DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic Owner (Northern VA area)

folk_me

Reactions
Greetings Mavic Pilots! This is my first official post on the site! I received my drone last month but due to an unexpected month-long work trip to Japan, I've yet to actually fly the bird!

I'm from the Northern Virginia area (Alexandria) and was hoping this fine community could point me in the direction of some flying locations. As any NOVA resident is learning, finding a legal spot is becoming harder and harder these days.

I really only want to start learning and getting a feel for the drone so I don't necessarily need the most gorgeous landscape. Just a park or parking lot will suffice. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks pilots!

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

Reactions: folk_me
Well you’re in the dreaded Washington DC no fly zone. I’m not familiar with the Virginia laws, but across the river in Maryland the drone laws are very liberal once outside of the DC 15 mile do not fly zone in Maryland you can fly pretty much anywhere except for Federal parks.

The governor passed a ban on any jurisdiction from establishing any drone regulations until the state could do a study on drones.

Reactions: folk_me
Virginia is pretty open for flying as long as you have owner permission to fly over their property.
I have found all I have to do is introduce myself and show my Mavic and folks say have fun.
Try driving out I66 to Gainesville and get off that exit and look around, you should find a place to play.
If your ever down I81 toward Staunton I have 100's of acres to fly, drop me a line.

Virginia is pretty open for flying as long as you have owner permission to fly over their property.
I have found all I have to do is introduce myself and show my Mavic and folks say have fun.
Try driving out I66 to Gainesville and get off that exit and look around, you should find a place to play.
If your ever down I81 toward Staunton I have 100's of acres to fly, drop me a line.

Thanks for the tip highview! I have a trip to Costa Rica coming up in a month and since this is my first drone, I want to get as much practice in as possible!

Well you’re in the dreaded Washington DC no fly zone. I’m not familiar with the Virginia laws, but across the river in Maryland the drone laws are very liberal once outside of the DC 15 mile do not fly zone in Maryland you can fly pretty much anywhere except for Federal parks.

The governor passed a ban on any jurisdiction from establishing any drone regulations until the state could do a study on drones.

SkyNinja, I actually work out of Southern Maryland so that's great news. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: SkyNinja
On Northern Virginia area flying you can head west of Leesburg 15-30 minutes to Shepherdstown (The Rumsey Monument), Hamilton and Waterford. Waterford has the Quaker Cemetery and the Union Cemetery. The cemeteries are interesting spots but you should take great care not to disturb anyone visiting nor allow your drone to hit a headstone (be respectful).
The Rumsey monument location is next to the river and a train trestle.
In all cases the B4UFly app indicated no flight restrictions in those locations at the time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61