DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic in Ajax ON

I am new here. Not in Ajax but in Markham. Where you guys flying your Mavic? Can't really find a place in Markham to fly.

Keith-Markham I'm no expert on the rules, but if you live in Toronto (or in Markham) you're going to find it hard to find spaces to fly that meet the regulations. The big one is "no flying within 9km of an airport".
So in Toronto the Billy Bishop Island Airport that rule covers an area west of High Park, well north of Eglinton Ave, and east of Ashbridges Bay.
And Downsview and Toronto International airports rule out most of the North.
And then on top of that the rules say not near any buildings...
I'd suggest flying in a park not near an airport - in Ajax I flew over Duffins Creek yesterday and it was great.
So for the pilots in Kawartha and Brooklin you're in for a lot of great flying choices!
Happy droning!

Last edited:
I am new here. Not in Ajax but in Markham. Where you guys flying your Mavic? Can't really find a place in Markham to fly.
Keith I have a thought for you down lower in the chain - because Markham will indeed be difficult to fly in under the currents Regs.

Reactions: Techstar
Keith-Markham I'm no expert on the rules, but if you live in Toronto (or in Markham) you're going to find it hard to find spaces to fly that meet the regulations. The big one is "no flying within 9km of an airport".
So in Toronto the Billy Bishop Island Airport that rule covers an area west of High Park, well north of Eglinton Ave, and east of Ashbridges Bay.
And Downsview and Toronto International airports rule out most of the North.
And then on top of that the rules say not near any buildings...
I'd suggest flying in a park not near an airport - in Ajax I flew over Duffins Creek yesterday and it was great.
So for the pilots in Kawartha and Brooklin you're in for a lot of great flying choices!
Happy droning!
I live on a lake, and a guy that lives across from us, has his own plane. On the hover app it says its a NFZ. And we also have 4 or 5 float planes on our lake.

Welcome friends !! Don't forget If you ever need to mod your birds I'm in the Toronto area ! www.maxxuav.ca

If you ever have trouble with interference or obstacles .. let me know !! Or if you just have questions !! I'm just a lover of the hobby like the rest of them !! Fly safe & let's keep the hobby fun !!

Reactions: GoodGuy
I'm in Courtice and I fly quite often down by the lake and in a nearby soccer field. Having said that we are out in farm country. I've flown a lot around here.

Hi Guys,
I'm in the east end as well, and looking to get a Mavic as well. Was thinking of the spark, but I think the mavic will be better overall for just a few more $$.

I saw that they reduced the Airport NFZ to 5.5kms now which is great.

For you guys up in the Kawathas, and cottage country, there are a lot of NFZ due to float places. Can you still get your Mavic to take off on your property and say fly say 20- 50ft up? or will the Mavic stay grounded? (I'm new to DJI Drones so don't know how they restrict them)

Would love to have someone show me a Mavic in flight if anyone needs company sometime :)

cheers

Bri.

Hello GoodGuy - Whitby here and right near the lake. I fly in the field across from the abilities centre. Brand new myself and have a few flights under my belt.

I found a few open fields on south Lakeridge as well.

Let me know if you want to meet up.

Tim

Hi Guys,
I'm in the east end as well, and looking to get a Mavic as well. Was thinking of the spark, but I think the mavic will be better overall for just a few more $$.

For you guys up in the Kawathas, and cottage country, there are a lot of NFZ due to float places. Can you still get your Mavic to take off on your property and say fly say 20- 50ft up? or will the Mavic stay grounded? (I'm new to DJI Drones so don't know how they restrict them)

Would love to have someone show me a Mavic in flight if anyone needs company sometime :)

cheers

Bri.
I live ona lake with a lot of float planes an a guy across from us has his own airstrip. He's actually my uncles neighbor. I have no problem flying my Mavic. There's someone else around here with a phantom that keeps hovering around our place.

I live ona lake with a lot of float planes an a guy across from us has his own airstrip. He's actually my uncles neighbor. I have no problem flying my Mavic. There's someone else around here with a phantom that keeps hovering around our place.

Ah, nice. My mother inlaw's on Lake Scugog. There's a water plane place at one end, but it looks to be clear at the other end. Would be nice to try and find someone to see a mavic pro in person.

Hi Guys,

cheers

Bri.

You cannot take off if it's in DJI marked red zone. You can see this on the web in their zone maps. There is a workaround right now but not sure how long it will last ;)

You cannot take off if it's in DJI marked red zone. You can see this on the web in their zone maps. There is a workaround right now but not sure how long it will last ;)

thanks.. I'll see if I can find the DJI maps.
Eedit: Found them.. DJI - Fly Safe: No Fly Zones

oh, btw next year I'm off to Australia and NZ, that's the other justification with the Mavic. :)

I live on a lake, and a guy that lives across from us, has his own plane. On the hover app it says its a NFZ. And we also have 4 or 5 float planes on our lake.
I'm a private pilot (VFR rated) and don't have my float rating, but I can bet the guy across the lake probably doesn't want to bash into your Mavic on landing or takeoff... So yeah, the NFZ doesn't surprise me. Maybe chat with him and let him know about our hobby, and ask if he's going to be doing a pre-landing circuit beforehand? That would give you plenty of time to get the drone "home" and out of his way. And for sure you're going to hear him warming up for take off...

Hello GoodGuy - Whitby here and right near the lake. I fly in the field across from the abilities centre. Brand new myself and have a few flights under my belt.

I found a few open fields on south Lakeridge as well.

Let me know if you want to meet up.

Tim
Tim nice to meet you - we should plan a weekend morning to do a flight down by the Ajax or Whitby waterfront! Some pretty spots down there and I'd love to learn more by watching what someone else does. Here's the local footage from Duffins Creek last weekend:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost