DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic, crashed during second flight

chevol

Reactions
Got my drone yesterday AM and was super excited, early Father's day present. Did everything and took her on her maiden flight and all was well, this drone is freakin amazing. Second flight, same as the first, took her up to about 250 ft to get a view of the neighborhood. Was flying for a while, panning around looking at my house, and I get an alert stating there was wind and to fly cautiously, I started to take her down slowly. After about 50 feet of decent she just drops in a death spin and I get a message saying Motor Current Error, I hear the motors just stop, and she fell out of the sky from about 200ft and landed in the grass. The gimbal is broken off, one arm broke off as well as both landing legs are bent.

I do have Care Refresh, I went thru the online claim process and I have a claim number now and everything. However, I have not received a UPS label or an email letting me know what to do next. Do I just wait for a UPS shipping label? Do they email it or use snail mail to deliver it? I have read some forum posts in here and it seems like this can be a lengthy process. During the online process they asked me to pay the $79, which I did, so does that speed things up any at all? I would also like to know what happened so I can know what to do differently in the future, will they be able to provide that for me as well? Thanks everyone, I am new here but the forums seems to be filled with knowledge and good people.

I would like for someone to look over my .DAT file and let me know what I did wrong(if anything) so this doesn't happen again. I'm also thinking about canceling my Care Refresh Express case so they can investigate a possible hardware issue. This drone was brand new and only had 13 minutes of flight time.

Here is my .DAT File, thanks for the assistance during this hard time :)
Dropbox - FLY007.DAT

Reactions: Knemir and pai
Got my drone yesterday AM and was super excited, early Father's day present. Did everything and took her on her maiden flight and all was well, this drone is freakin amazing. Second flight, same as the first, took her up to about 250 ft to get a view of the neighborhood. Was flying for a while, panning around looking at my house, and I get an alert stating there was wind and to fly cautiously, I started to take her down slowly. After about 50 feet of decent she just drops in a death spin and I get a message saying Motor Current Error, I hear the motors just stop, and she fell out of the sky from about 200ft and landed in the grass. The gimbal is broken off, one arm broke off as well as both landing legs are bent.

I do have Care Refresh, I went thru the online claim process and I have a claim number now and everything. However, I have not received a UPS label or an email letting me know what to do next. Do I just wait for a UPS shipping label? Do they email it or use snail mail to deliver it? I have read some forum posts in here and it seems like this can be a lengthy process. During the online process they asked me to pay the $79, which I did, so does that speed things up any at all? I would also like to know what happened so I can know what to do differently in the future, will they be able to provide that for me as well? Thanks everyone, I am new here but the forums seems to be filled with knowledge and good people.

I would like for someone to look over my .DAT file and let me know what I did wrong(if anything) so this doesn't happen again. I'm also thinking about canceling my Care Refresh Express case so they can investigate a possible hardware issue. This drone was brand new and only had 13 minutes of flight time.

Dropbox - FLY007.DAT
I am very sorry to hear of your crash, that is a major drag. I think I would pursue a straight warranty replacement, if the drone was brand new you should not have to use your care refresh unless there was some sort of operator error.

I think I would pursue a straight warranty replacement, if the drone was brand new you should not have to use your care refresh unless there was some sort of operator error.

I was thinking the same thing too, I just want to make sure it wasn't operator error before I cancel that case and open a different one. The drone was not even a day old, I bought it about 10AM and charged it and upgraded firmware and had first flight around 2PM then took it on her second flight about 4:30PM and that's when the crash happened.

I was thinking the same thing too, I just want to make sure it wasn't operator error before I cancel that case and open a different one. The drone was not even a day old, I bought it about 10AM and charged it and upgraded firmware and had first flight around 2PM then took it on her second flight about 4:30PM and that's when the crash happened.
Someone should be along and take a look at your .dat file and give you a better idea of what happend. If it was not operator error and you get any flak on a new replacement I would call your credit card company.

Ok, thanks. I will keep that in mind. I truly do believe it was not operator error, but I am fairly new to drones (well had plenty of Ar Parrots), but I am not ruling it out.

Dropbox - FLY007.DAT
Took a quick look at this flight. It would seem there was an issue with the right back motor. The commanded speed (PWM %), current, and ESC temp of the right back all went up relative to the other motors. Here the right back is the green trace
upload_2017-6-16_11-49-48.png
upload_2017-6-16_11-49-59.png
upload_2017-6-16_11-50-13.png

Also the spinning was clockwise which is consistent with a motor/prop issue with either the right back or left front.

One thing that is puzzling is that the recording stops abruptly while the altitude was 28.5 meters. This is consistent with your observation. Don't know why that happened.

Thank you BudWalker for taking a look at my flight log. The right back motor and remaining prop don't move as smooth as the others do, but it did take a fall from pretty high up. I also thought that when I heard the motors turn off that it was odd behavior, I am guessing that is when the recoding stops at 28.5 meters. Well thanks again for looking at this data, I have been struggling with trying to figure out what I did wrong. Maybe I didn't do anything and there was just a mechanical malfunction. I do hope DJI can tell me what happened as I will be forever afraid that this will happen again.

Thank you BudWalker for taking a look at my flight log. The right back motor and remaining prop don't move as smooth as the others do, but it did take a fall from pretty high up. I also thought that when I heard the motors turn off that it was odd behavior, I am guessing that is when the recoding stops at 28.5 meters. Well thanks again for looking at this data, I have been struggling with trying to figure out what I did wrong. Maybe I didn't do anything and there was just a mechanical malfunction. I do hope DJI can tell me what happened as I will be forever afraid that this will happen again.
Definitely not pilot error. Clearly a Mavic malfunction. I've never seen this type of malfunction. There is no reason to be concerned that the replacement will exhibit the same behavior.

Reactions: m0j0 and scooot
Glad you got it figured out, there are some very fine and helpful folk on this forum.

Reactions: scooot
Thanks for the reassurance BudWalker, it makes me feel a bit more confident. Bunny Too, thanks, I love being in a forum with helpful folks!

Just an update, I spent 3+ hours on the phone with DJI, trying to get it switched from Care Refresh Express to just Care Refresh. For those like me that don't know what the difference is, its simple. Refresh Express they don't look at Flight Logs or check to see who was at fault. They just wait until your drone comes in and they verify all the pieces are there and then ship you out a replacement. Thus saving you precious days without your drone. Care Refresh they get your drone and look at the Flight Logs and determine who was at fault and also give you an estimate of repairs, you can then choose to use your refresh (get 2/yr) or standard repair and they will send you a replacement. So I changed it and sent the drone off on Friday, they were kind enough to change the shipping to 2nd day air. So my drone is scheduled to be delivered to DJI on Tuesday. I'll post again when I hear anything else from DJI. Just documenting the process here for others.

Reactions: Bunny Too
Quick update, well I got an Invoice today, smh. They didn't look at Flight Logs, just gave me an invoice for repair. I already paid the $79 on 6/15/2017 before I sent the Drone out as per DJI's request. I am flabbergasted by this level of support. What am I getting charged a second time for $79 or at all? This issue was a manufacturer error and not pilot error. This is starting to get frustrating to say the least and calling support seems to get nowhere.

Dropbox - FLY007.DAT

Whew! I'm sorry to hear that. Well actually first i bought my mavic i also crashed after a few seconds flying.... Lol! It's my first time using drone though. I tried claiming warranty at first but i got bad experience for a month without repairing! "Go figure " So i decided ask them to send my mavic back and repair it by myself... ... hope you got your drone repaired soon .

Reactions: trockyh
Hey guys, quick update. My drone will be delivered today. The whole process was horrible and I am far from pleased. I could NEVER get DJI to look at the flight logs, no matter how hard I pushed. They had issues refunding the $79 I paid before I sent my Mavic in for repair. So they would not look at the Flight Logs, I know it sounds strange but that's just what they did. My only option was the $79 repair which ate at my 2 times repair from Care Refresh. I am on the fence on weather this is a good deal, I honestly would be better off with State Farm PAAS policy and I do plan on getting that as soon as my drone arrives. I am worried as there was smoke and burning coming out the main body of my drone but yet there were no parts replaced in that area. So I am sitting here waiting for UPS and hoping that the drone is indeed functional and in full working condition.

Just pray your drone never gets damaged or malfunctions, because DJI support is one of the WORST in the business! DJI is garbage and a laughable company, we all need to have second thoughts about giving them anymore of our money. The support is so far below the average its laughable.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme