DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
Hi guys, I decided to make my own leg extensions, and here it's my 1st prototype, a bit influenced by scifi movies... :) Just made some shorts flights (we have a winter storm warning in effect!) and it worked well. You can check the model in 3D here.
Already working on another model.

I like the models you've come up with :) I just have two concerns:

1. I think having such a small and singular contact point for the rear might be a little risky. I would just be worried about the Mavic having a bit of a wobble while landing, and with no real support, one of the rear props could dip low enough to strike the ground.

2. Isn't that rear leg directly underneath one of the sensors?

Given the two concerns above, I would personally prefer something more like a double-pronged or V-shape for the rear landing gear. Just my 2c

I like the models you've come up with :) I just have two concerns:

1. I think having such a small and singular contact point for the rear might be a little risky. I would just be worried about the Mavic having a bit of a wobble while landing, and with no real support, one of the rear props could dip low enough to strike the ground.

2. Isn't that rear leg directly underneath one of the sensors?

Given the two concerns above, I would personally prefer something more like a double-pronged or V-shape for the rear landing gear. Just my 2c

Hi, I'm glad you like my models. :)

You are right about the sensor and I am thinking about a new design for the rear leg. But beside of that, I am using my extensions for a while (pretty snowy around there...) with no issues (even in windy situations). I have even performed auto takeoff and landing without problems...

Reactions: JLane and bsshog40
I bought THESE, and they work great, lift the Macic 1,25" in the front, and back, weighs in at an even 20gr, and gives you a nice place on the back leg to place a tracker. They are really small and light, and can be installed or removed very fast, with a nice stable stance. The under body of the Mavic is 2" off the ground when installed and they do not interfere with the sensors. I recommend them. You can also fold up the drone with the extenders on, but you would have to store the Mavic with the battery down as the back would be so tall as to make the gimbal dome hit the surface it is sitting on.

Last edited:
I bought THESE, and they work great, lift the Macic 1,25" in the front, and back, weighs in at an even 20gr, and gives you a nice place on the back leg to place a tracker. They are really small and light, and can be installed or removed very fast, with a nice stable stance. The under body of the Mavic is 2" off the ground when installed and they do not interfere with the sensors. I recommend them.

Good to hear you like them, i'm waiting on the polarpro ones (on the way as we speak) and have these as well.
I'll be testing them both soon.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I decided to make my own leg extensions, and here it's my 1st prototype, a bit influenced by scifi movies... :) Just made some shorts flights (we have a winter storm warning in effect!) and it worked well. You can check the model in 3D here.
Already working on another model.
Shades of the Imperial Walker!! Look good, how much do they weigh?

My only concern with the legs created by @jvouillon is the fact that they look like ski sleds, aren't you concerned with the Mavic "slipping" away if the surface is not level? Maybe not a concern for most but I live in a place where in the winter you either learn to land/take-off on snow or you don't fly (or there is hand-catching I guess).

I would consider making the rear landing leg more like the other 3D prints that are out there for the legs which basically puts 2 legs off to each side of the downward facing camera/sensor or possibly even further back.

Last edited:
I bought THESE, and they work great, lift the Macic 1,25" in the front, and back, weighs in at an even 20gr, and gives you a nice place on the back leg to place a tracker. They are really small and light, and can be installed or removed very fast, with a nice stable stance. The under body of the Mavic is 2" off the ground when installed and they do not interfere with the sensors. I recommend them. You can also fold up the drone with the extenders on, but you would have to store the Mavic with the battery down as the back would be so tall as to make the gimbal dome hit the surface it is sitting on.

Did you have any tilt on the mavic yet on un even ground, i'm concerned about the tripod stance and resulting propellor contact if so?

My only concern with the legs created by @Crusader is the fact that they look like ski sleds, aren't you concerned with the Mavic "slipping" away if the surface is not level? Maybe not a concern for most but I live in a place where in the winter you either learn to land/take-off on snow or you don't fly (or there is hand-catching I guess).

I would consider making the rear landing leg more like the other 3D prints that are out there for the legs which basically puts 2 legs off to each side of the downward facing camera/sensor or possibly even further back.

What do you mean by ski sleds?

DJI_Mavic_Landing_Gear_1024x1024.jpg

Did you have any tilt on the mavic yet on un even ground, i'm concerned about the tripod stance and resulting propellor contact if so?
No, with the extenders on the Mavic sits level and 2" off the ground, and very stable. The rear leg is actually 2 legs about 2.5" apart, and they just snap into the slots under the quad. The velcro tab on the rear leg is for my tracker.
IMG_1673.jpg IMG_1671.jpg IMG_1672.jpg IMG_1674.jpg

Hi John, on Sketchfab, you should have a button "download" just below the window with the 3D model. Otherwise, you can also download the set from thingiverse. FYI I have printed the legs with a Makerbot Replicator, with 40% infill and no support.

Thanks for the info!

Im buying a 3D printer soon and mainly because of the photos people like yourself have posted of awesome little inventions such as these. Ive spent 100$ for a few diff leg extension kits recently so Ive realized the value in a 3d printer let me tell ya :p

Thanks for the info!

Im buying a 3D printer soon and mainly because of the photos people like yourself have posted of awesome little inventions such as these. Ive spent 100$ for a few diff leg extension kits recently so Ive realized the value in a 3d printer let me tell ya :p
LOL, having one can definitely lower the cost of trying out these various designs. Keep in mind however that buying a 3D printer is not the end of it, like any other hobby it will cost you more money after purchase (filament, maintenance, etc) but hopefully that outweighs the money you would spend otherwise. I think it is a great investment but definitely will require some time and patience to learn to get good results.

No, with the extenders on the Mavic sits level and 2" off the ground, and very stable. The rear leg is actually 2 legs about 2.5" apart, and they just snap into the slots under the quad. The velcro tab on the rear leg is for my tracker.
View attachment 4247 View attachment 4248 View attachment 4249 View attachment 4250

What i ment was when coming in for a landing under a slight angle (wind gust) and the back extender clips something, it looks like it can tip over and damage the rear left or right prop.
I hope not because i have the same extenders (but no Mavic yet to test my theory).

What i ment was when coming in for a landing under a slight angle (wind gust) and the back extender clips something, it looks like it can tip over and damage the rear left or right prop.
I hope not because i have the same extenders (but no Mavic yet to test my theory).
What is velcro for? And would there be any benefit to making the rear "y" out under the arms for a wider stance?

I never come in for a landing at an angle, this is not a racer or 3D quad. I always land vertical from a few feet altitude, actually you are more likely to clip a prop without the extenders as the Mavic sits one inch above the ground without them, and when landing in even medium tall grass it becomes a weed eater. If the ground is rocky or sloped I hand catch.

I think some of you are getting carried away with the extenders :) just a simple 1" lift is plenty to get the Mavic up to clear most stuff, if the landing spot requires 4" lift you might want to hand catch, very easy to do. I don't have room in my bag for a set of stilts :D

Reactions: Drone Master
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS