DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
Here it's the new version, less fancy but works fine too.
The model can be seen/downloaded here.
Here it is a new version of the legs.
You can get the STL files here: Mavic Legs Mk2 by jvouillon
I printed a set of jvouillon's 2nd version. They fit well and yet are easy to install/remove. While waiting for a version with a rear leg that doesn't interfere with the sensor I made one that isn't as refined but will do the job till one is available. First png shows comparison of stock, jvouillon's, and experimental rear leg. Second show rear leg close ups. Third show both rear legs - they are laying as printed. I took my measurements of jv's but my mounting ears had to be sanded but now work fine.

Attachments

• LG Extension Comparison 1a.png
    LG Extension Comparison 1a.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 75
  • LG Extension Comparison 2.png
    LG Extension Comparison 2.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 75
  • LG Extension Comparison 3.png
    LG Extension Comparison 3.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 72
Reactions: jvouillon
Real question : Why do you need these? My experience is the Mavic is incredibly stable on landings. I just find a hard flat area and put it down. I hand catch maybe 1 of 20 landings. If I find that the landing area is unsuitable e.g. Sand, mud, rocky raising it an inch doesn't change much. Heck this past weekend I was flying in an area that was extremely muddy. Accessible only by 4x4 or in my case SxS.. I found a flat dry area about 3 feet by 3 feet to take off. Then while up I walked 100 feet to a hilltop to fly. I fell, mud was everywhere. Got low on battery and didn't want to hand catch because I had an inch of mud on my hands. Hit RTH. Bird precision landed 3 inches from where I launched on the only dry spot for a half a mile. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just installed the new silicon style leg extenders which weigh less than the typical plastic ones and look a lot better I think.
4be70fc4ca9cbbffd1b0e9b741f14e89.jpg
82bbc4b72115056101ded2ac17666ff8.jpg
2586733fc801307c4a23b1c01640cc27.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Real question : Why do you need these? My experience is the Mavic is incredibly stable on landings. I just find a hard flat area and put it down. I hand catch maybe 1 of 20 landings. If I find that the landing area is unsuitable e.g. Sand, mud, rocky raising it an inch doesn't change much. Heck this past weekend I was flying in an area that was extremely muddy. Accessible only by 4x4 or in my case SxS.. I found a flat dry area about 3 feet by 3 feet to take off. Then while up I walked 100 feet to a hilltop to fly. I fell, mud was everywhere. Got low on battery and didn't want to hand catch because I had an inch of mud on my hands. Hit RTH. Bird precision landed 3 inches from where I launched on the only dry spot for a half a mile. Lol.

Just another capability to use when needed - not always necessary. They are very easy to install and remove, and very inexpensive - especially for us 3D printer guys. I can imagine an expanse of nice lawn that's tall enough that you would rather not mow it with the drone on takeoff or landing. When you find that dry bare spot in the wilderness it's usually not perfectly flat. The camera is extremely close to the ground and it could hit before the landing gear - these make it less likely. Yes you can always hand catch - but many would rather not. Hand catch was easy with the Phantom, you have to be little more focused with the Mavic. So no one say's they are mandatory, just another option. And for us 3D printer guys it's just fun to design and make.

Main reason is sometimes you don't have a clear flat spot to land, especially in an emergency. Also, some people take off and land in sandy or snowy areas and raising the Mavic will help avoid prop wash blowing a bunch of stuff into the intake/camera. Personally I use a Landing pad I bought for these situations but again you have to plan for emergencies.

Just another capability to use when needed - not always necessary. . And for us 3D printer guys it's just fun to design and make.

Got it.

Main reason is sometimes you don't have a clear flat spot to land, especially in an emergency. Also, some people take off and land in sandy or snowy areas and raising the Mavic will help avoid prop wash blowing a bunch of stuff into the intake/camera. Personally I use a Landing pad I bought for these situations but again you have to plan for emergencies.

I understand your point. I just don't believe raising the Mavic an inch would then make it ok to land it in the snow, mud or sand. In all of those situations I would catch it or put down something to land it on. The only time I think I would use them is in tall grass... I get that.

I believe you guys have some very creative ideas. These feet definitely add style and character to your Mavic I just don't personally see the functionality. All good though gents. I will graciously bow out of your thread.

Maybe I am getting carried away with things, but I ended up getting a FlatHat landing pad and the Polar Pro Landing Extenders.

I'm planning to use the FlatHat for everyday use and the Landing Extenders for when I'm hiking or just need to be super light with gear and run into that situation where the ground just isn't optimal.

Yes, you can hand catch. I just rather not. It will be that one day that I think hand catching is easy peasy, and then end up coming home without my ring finger. Wife not happy!

Maybe I am getting carried away with things, but I ended up getting a FlatHat landing pad and the Polar Pro Landing Extenders.

I'm planning to use the FlatHat for everyday use and the Landing Extenders for when I'm hiking or just need to be super light with gear and run into that situation where the ground just isn't optimal.

Yes, you can hand catch. I just rather not. It will be that one day that I think hand catching is easy peasy, and then end up coming home without my ring finger. Wife not happy!

Right, like I said I use a landing pad as well but there are always emergencies.

I just don't believe raising the Mavic an inch would then make it ok to land it in the snow, mud or sand. In all of those situations I would catch it or put down something to land it on. The only time I think I would use them is in tall grass... I get that.
Agreed and why I use a landing pad unless emergency.

And lifting your Mavic even 1" could possibly spare your camera if you happen to land in a flat spot but don't notice a small rock sitting right where the gimbal would be when landing. Remember that the Mavic's camera/gimbal is only about 1/2 an inch off the ground without the extensions.

I believe you guys have some very creative ideas. These feet definitely add style and character to your Mavic I just don't personally see the functionality. All good though gents. I will graciously bow out of your thread.

It's all good, everyone has there ways of doing things and their own reasons for doing them.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54