DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic Pilot

Ren57

Reactions
Okay, After waiting 3 months, my Mavic finally arrived. The first week when I got it, the weather was typically rubbish here in the United Kingdom. I spent the time getting to know all the controls and setting everything up. I've been flying drones for a few years now and I am in fact a Civil Aviation Authority approved commercial operator, that's the equivalent of a part 107 operator in the USA.

Back to the Mavic. The first flight was a triumph, things couldn't have gone better. Obviously I was very careful and basically just checked that everything was working and it was! Eager, I did a 2nd flight later in the day at a different location. Again everything was Okay except the DJIGO4 app crashed but I never lost control of the aircraft with the RC. I am generally very impressed with the quality of the Mavic considering it's a mass produced item. It feels solid and the design is brilliant. I bought it for its ease of transportation, no more carrying heavy boxes or bags everywhere! That and the fact that the camera can be tilted 30 degrees up, which makes it perfect for doing things like bridge inspections or looking under the eves of house roofs.

3rd flight (everything calibrated before the flight btw) and again the DJIGO4 app crashed again but this time about 10 seconds after that had happened, I lost the connection with the aircraft from the RC. A heart stopping moment as it just hovered where it was for about 10 seconds and then just shot off like a demented wasp! Anyway, I shouldn't have worried, it was in fact doing exactly what it's supposed to do if you lose connection with the RC, it returned to home, phew! And landed exactly where I had taken off from, impressive indeed.

I have now completed 8 flights with the Mavic and on 3 of them I've lost connection with the RC but each time that has happened, it's returned to home just like it's supposed to, so no real problem. But the thing is, it loses the signal with the RC far too often. This has never happened on any drone I have owned in the past. Obviously, I've been looking at this forum and it appears that loss of signal with the RC is not uncommon. But others seem to have been somewhat less fortunate than myself and had a fly away, whilst mine has always returned to home.

I haven't updated the firmware, mainly because I've been hearing/reading so many bad things about fly aways after the update and I'm a great believer in the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. That said it occurred to me that a firmware update might actually cure the disconnection with the RC problem but I doubt it. (especially after reading stuff on this forum) I'm on the 003 firmware and I see the latest is 005. I have deleted and re-installed the DJIGO4 app on my mobile devices and that seems to crash a lot less often now at least. But the thing is, something that costs as much as the Mavic does to buy, should be absolutely perfect or as near to perfect as it can be. Like I said, I've been flying drones for a good few years now and never had a disconnection with the RC on any of them, previous DJI and other manufacturers products.

So generally, very impressed with the Mavic. But the disconnecting with the RC problem has left a niggling doubt in the back of my mind, that one time when this happens it will fly away!

Ren57, Yesterday at 7:22 PM

Hi Ren,
I got mine about 3 weeks ago and have been flying at every available opportunity. 4 hours flying and 48 flights.
I updated the firmware to 01.03.05, from 04.
I had no issues on 04 at all, 05 has given me 3 video disconnects at a distance of 50' and an app crash at 70' yesterday.
So, I would recommend 04 and I am going to roll back. iPhone 6s+ airplane mode.
Have fun
SW11

Hi Soundtekk,
I'm mulling over whether to update the firmware or not. You say that 04 has been okay for you but I've read that others have had fly aways after installing it. All my disconnects have been when the Mavic has been pretty close to me, around 100ft or so. As long as it returns to home, I can live with that but it shouldn't happen!
Ren
S Manchester WA15

Use bottom usb turn on airplane mode I ended up debugging usb port on tablet works good

I had no issues whatsoever with .04. iOS worked really well.
I agree it shouldn't happen but....

Yes, I'm on Android. I know, I've heard that iOS works better but I'm not shelling out even more money on an Apple device when I already have 2 Android devices. And the thing is, it really shouldn't make any difference. The people at DJI that develop the apps should do their jobs better and make the bloody things work on all the devices they are designed for. And they should make the apps far more robust. I don't want to get into a DJI Vs Yuneec thing but my previous drone a Yuneec Q500 4K (Android built into the controller) the app never cashed EVER! And the DJIGO4 app should be the same, it's as simple as that.

What I'm more concerned about though, is the Mavic losing its connection with the remote controller, which has happened 3 times now in 8 flights. Each time it's happened it's returned to home, just like it should. But it's another thing that just shouldn't happen. I really like the Mavic, it is absolutely top drawer. But the disconnecting with the RC problem has placed the seeds of doubt in my mind that one time when this happens, it's all going to end in tears!

