DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic Pilot in Melbourne Australia - need good fly spots!!

BigTime

Reactions
Greetings fellow Mavic flyers!!

Reasonably green to this whole drone thing and am trying to compile a list of good fly spots in and around Melbourne. We have a dog so looking more for spots where we can take the mutt while also getting some awesome footage - but all recommendations are welcome, throw em at me!!

Am living in the West but can travel anywhere!

Thanks!
Ryan

First off download the CASA App "Can I fly there?". Very simple to use but also very comprehensive maps and regulatory info. A must have for flying anywhere in Oz. Also download, print, and carry with you CASA's "Flying your drone for fun" brochure:
rpa_brochure_recreational_dl_150dpi.pdf | Civil Aviation Safety Authority

Then if you have a paranoid person approach you whip it out so it shows you are keeping within the law.

And as to your original Q. ".. good fly spots?" ...... anywhere there's no people :)

First off download the CASA App "Can I fly there?". Very simple to use but also very comprehensive maps and regulatory info. A must have for flying anywhere in Oz. Also download, print, and carry with you CASA's "Flying your drone for fun" brochure:
rpa_brochure_recreational_dl_150dpi.pdf | Civil Aviation Safety Authority

Then if you have a paranoid person approach you whip it out so it shows you are keeping within the law.

And as to your original Q. ".. good fly spots?" ...... anywhere there's no people :)

This is exactly what I did. In Hobby Co and other stores they actually have some yellow leaflets with the same info printed by CASA.
I have always with me at least 3 or 4. When people approaches what I do I always try to explain and even allow them to try fly for a bit.

But yeah some people will get annoyed just by seeing a controller in your hands.

Hi guys, Newbie here. took my Mavic to the You Yangs on the weekend.. it was great. bit windy up there but still had a ball.

Hi guys, Newbie here. took my Mavic to the You Yangs on the weekend.. it was great. bit windy up there but still had a ball.
I believe technically it's a state park(?) hence not allowed to fly RPA. Can't for the life of me see why. Walkers and horse riders disturb wildlife more than a MP.

Nat Parks have varied bans / rules in all states.
You'd have to check Vic parks to be sure on what / where they restrict.
Pretty sure you are right out of luck with all parks there, unless pro / permits etc.
Most states (where flying is permitted for recreation) require a permit to be obtained.

SA has the most restricted, just a flat out total ban on rec flying in ALL National Parks, Conservation Parks, and Reserves.
Commercial flyers can get a permit, but $$$, obviously to deter people in reality.

This includes the Simpson Desert, a place I've been to 7 or 8 times in recent years, and it's so freaking awesome for dramatic footage, huge, open and bugger all people around, it's ridiculous to not be able to fly there with usual consideration for others and wildlife (as it is in many parks of similar isolation and very sparse visitation).

QLD has the most relaxed rules, you can fly anywhere in Parks, just avoid wildlife and follow CASA rules.
Be up there for a few weekends soon and get down the SE QLD border parks for some flying.

Thanks for the info MAvic_south_oz.

It seems like the only way to find out what the regulations are is to fly in the parks and wait for reactions from Rangers. Shame as I think that out in the parks it's such an unobtrusive pastime. As in "aren't parks setup for people to enjoy"? I certainly don't want to interfere with wildlife but just by driving my car into parks I do anyway, and it's allowed. Flying an RPA is far less intrusive.

Nah mate, just google Victoria national park drone, you will find info.
You can only fly Vic parks, not sure if forests too, if you're licenced commercial, do permit applications, pay fees, a real bummer across most of Oz.

Download the free app suggested by DJI for Australia for no fy areas, this is very important for sticking with CASA guidelines . . . for iPhone or android search for Drone Complier, very comprehensive info, and you can tick for Nat Pks to be shown also.

I can definitely relate to Parks concerns re drones.
I'm a keen bushwalker too.

Unfortunately, many people often don't have much common sense or empathy to others in many parts of our society, eg. most wouldn't fly in a busy park on a weekend, sunny, families all about, safety issue and noise etc, but go back to that same place on a week day with no one around, keep away from animals etc, what harm ??
Authorities seem not interested in enforcing laws or rules about these, but just choose to blanket ban things, even BEFORE there have been any issues :/
Of course parks in each state are grossly underfunded and manpower limited, so they take the easy way out.

Anyway, enjoy the drone, I'm sure you will find some quiet and interesting places to fly within a decent driving range.

Greetings fellow Mavic flyers!!

Reasonably green to this whole drone thing and am trying to compile a list of good fly spots in and around Melbourne. We have a dog so looking more for spots where we can take the mutt while also getting some awesome footage - but all recommendations are welcome, throw em at me!!

Am living in the West but can travel anywhere!

Thanks!
Ryan
Sorry for the necro post, but I often ask the same question. National Parks are definitely off limits but I recently found this gem of information from Parks Victoria (posted Dec 2017) which limits our flying choices dramatically.

"With drones likely to be popular stocking fillers this Christmas, Parks Victoria is reminding visitors that launching and landing a drone is prohibited in the parks and reserves it manages across the State. Park rangers often see drones flown without a permit at Parks Victoria’s popular visitor spots such as the 12 Apostles, Albert Park, and the Grampians. Landing or launching a drone without a permit in parks can attract an infringement of $793.00, with a maximum fine of up to $3171.40."
(Source Parks Victoria - Leave your drone at home this summer)

I have made videos around Albert Park myself & didn't realise this. On your side of the city I would suggest Werribee River & the places around the Lerdergerg Gorge. Just check if the are state parks or not. Some places are helpful & erect signs, I went to fly at the park at the base of the Westgate Bridge & they had a sign saying no drones. Having said that, I have seen drone footage of the pink lake there.

I find Google maps useful for finding places to fly. I guess we just need to limit ourselves non Park places.

Good Luck,

Brett

Reactions: Hardgainer
I fortunatly live in WA where they recently lifted the ban on National Parks and my local authority likewise only requires complying with CASA regs.

I am not a lawyer but understand that a lot of authorities may be stepping beyond their legal powers with their bans - that was the advise my local council had.

Just don't launch or land within a park? Modern problems, modern solutions ... set to tracking mode, and let it follow you in/out with landing or launching. ?

But a knee jerk reaction to a non-issue, a shame.

Yep, you can do that :)
The thing I dislike about the whole take off / landing ban (where applied), is they actually make it more dangerous to fly over 'their' property !!
If you do keep VLOS as we are supposed to, you either have to go longer flying from the controller, or walk through with it to say a beach at dawn to film.
Just a nuisance really, and not much thought put into these possibly unenforceable rules.

Anyway, you don't see many signs about re this, and sometimes the individual council rules are buried deep in their website (bylaws), so I guess if flying cautiously, to CASA rules, and with consideration to others, you could plead you case to the Ranger and offer to land / immediately leave the area.

From what I've seen, the blanket ban councils use the same text, probably put out by some LGA in a state concerned (SA for me, but sometimes others interstate).

Anyway, you don't see many signs about re this, and sometimes the individual council rules are buried deep in their website (bylaws), so I guess if flying cautiously, to CASA rules, and with consideration to others, you could plead you case to the Ranger and offer to land / immediately leave the area.
This is the way I always try to fly & to date have never had anyone complain, mainly because there's rarely anyone around to complain. It's sad that these rules have come about because of an unruly minority, but I guess that is why most rules/laws are created. Be sensible & have consideration for others should be a way of life, not just applicable to drone flying.

Victorian Aerial Vision Videos

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
rules have come about because of an unruly minority, but I guess that is why most rules/laws are created.

Yep, and generally the dangerous inconsiderate flyers are the ones that will just do what they want anyway, despite rules, while all the sensible folk are penalised and inconvenienced.

Frustrating.

Can't see this changing, unless there is enough enforcement and higher penalties that are actually APPLIED now and then to deter this culture developing.

Anyway, sorry Ryan @BigTime for the deviation from your intro post.
Hope you're still out there having a good time with the Mavic !!

I have had contact with DELWP (Dept Environemnt, Land and Water Planning) who manage the Victorian State FORESTS (note carefully: state forests) in Vic. They say it's OK if I stick with CASA rules.
However, I also see a lot of state RESERVES as well (usually around the interesting stuff like waterfalls) and although managed by DELWP these RESERVES do NOT allow drones. (Hanging Rock, for example)...
(NOTE: DRONES NOT ALLOWED in state PARKS or Nat PARKS. They explicitly say NO)
Would love to see a list of interesting places that are only in state FORESTS... Still looking. Maybe Strath Creek falls in Mt Disappointment State FOREST. Doesn't appear to have a reserve around it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851