonal by 0.8 inches while keeping the bezel size the same would increase the length would only be 1.6 cm bigger and 1.2 cm wider. So yes, the bezels shrunk but half of the screen size increase went into increasing the footprint.

Was word play, on the 600 v 400 nits. ;)

Reactions: kona
I know. It's big. It's also impressive to see the stream that way though, almost immersive. The biggest issue is how unwieldy the RC becomes with it, and that the iPad covers the information on the RC's screen which I sometimes find useful (like when the app crashes).

Where I can buy this iPad support?

Not seeing much difference right now. iPad Pro 9.7 on left 10.5 on right. True tone off on both. Auto brightness on and slider set to max on both. Maybe outside in bright light it will crank the backlight up higher.

8ec3e20a0efba59639985e05405144b6.jpg

I wouldn't get too carried away by the difference between 400 and 600 nits. My understanding is it works on a logarithmic scale, and you'd have to say double the nit numbers to get a 10% increase in brightness. My television is about 600 nits, and it wouldn't be very watchable if I took it outside on a sunny day.

Television manufacturers are seeking the holy grail of 2000-5000 nits. It'd have to go that high before people noticed a real difference over the sub-1000 nit sets we all watch at the moment.

It would need a mount for the Mavic, obviously, but sadly it also needs a mod to the mounts on P4P, I2 etc. as it is slightly too big for them.
It is very tight, has to be pressed into p4p mount, but it does fit for me. But in the interest of not eventually detaching the foam on the mount I will probably use the extension for the mount.

I've used my iPad Pro 12.9 1st gen usually in my car mounted via magnetic mounts to the dash, so not so unwieldy in that situation.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motiongraphics50