I am running the latest Firmware and no problems at all so far Ios on iphone7S.

i got a 1.4 mile flight in a few days ago and my take off point was pretty bad behind some trees yet at 60m high it was all good i got an RC disconnect at 1.4 miles (around 2300m i think).. No Problem i turned her around as i still had input and just flew her back myself until it all connected up again into GPS, i have only ever done one RTH from line of sight as a test and the MP was pretty spot on.
Crossed fingers the update for me has been all ok

Reactions: Soundtekk
Yes, I'm on Android. I know, I've heard that iOS works better but I'm not shelling out even more money on an Apple device when I already have 2 Android devices. And the thing is, it really shouldn't make any difference. The people at DJI that develop the apps should do their jobs better and make the bloody things work on all the devices they are designed for. And they should make the apps far more robust. I don't want to get into a DJI Vs Yuneec thing but my previous drone a Yuneec Q500 4K (Android built into the controller) the app never cashed EVER! And the DJIGO4 app should be the same, it's as simple as that.

What I'm more concerned about though, is the Mavic losing its connection with the remote controller, which has happened 3 times now in 8 flights. Each time it's happened it's returned to home, just like it should. But it's another thing that just shouldn't happen. I really like the Mavic, it is absolutely top drawer. But the disconnecting with the RC problem has placed the seeds of doubt in my mind that one time when this happens, it's all going to end in tears!
Something is wrong if you lose connection with the RC. I would start with uploading DAT files for experts on this forum to view.

Can't say I have incurred any of these issues with my mavic. 51 flights logged, with 7hrs 42mins flight time. Always run latest firmware on iPhone 6. No fly always. No disconnects or app crashes. Only thing iv encountered once is a choppy video feed, but a rearrange of the aerials sorted that...

I've had the same experience with the djigo4 app shutting down and also loosing connection, so I switched to litchi which was all good, although I did receive an email from litchi saying certain functions to avoid flying with due to a conflict with the latest firmware update from dji. So I did some research and found what seems to have worked for me, as an Android user I cleared the partition cache then every flight I make sure everything is shutdown in the background including clearing storage cache I also know that there has been an issue with Google play services which I found to be a problem for me so I disabled it and have not yet had any problems whatsoever, I use a note4 just for the mavic which works perfectly fine, I was originally using my everyday s7 edge but I found I had more problems with connections and djigo shutting down every flight so I figured it was better to be safe than sorry..ive over 20 years experience in rc flight and the mavic pro is by far my favourite, it's awesome hope this helps

I've done 4 more flights and had one more disconnect with the RC. It returned to home! I've also been mulling over whether to go for the Litchi app. I've been using an ASUS tablet for the Mavic which is running Android version 4.4.2 Since the latest DJIGO4 app update the ASUS tablet will no longer work with the DJIGO4 app? Tried uninstalling it and installing it again but I just get a black screen and a disconnected message. So I've had to start using my phone, which is running Android version 6.0. Seems to work alright on my phone but it still crashes far too often. I would like to install the Litchi app on my ASUS tablet but I'm worried that it might not work on Android version 4.4.2? Any advice would be greatly appreciated....

I'm using same tablet, had to unlock usb debugging works fine just a little lag

Reactions: Budmancan
Go to where it tells tablet info scroll down till you see build date hit it 7 times bingo your in scroll till you see debugging

Reinstall go4 when done, turn off Auto rotation, airplane mode should work

Okay! I tried everything you said and nothing, no joy it didn't work! But then I made a discovery by doing a bit of trial & error. When I have my ASUS tablet connected I use the USB cable that connects to the controller via the USB slot in the middle on the underside. When I have my phone connected, I use the connectors on the side of the controller. I do this because the connector cable on the side isn't long enough to connect my ASUS tablet and have it gripped by the legs of the controller, if you know what I mean. So I just checked by connecting my phone via the USB connector and the same, nothing. It just showed the same as my tablet did, disconnected. Of course I'm now suspecting the USB connector as the problem. So I jiggle the side connector around a bit and manage to slot it into my ASUS tablet (but can't have it gripped by the controller legs) and bingo! It works. So for some reason the USB slot in the controller has stopped working. It's not the cable because I tried another and it still didn't work. So all I need to do now is get a longer cable that will slot into the side connector and all should be good.

Agreed, it should be fixed but I've only just got my Mavic after waiting over 3 months. I don't want to get into sending stuff back and having to wait weeks to get flying again already! And in any case, flying with goggles is illegal in the United Kingdom, so it's something I'm never going to do.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